VLC (and others) tiny problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rijnsma

VLC (and others) tiny problem

Post by rijnsma »

I'm using Mint 6 now for a week and I love it. It is so comfortable..! But I have a tiny question:

Why is VLC not working in Mint 6 at http://www.nasa.gov (streaming, so Nasa tv).
Also Totem and GMPlayer have problems at Nasa-streams.
Input can't be opened, says VLC. I can in other linuxes (on other partitions) of my computer.

For instance at http://www.nos.nl/politiek24/ everything goes right. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: VLC (and others) tiny problem

Post by Husse »

NASA seems to use some unusual format or something
I could not get it going on mplayer
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Try copying this link into VLC and see what it is.

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368163

I don't have NASA channel so I'm not sure if this is the TV stream or what it is but....... it works.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

It works here,too but it is not the VLC-player I installed.

When you click on Nasa-tv on their homepage, you get some options for viewing channels.
It is possible to choose playing in MPlayer by clicking away the little black screen in the not good
see-able close-switch right above of that black screen. You get full screen, wich can be reduced to the
little viewing window with Escape-key.
On the other hand you can (with the 'mediaplayerconnectivity Add-on in Firefox 3) choose other servers
with wich VLC ought to play, because I have chosen that in mediaplayerconnectivity.
It works fine in PCLOS and Ubuntu.

It functions here with the other link I wrote you. But it looks like VLC is missing something, so it cann't do it with
streams like Nasa. And I went curious. :) Thanks for your reply, Husse. :wink:
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

It seems to work ok for me. Did you try different channels? Sometimes nothing is being broadcast.
screenshot73.png
The format is ".asx"....... One of those strange Windows html document files! And other times the stream shows to be ".mov".

:?
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Yes, Slider, I did try different channels and it works with my other Linuxes (on other partitions of this multiboot PC).
What you show is the little window with (G)MPlayer I wrote about. It works fine here too. No problem at that moment.

It is also possible to choose as an alternative for instance VLC wich I like very much.
With VLC it is possible for instance to resize the videoscreen at random. That's where the interesting part begins.

'asx' indeed is the format, but this is no problem with other Linuxes. And yes indeed, that is not always the case;
some streams 'mediaplayerconnectivity' lists are not usable, so I think something could be wrong here.
Im continuing the quest. Thanks! :wink:

This picture wich shows things is taken from Nos 24 http://www.nos.nl/politiek24/ and Nasa in Ubuntu (I don't know
how to get rid of the black in this picture in the VLC-player):
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

The black is from firefox's media player behind, this often means the graphics driver hasn't been set up correctly. A short-term fix is to minimise the firefox window behind
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Ah, I learn here all the time. Thanks. It is only on this snapshot. I don't see it in the browser.
And it is secundary to the VLC (or Totem or Caffeine etc.) subject. :) :wink:
But understand that is not a big deal for me. :)
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

I found, that it is sometimes possible to do it manually with Firefox 'mediaplayerconnectivity' and certain servers,
wich don't have asx.
Copy the link and paste it in VLC's menu->media->open network->network protocol. .
So as the example: choose in Nasa 'other viewing options' list with 'mediaplayerconnectivity' the videolinks and copy
and paste it in VLC, when it doesn't work. A lot of other sites don't give problems so you can click as normal.

But it is not clear to me why it gives problems in Mint and not for instance Ubuntu? Could there be a difference between
the codec-pack in Mint and the win32 from Medibuntu?

Thank you all very much for thinking with me.

See picture:

Return to “Sound”