Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon constantly crashes after upgrade

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartianStorm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon constantly crashes after upgrade

Post by MartianStorm »

Hi,

I just upgraded to Linux Mint 19 from Linux Mint 18.3. I thought the upgrade process went fine, the system booted up, but Cinnamon keeps crashing with the error dialogue: "Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode. Do you want to restart Cinnamon?" Clicking "Yes" just pops up the same dialogue again. When I try to restart Cinnamon from the command line (cinnamon --replace) I get the following error message: "cinnamon: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
I was trying to look for a solution but nothing so far. Did anybody run into the same issue? Anybody knows how to fix it? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shachou1404

Re: Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon constantly crashes after upgrade

Post by shachou1404 »

Hi,
I'm having the same issue and still unable to fix it.
royg

Post by royg »

Add me to this issue as well. Just upgraded from 18.3 to 19, and the error occurs after boot.

RoyG
arthurprs

Post by arthurprs »

I tried a few things to resolve this but I ended up reverting to 18.3 :(
royg

Post by royg »

FIXED - I think..... [EDIT --- WRONG !! See additional note below.]

The error occurred on the first and subsequent reboots after upgrading from 18.3. When I went into update manager, there was a Kernel version update waiting (4.15.0-23.25). Once that Kernel Update was installed, the Cinnamon error ceased to appear. After rebooting. I again ran update manager, and there was another Kernel Update (4.15.0-24.26) waiting. I've installed taht as well. Problem seem to be fixed ..... fingers crossed !

[Update] Well, the problem is improved, but not entirely fixed. The Cinnamon error does not appear on every boot or re-boot. But, system is fully usuable if you choose not to restart Cinnamon in the error dialog box. Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for a fix.

RoyG
MichaelE

Post by MichaelE »

Add me to the list :-((
mikyle

Post by mikyle »

Same. I have a later kernel running 18.3 (4.16) and upgraded. With both 4.15 and 4.16 I get libGL.so.1 not found error for cinnamon start up and get into the OS via fallback. I've not attempted to update the 4.15 kernel because update manager claims a.security error blocks it.

I'll set up a tomeshift and try using ukuu to upgrade the 4.15 kernel.
no no
Level 1
Level 1

Post by no no »

Add me to this forum; I have the same issue after upgrade to mint 19
Gristle

Post by Gristle »

Same issue here.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Same for me. Tried a plethora of things to try to fix it all to no avail.

On the bright side, that timeshift thing is spectacular. I almost skipped it.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
rjd

Post by rjd »

I too have the same symptoms; with the same error message as in the first post. I have upgraded 3 systems - the 1st is working well; the other 2 crash Cinnamon after login. All 3 systems were (and had been) running the 4.15.0-24 kernel before upgrading from 18.3 to 19.
The 1st system I upgraded is a Ryzen 5 1600 w/AMD graphics card. It was updated and the upgrade downloaded on the 4th. The upgrade was then run on the 5th without applying further updates shown in mintUpdate. It's doing fine.
The 2nd system is a Lenovo Z580 I5 with Intel integrated graphics; the 3rd is an AMD FX-6300 with an AMD graphics card. Both these systems will only run in fall back mode after logging in. The Lenovo had an additional error message with the Cinnamon crash notification when I first rebooted - according to the message "IndicatorAppletFactory::IndicatorAppletComplete" was faulty and needed to be removed. After a couple reboots did not resolve this,I allowed it to remove this - it did not help, Cinnamon still crashes after login.
saintjimmy

Post by saintjimmy »

Same here on a fresh upgrade from 18.3 on a Lenovo M710q
I'm unable to find the relevant line in the logs though
mikyle

Post by mikyle »

FYI: attempting to `

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libgl
` to solve a problem of missing shared file causes all of cinnamon to be removed. Learned by experience; also timeshift is awesome.
MartianStorm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartianStorm »

mikyle wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm FYI: attempting to `

sudo apt install libgl
` to solve a problem of missing shared file causes all of cinnamon to be removed. Learned by experience; also timeshift is awesome.
Not just cinnamon but Mesa and everything that depends on it. There are a lot of broken dependencies causing the issue.
For now, either stay on Linux Mint 18.3 or just do a clean installation, mintupgrade does a poor job.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

