Respin Mint for an opensource project

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChrisM

Respin Mint for an opensource project

Post by ChrisM »

I'm a Dev that works on linuxcnc an opensource machine controller project.
We supply a Debian based DVD to help new users get the required kernel/dependencies.
Debian is not the most new-user friendly distribution.

We have instructions how to use Mint but it requires a lot of compiling etc.
It would be much preferred to supply a Mint based DVD with everything good to go.

I see to do that requires permission to use Mint branding or removing the branding.
So the real questions are:
How does one go about asking for permission?
How does one find out exactly what would need to be rebranded if permission is not granted?

Thank you
Chris M
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Respin Mint for an opensource project

Post by xenopeek »

Can you clarify on what changes you would be making to Linux Mint's ISO? "to help new users get the required kernel/dependencies" is too unspecific. With some more information from you I can take this request further.

We're responsible for the quality of our ISOs and our name guarantees that an ISO meets our standards. Changes you make to the ISO wouldn't have passed Linux Mint's QA so those are the crux to your request. For some information about why and what you'd have to do if permission won't be given to use our name, see my comment here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=265504#p1442308
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:43 am see my comment here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=265504#p1442308
Excellent info. Thank you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Thank you for you rreply.
I'll try to answer the best I can - I don't actually prepare the ISO image we use.
I am at this point interested in collecting information and finding the best path.

In general:
We package a Realtime kernel either RTAI or PREEMPT. We usually build two different ISO to accommodated this.
We add linuxcnc using debs
We sometimes backport the GLADE 3.8.6 editor.

I believe there are some other packages selected for utility of using linuxcnc such as build essentials etc.

Chris Morley

For reference:
Linuxcnc main website:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/

A forum with info how enthusiasts added linuxcnc to Mint:
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing ... 440#110641

Current testing Debian ISO repo:
https://github.com/LinuxCNC/stretch-live-build
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Maybe another approach, rather than respinning Mint, would be to recommend to your users that they use Mint, and provide them with a script that installs the needed packages and configuration changes.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

ChrisM wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:53 amWe package a Realtime kernel either RTAI or PREEMPT. We usually build two different ISO to accommodated this.
We add linuxcnc using debs
We sometimes backport the GLADE 3.8.6 editor.
As long as it is made clear it is a custom version, not the official one, LinuxCNC may use the Linux Mint ISO for above and does not need to remove the Linux Mint name or branding from it.

If you have other questions about using Linux Mint for LinuxCNC, I'm happy to help.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Ahh thats great news! Thank you for your response.

Chris Morley
rodw

Post by rodw »

As a LinuxCNC user who could never get Linux working on my PC until I installed Mint, I just want to say thanks for allowing the LinuxCNC project to use Mint. I hardly knew anything about Linux back then and had to compile the PREEMPT_RT kernel from source to support the controller hardware I was using so it was a very tough journey. Being able to provide users a simple ISO install is a very exciting prospect!

Through LInuxCNC, I've come to love Mint so much I've installed it on my laptop as well so I'm sure you will win a few more converts. :)
BeagleBrainz

Post by BeagleBrainz »

I hope the permission still stands, as it has been a while since the first contact.
I have been working on a couple of remastered Mint images prepackaged with Linuxcnc.I am slowly trying to make it as clear as possible that the created images are not are official Linux Mint images. What I would like to know at the moment is how to have a custom wall paper on the desktop.

I feel that as much as you supply information users tend not to read, take notice or even know that is there. ATM I'm thinking a desktop wall paper that is Linuxcnc themed maybe the best option at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If those in charge of Linux Mint would like a link to the images I would gladly share those links in a way that is not open to the public if that is the way you would like to arrange it.

Lastly I would thank all those involved in the Linux Mint project. All the machines is my house now run Mint and have been doing so for some time and all reliably. This includes everything from various Lenovo T-series Thinkpads and an ML150-G5 with dual quad core Xeons, which is great for building and packaging modern kernels in under 30 minutes.

Return to “Other topics”