[SOLVED] Luckybackup super-user not available after install via Software Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnbeen

[SOLVED] Luckybackup super-user not available after install via Software Manager

Post by johnbeen »

Dear all,

For quiet some time now I use LuckyBackup for my backup needs. I think it works flawless.
Previously when I installed LuckyBackup via the Software Manager in Linux Mint it installed two instances, LuckyBackup and LuckyBackup Super-User which both could be started via separate icons in the applications menu. I always used the super user one because of some specific folders that could only be backuped in SU mode. But now, when I install LuckyBackup via the Linux Mint 19 Software Manager, it only installs the LB standard mode and the SU version is not available. Anyone out there who is having the same issue? And of course a workaround?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Luckybackup super-user not available after install via Software Manager

Post by greerd »

I've noticed that too, but as I only use LuckBackup for my /home I don't worry about it.

I can guess why super-user version is not included and my guess is that because Mint19 dropped gksu (as did Ubuntu 18.04) from the repos. LuckyBackup hasen't been in active development for a few years now so I doubt it'll ever adjust to the pkexec version.

You could try running it from the command line pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY luckybackup and see if that works. Checkout this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=270721 for more info on the topic.

Cheers
johnbeen

Post by johnbeen »

greerd wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:38 am I've noticed that too, but as I only use LuckBackup for my /home I don't worry about it.

I can guess why super-user version is not included and my guess is that because Mint19 dropped gksu (as did Ubuntu 18.04) from the repos. LuckyBackup hasen't been in active development for a few years now so I doubt it'll ever adjust to the pkexec version.

You could try running it from the command line pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY luckybackup and see if that works. Checkout this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=270721 for more info on the topic.

Cheers
Hi greerd. Thanks for your quick reply. In the meantime I searched on the web and read about lack of development on LB as you also point out in your reaction. As an alternative I am looking now into BackInTime, which is kind of the same. I like how this app is setup and I like the workflow, so probably BackInTime will be my new goto backup app.
Thanks again.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

johnbeen wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:25 am And of course a workaround?

I have tried to work my way around this issue by creating a policy fileluckybackup.policy put in/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ with the following content:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1/policyconfig.dtd">
<policyconfig>

<action id="org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.run-luckybacup">
    <description>Run LuckyBackup</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to run LuckyBackup</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>no</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
    </defaults>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/luckybackup</annotate>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui">TRUE</annotate>
  </action>

</policyconfig>
and then launching Luckybackup in superuser mode from terminal by:

pkexec /usr/bin/luckybackup
Next, I created a launcher for it in the application menu and it seems to be working.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i don't understand why you go out of your way to avoid using timeshift which is already provided for you and doesn't need much effort from the user. true that timeshift is mainly constructed to restore the user/root filesystem not the user/home but i have never needed to restore my personal files which are already stored on different storage drives
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I use timeshift for my system ('/'), but luckybackup for my /home. That's the default for timeshift anyhow (excludes /home) and it allows easier and faster restores.

On my system timeshift is scheduled to backup to an internal drive so I can recover from a borked update quickly while luckbackup is run manually to backup to an external usb drive. Works for me.
johnbeen

Post by johnbeen »

trytip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:10 am i don't understand why you go out of your way to avoid using timeshift which is already provided for you and doesn't need much effort from the user. true that timeshift is mainly constructed to restore the user/root filesystem not the user/home but i have never needed to restore my personal files which are already stored on different storage drives
Hi trytip,
Thanks for your input. To be honest I never considered Timeshift because I thought it was only there to backup system files. My data is spread out over 5 internal and external drives (setup separately for my docs, my android and web development data, my photography related data, my video editing, etc) and to backup all that data I use an external Raid solution. In my opinion Luckybackup provided a very nice workflow for setting up, naming and processing backups of all these source drives to this Raid box, so until now I never thought about an alternative backup solution.
But based on your idea to use Timeshift I had a look and I see that I can indeed add my drives to be backed up as well. Thank you for that. I will have a look if it works for me.
johnbeen

Post by johnbeen »

Marziano wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:49 am
johnbeen wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:25 am And of course a workaround?

