Grumpy old man maybe

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Grumpy old man maybe

Post by AndyMH »

As an OAP have I turned into a grumpy old man or have I seen an increase in the number of posts where the answer is one google search away?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Grumpy old man maybe

Post by Reorx »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 am As an OAP have I turned into a grumpy old man or have I seen an increase in the number of posts where the answer is one google search away?
Maybe both!!! ...but for sure the latter!!! :lol: (My wife accuses me of the former all the time!)
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Its the generation gap, I have noticed. Younger generations tend to be more the instant gratification type. If they cant find an answer in 3 minutes they seek help. Where as, the older generations will spend days looking to get the satisfaction of fixing it themselves.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Both Grumpy and Old ? Nah - - that Title is still held by catweazel
- and he knows something about Computers, too.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 amAs an OAP have I turned into a grumpy old man or have I seen an increase in the number of posts where the answer is one google search away?
A google search on
have I seen an increase in the number of posts where the answer is one google search away?
told me to "Improve your local ranking on Google".

But my own set of anecdotes posing as data says "yes, indeedy!"
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I see catweazel has got himself a new haircut, think it's better than an Egyptian god :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 am I see catweazel has got himself a new haircut, think it's better than an Egyptian god :D
I agree!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Yes, Catweasel hadn't been looking himself for a while, it's good to see him back in fine form! :D

Moi? Grumpy? Hell Yeah! Especially when you won't try and solve your own problems first! Old? I felt old when I saw a news report the other day that they are celebrating Self Government for the Northern Territory and I was there when it happened. (Only 40 years ago). And then my daughter says that kids come into the bar where she works and she checks their ID only to find that they weren't around last century. How many remember watching Neil Armstrong take his "one small step" or Mercury?

edit:oops! I must be old! I forgot! Man? If I ain't a bloke, then my wife must be a lesbian, and if' that's the case how did we get 4 kids? Yeah! I know about all that artificial stuff, and "other" stuff, but I'm certain that I was there when they were made, and I had a part in it..........
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:47 am Both Grumpy and Old ? Nah - - that Title is still held by catweazel
- and he knows something about Computers, too.
8)
I resemble that remark!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

As an OAP have I turned into a grumpy old man or have I seen an increase in the number of posts where the answer is one google search away?
It's not just here it's everywhere. Just look at the reports on the different Mint betas. So many of them were duplicates (or far more) of things already reported. Not only that a very large number of them were directly answered in the blog post people were commenting on. Please actually read the blog post before commenting :)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 am As an OAP have I turned into a grumpy old man or have I seen an increase in the number of posts where the answer is one google search away?
It's probably fear-driven. People get in a panic and want their problem fixed asap, which begs the question of the desire for instant gratification. 99.99% of people would have their problem solved if they simply did a search. However some people simply don't have the google-fu skills to search for the word 'printer', and it's those people we are here to help.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:24 pm I'm certain that I was there when they were made, and I had a part in it..........
We don't want to hear about your 'part' or where it's been... this is a family-friendy forum. :P

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

and it's those people we are here to help
I think you are being very gracious. :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:44 am
and it's those people we are here to help
I think you are being very gracious. :)
Not really, just upholding the Mint ethos. If I wanted to tear strips out of people who couldn't do a simple search I'd join the Arch Linux forums.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

catweazel wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:57 am If I wanted to tear strips out of people who couldn't do a simple search I'd join the Arch Linux forums.
:lol: :lol:
You'd be the top poster there in no time :mrgreen:

Now I'm tempted to have a look on there .. don't think I'll join though, yet, even though I do have a couple of Arch VMs :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

It would make sense because there are more linux distro users who haven't come from a technical background or sought out opensource for its' philosphy, and there are more answers to questions just because there are more people. I particularly like stack exchanges because they kind of sort out the redundancy and the correct or the best answer filters to the top. I have a friend who always reminds me don't waste the developers time. 99% of answers are coming from folks who have volunteered their time, officially or unofficially. The first rule of asking a question, do your homework. I think a response, "I did a search, but I don't understand or it didn't work. Can you help?", is perfectly ok.

I'd like to see the person that asked the question and got that response, do the search and provide a link to the answer they chose and mark the forum entry as [Solved]. If they didn't find a response in their search (or already did a search), come back, say so, explain what actions were taken and I'm 99% sure the next response will be more specific.

Sometimes it's difficult to answer a question because it is so nonspecific. Too much information (something like 50 lines of a log) is just as bad as too little (my desktop does not work).

How to ask technical questions to get quality answers

I had to lookup the definition of OAP.
Do a search is better than the old response RTFM :-) :-)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

this is true. people live with google everyday yet they know not how to ask it a question. but at the same time if you look at google search results most of them are from 2008-2016. some of solutions work and are timeless , but most older instructions do nothing or may even break modern updates.
it was hard enough to teach my father how to move a mouse and cause it to double-click :D , let alone explain what a ppa does

ps: what does OAP mean? oh wait, highlight OAP rightclick it and seach google for OAP , nevermind :mrgreen:
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

trytip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:21 pm but at the same time if you look at google search results most of them are from 2008-2016. some of solutions work and are timeless , but most older instructions do nothing or may even break modern updates.
This is often an issue and not just with Google search (which I don't use BTW). Would be nice if search engines could list the dates the pages were first fetched and last updated. This would save a LOT of clicks on obsolete "results".
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BG405 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:27 am
catweazel wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:57 am If I wanted to tear strips out of people who couldn't do a simple search I'd join the Arch Linux forums.
:lol: :lol:
You'd be the top poster there in no time :mrgreen:
Verily I say unto thee, even the Arch regulars wouldn't know what had hit :)
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Yeah, they're not fans of help vampires on the Arch forums. I don't find their stance unreasonable. If you can't be bothered to attempt some basic research before asking a question, you've no place using a tech enthusiast distro.

Return to “Open Chat”