Is Linux Mint ugly?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by trytip »

catweazel wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:40 pm
trytip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:22 pm mind you that linux mint is WAY behind the times using kernel 4.15...
Nonsense.
if given the option wouldn't most users upgrade to latest kernel 4.17 ? 4.15 isn't even on the https://www.kernel.org/ frontpage any longer. The Linux 4.15 kernel is at the end of its life, the EOL status is announced Read more https://optocrypto.com/linux-4-15-kerne ... announced/
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:16 pm
catweazel wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:40 pm
trytip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:22 pm mind you that linux mint is WAY behind the times using kernel 4.15...
Nonsense.
The Linux 4.15 kernel is at the end of its life
Logical fallacy of accent nonsense at best, and bifurcation at worst. You are essentially saying:

1) Linux 4.15 kernel is at the end of its life
2) Ubuntu 4.15 kernel has the same numbers therefore
3) Ubuntu 4.15 kernel is at the end of its life

One might as well say "a dog has four legs, cats have four legs therefore cats are dogs."

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/RollingL ... el_Support

It pays to know about the Ubuntu kernel development process before spouting uninformed opinion as if it were fact.
It also pays to not get misled by pretty Ubuntu pictures, make wild assumptions then not read or understand the article one quotes. The article in question refers to the upstream kernel 4.15, not the Ubuntu 4.15 LTS kernel.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 pm that's what google say
https://www.google.com/search?q=kernel+4.15+end+of+life
It also doesn't help when you ignore everything you're being told. Stop spreading FUD, please. It doesn't help anyone.

And google also says the Egyptian pyramids were built by aliens.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

if given the option wouldn't most users upgrade to latest kernel 4.17 ?
No, people love stability. Rolling release distros are great until they break, I used for a while and I spent several hours trying to fix things, reading wikis and forum posts, it can be very stressful and time consuming. You will learn a few things doing that but overall for most people it's just not worth it.

Rolling releases distros are great for very skilled/techy/hacky or people that want to learn or work with that and have time to do that.

Most people prefer stable systems and want something that just works.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:10 pm
ssspace wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:04 pm But I agree with him about changing themes, you should be able to switch the entire theme at once too, not just piece by piece.
That's a limitation of the Cinnamon themes app. I can switch entire themes in MATE. I often found it weird that most of the Cinnamon tools feels so much more clunky despite Cinnamon being the main DE.
Personally I think that the mix and match approach is an advantage albeit support for a matching Cinnamon theme is patchy amongst the main third party theme developers, and not many theme-contributors to Cinnamon Spices provide a GTK theme to go with their Cinnamon theme, or can be bothered to maintain their submissions.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 pm that's what google say
Google doesn't say anything, it just finds stuff for you that people say. And people say useful things but also a lot of rubbish. Just because something can be found through Google, that doesn't make it true.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

I have noticed a lot more comments recently around the web since Ubuntu 18.04 was released questioning " what's the point of Mint " considering you can get Ubuntu in any desktop you like then followed by " what's the point of ubuntu " considering you can get Debian in any desktop you like.

Some comments have likened Mint to a forked reskin that offers nothing but colours?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Trytip,
although it has been stated in some post above already, let me repeat it:
<parrot on>
The Ubuntu kernel series 4.15.0-xx is a kernel series with long-term support on Ubuntu. The kernel series 4.15.0-xx will be maintained by the Ubuntu developers for the whole lifetime of Ubuntu 18.04.x, i.e. till April 2023.
Cf. Ubuntu Kernel Release Schedule, specifically 18.04.x Ubuntu Kernel Support
</parrot off>
Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

@ssspace
did not mean to hijack your thread i apologize. i do get off topic quite often. i gather that i will have to trust ubuntu developers to keep kernels up to date and support for new hardware
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Lucap wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:54 am I have noticed a lot more comments recently around the web since Ubuntu 18.04 was released questioning " what's the point of Mint " considering you can get Ubuntu in any desktop you like then followed by " what's the point of ubuntu " considering you can get Debian in any desktop you like.

Some comments have likened Mint to a forked reskin that offers nothing but colours?
You are here, so you should be able to answer that question for yourself. Mint has a point as long as its developers want to keep maintaining it and as long as its users want to keep using it, for whatever reasons that motivate each of those groups.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:31 amYou are here, so you should be able to answer that question for yourself.
ssspace started this thread about the negative user comments that he has started to see and i backed that up by conveying that i have all so recently noticed a backlash against Mint in the user comments.

It was never a question or a personal opinion.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Lucap wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 am It was never a question or a personal opinion.
You ended on a question mark. ;)

Also it's the Internet, negativity is what it thrives on, depending on where you look you'll find hate against anything.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:05 am You ended on a question mark. ;)
It was meant as a shrug against their questionable negativity , Not a personal question that i needed an Answer. :D
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Lucap wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:08 am It was meant as a shrug against their questionable negativity , Not a personal question that i needed an Answer. :D
No I know, but it was nevertheless an invitation to discussion if you end like that. So my response to that was just that I don't think it needs discussion. Lots of people are using Mint, so it clearly has a reason to exit, it's as simple as that to me.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

ssspace wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:38 am - "nice distro but ugly"
- "I wish it looked better" and so on...
Exactly same words written about any distro. It is true. Actually any Linux desktop looks ugly by default. Take it easy.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

BigEasy wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:36 am
ssspace wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:38 am - "nice distro but ugly"
- "I wish it looked better" and so on...
Exactly same words written about any distro. It is true. Actually any Linux desktop looks ugly by default. Take it easy.
Honestly I think I have never seen "Linux Mint" and "beautiful, gorgeous, polished, amazing look, nice looking, etc" in the same sentence, it's not common.

I've seen more people talking that way about Budgie, Deepin, Pantheon and Plasma Desktop Environments.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ssspace wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:22 am Honestly I think I have never seen "Linux Mint" and "beautiful, gorgeous, polished, amazing look, nice looking, etc" in the same sentence, it's not common.

I've seen more people talking that way about Budgie, Deepin, Pantheon and Plasma Desktop Environments.
Yes. And then I looked up a screenshot and was usually underwhelmed. I guess there's no accounting for taste...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ssspace

Post by ssspace »

Actually any Linux desktop looks ugly by default. Take it easy.
mintInstall(software store) is ugly, it has improved a lot but I still don't like it, like categories are just simple rectangles.

Mint's website and forums could look better too. The Cinnamon Desktop website looks modern, maybe the Mint team could ask the same people who designed that to redesign the website and the forum? Web design is not that expensive in 2018 and I think some people will even do it for free if you give credit to who made it.

And I'm talking just about Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce are uglier in general. I think Cinnamon is average looking, not the best, not the worst. Maybe offering MATE and Xfce influence some of these people's opinions about Linux Mint, if it was just Cinnamon maybe less people would complain.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Things/People are mostly beauggliful
beauggliful.jpeg
:wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”