MartianStorm wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm
mikyle wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm FYI: attempting to `

sudo apt install libgl
Not just cinnamon but Mesa and everything that depends on it. There are a lot of broken dependencies causing the issue.
For now, either stay on Linux Mint 18.3 or just do a clean installation, mintupgrade does a poor job.
Mintupgrade worked perfectly for me and many others
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MartianStorm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartianStorm »

deepakdeshp wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:38 pm Mintupgrade worked perfectly for me and many others
It would certainly comfort all those not so lucky.
AlienJoker wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:23 am
MartianStorm wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm ......, mintupgrade does a poor job.
So? It is absolutely impossible to test tools like that on every hardware combination. Many users upgraded without any problem. I'm sure this will be fixed soon and until this is done, 18.3 runs smoothly.

I LOVE timeshift.
5 Minutes and everything was back to normal = 18.3

Update:
Mintupgrade was updated this morning. Changelog here: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupgrade/commits/master

Seems like this was not Mints error. If i try to upgrade now, I get this:
!! ERROR: MESA 18.0.5 currently breaks the upgrade between Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 and Linux Mint 18.3 and Linux Mint 19. Restore a snapshot taken before MESA was upgraded to 18.0.5, or wait for Ubuntu to fix this problem.
It has nothing to do with hardware combinations, mesa is required on all systems, and 18.0.5 is out for a while. timeshift still =/= Mint 19.
Also, a clean install with restoring files and packages takes less time than the upgrade.
Last edited by MartianStorm on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
arthurprs

Post by arthurprs »

It appears that someone was able to fix this in another thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=272538&p=1490863&h ... 1#p1490894
rjd

Post by rjd »

arthurprs wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 am It appears that someone was able to fix this in another thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=272538&p=1490863&h ... 1#p1490894
This is not a fix as it reportedly only allows software rendering, Also, this was a different issue than this thread is addressing. That thread addresses a problem that occurs at login; this is in reference to a crash after a successful login.

The cause is now known - per Clem's post of July 7 2:54am it was a backport by Ubuntu after we started doing upgrades.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615#comment-144157
mikyle

Post by mikyle »

I have attempted the fix and got Cinnamon to launch with some applets needing an update. It was a bit annoying to not have a menu, but that applet was not updated prior to mintupgrade.

As for software rendering... with 18.3, I had software rendering and hoped that 19 would improve things. Although there is the occasional freeze while the CPU catches up, it is still marginally better than performance in 18.3. I would love to be able to shift render to the gpu, but having an HP notebook with AMD ATI Carrizo I have reserved myself to software rendering.

I accept that this may not be the perfect solution, but it can be an alternative, for me, to a fresh install until it is all resolved or (maybe) 19.1
rjd

Post by rjd »

AlienJoker wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:39 pm
rjd wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:38 pm this is in reference to a crash after a successful login.
Only at the beginning. If you continue reading the author has the same issue:
Doctor Funkenstein wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:18 pm So I was able to reinstall cinnamon from the command line. It now allows me to log in, but displays the error:
"Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode. Do you want to restart Cinnamon?"
If I click yes, it just crashes again...
Yes, the author is able to get to a point where he can login and then gets the same problem we are discussing. And yes, you can get Cinnamon to start in software rendering mode if you follow those instructions. However, the earlier post stated:
...someone was able to fix this in another thread...
. This is not a fix, as it's not working properly (i.e. using the available hardware) and applying any updates that may become available could cause it to stop working again.

When the Mint team does release a solution for this issue (which was caused by Ubuntu, not the upgrade), I would be very leery of applying it to a system that had been patched up this way for future dependability. I would only use this if needed to copy/save data added since running the upgrade. Then I'd either revert to previous version via Timeshift and wait for a fix to be announced by the Mint team or do a clean install of 19. YMMV

Return to “Cinnamon”