I have tried to work my way around this issue by creating a policy fileluckybackup.policy put in/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ with the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1/policyconfig.dtd">
<policyconfig>

<action id="org.freedesktop.policykit.pkexec.run-luckybacup">
    <description>Run LuckyBackup</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to run LuckyBackup</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>no</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
    </defaults>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/luckybackup</annotate>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui">TRUE</annotate>
  </action>

</policyconfig>
and then launching Luckybackup in superuser mode from terminal by:

pkexec /usr/bin/luckybackup
Next, I created a launcher for it in the application menu and it seems to be working.
Hi Marziano,
This seems like a smart solution. I like the effort of workarounds and I will at least try it out to see if it works for me. Thanks for your input.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

johnbeen wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:32 pm Hi trytip,
... To be honest I never considered Timeshift because I thought it was only there to backup system files. My data is spread out over 5 internal and external drives (setup separately for my docs, my android and web development data, my photography related data, my video editing, etc) and to backup all that data I use an external Raid solution. In my opinion Luckybackup provided a very nice workflow for setting up, naming and processing backups of all these source drives to this Raid box, so until now I never thought about an alternative backup solution.
But based on your idea to use Timeshift I had a look and I see that I can indeed add my drives to be backed up as well. Thank you for that. I will have a look if it works for me.
you are correct. the point of timeshift is to backup ONLY the system files stored in your root directory. it was never intended to backup personal files like documents and videos (but it can if you include them provided they are stored on ext2-4 filesystems) . i have my videos and documents safely stored on other drives and do not need them included in timeshift. i have too many terabytes to backup and that would mean i need double the hard drive space for backup.
timeshift is a way to reverse changes that cause upgrades and updates rendering your system not to boot or boot with errors.
octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon »

I would NOT include your personal data files in your Timeshift backup. If you do, then if you do a restore you would lose all changes to your data files that you had made since that backup. That's why it is intended just for your system files. I don't know if it's possible to set up separate Timeshift backup regimes for system and data files separately.
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

trytip wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:10 am i don't understand why you go out of your way to avoid using timeshift which is already provided for you and doesn't need much effort from the user. true that timeshift is mainly constructed to restore the user/root filesystem not the user/home but i have never needed to restore my personal files which are already stored on different storage drives
As others explained already, Timeshift serves a very specific purpose and can't be considered a backup solution for user data.

Luckybackup is a very versatile backup program, actually a GUI frontend for rsync. I don't think it matters too much that it's not in active development, after all it is a front end to software that is in active development.

I use Luckybackup to backup local EXT4 based files to other local drives and to a remote server, as well as NTFS volumes (from my Windows VM) to remote storage, or to external drives. Some of my data is stored in 4 places, not including cloud storage (which would be a bit expensive for multiple terabytes).

Changing command syntax is a bad thing. I understand the cons of gksudo etc., but why not improve the original application/command? Why do I have to learn different commands with every new release of Linux Mint, Ubuntu etc.?

I hope those who package Luckybackup will update the package to include a super-user launcher that actually works.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Luckybackup super-user not available after install via Software Manager

Post by trytip »

@powerhouse
whatever works for you is what's the best. i never need a backup program for my personal files, i have them stored on other drives. timeshift restored my mint19 after i deleted the partition and installed another os. so if i want to test out a new os and don't want to mess with resizing other partitions i delete my current os try the new one and then restore it with timeshift as if it was never deleted.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] Luckybackup super-user not available after install via Software Manager

Post by powerhouse »

trytip wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:26 pm @powerhouse
whatever works for you is what's the best. i never need a backup program for my personal files, i have them stored on other drives. timeshift restored my mint19 after i deleted the partition and installed another os. so if i want to test out a new os and don't want to mess with resizing other partitions i delete my current os try the new one and then restore it with timeshift as if it was never deleted.
Thanks for the comment. I do use Timeshift too (should have mentioned it in the first place), but as you said, for system backups only.

Thanks Marziano, your solution worked for me, too.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

@powerhouse

You are welcome!
:D to hear that it worked!

Cheers
Mark_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mark_1 »

Hi, I've been using Luckybackup for years and never needed ‘super-user’ but on mint 19 Luckybackup doesn’t ‘see’ any drives, internal or network other than Home, rendering it completely unusable. I wonder if what you have been discussing wrt super-user privileges could have a bearing on this or is my issue something else?
Appreciate any help you can give

Cheers
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Split off Hairyman's post into a separate thread, Problems using Timeshift, because the post is about Timeshift; but this thread is about Luckybackup and marked as [solved]
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”