Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlock

Re: Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Post by merlock »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:35 pm
When I first started if you had any "special" drivers you needed you had to compile the kernel yourself. On a Pentium III....start the process and go have a 7-course dinner and hope you didn't leave something out... :?
Ah, the good ol' days. I compiled my first kernel on a 486DX4/100MHz screamer, with a whopping 8MB RAM! :lol:

I didn't do enough RTFM...that hard drive sounded like an old Commodore 1541 drive loading one of those heavy copy protected disks that slammed the head against the stop. And, this went on for *hours*. :oops:

It *did* eventually compile and install! :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

merlock wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 pm Ah, the good ol' days. I compiled my first kernel on a 486DX4/100MHz screamer, with a whopping 8MB RAM! :lol:
The "good ol' days" were when you had to do everything in 256 BYTES of RAM on an 8 bit CPU.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Speaking of good old days... some of you may enjoy this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IagZIM9MtLo

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

People who dismiss Mint 19 have no leg to stand on. This is the best distribution yet, and others should learn from Mint.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:11 am People who dismiss Mint 19 have no leg to stand on. This is the best distribution yet, and others should learn from Mint.
Well I have Mint 19 on my Laptop on it really feels alien to me after using Manjaro for so long. Nothing wrong with it really, great distro, I just prefer to use Manjaro for myself. However I installed and going to use Mint on my Thinkpad so when I recommend it to folks about Linux, I'll know what I'm talking about.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I really dont care what other people have to say about Mint. I do very well making my own mind up and making my own decisions. As far as Iam concerned Linux Mint is the defacto version of linux that anyone starting out should be using. Its too bad that LM doesnt have a server version. I envision that it would just kick *ss.

I use centos for my server and LM for my everyday driver and production machine. I also install LM on a lot of my clients computers. They inevitably love it. I have only had one customer go back to Windows but she couldnt even understand "Copy and Paste".

These people criticizing LM I do not run into very often in my realm. However, If I did / do you can rest assured that I would defend LM to the last byte.

Me personally, I am extremely proud to run LM as its a wonderful operating system that does everything I need it to do.

I would think that if there is any criticisms to be made they certainly should go to the Redmond company or those Apple laptops and phones.

coffee ;)
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Another question I have is why to people "distro-Hop"? I mean all Debian based distributions work the same in the end, just that Mint has taken the functionality to a new level. I have little experience with the Red Hat stuff other than Mandrake back in the day. Not attempting to troll or start a flame fest, I really am curious.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 pm Another question I have is why to people "distro-Hop"? I mean all Debian based distributions work the same in the end, just that Mint has taken the functionality to a new level. I have little experience with the Red Hat stuff other than Mandrake back in the day. Not attempting to troll or start a flame fest, I really am curious.
I first tried out Red Hat Linux back in 1998, but since my ISP was AOL I didn't stick with it. Then forward three to four years later I jumped on Mandrake(Now Mandriva and belly up) and used that for years. I'm now settled on Manjaro and Mint.

Different Distros do things differently. Some will fit certain needs or be a better fit for some people then others.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 pmAnother question I have is why to people "distro-Hop"? I mean all Debian based distributions work the same in the end, just that Mint has taken the functionality to a new level. [...] I really am curious.
There's more under the stars than Debian. They all have their merits and demerits, just like Linux Mint does. One might fit you better than another but you won't know that until you explore a bit. Even with Debian, some distros base on stable, some on testing and some on sid—or some kind of mix. Besides that, distros offer different choices as to default desktop environment and such, for which you also may find a better fit with one than another.

There's an abundance of things to explore for people that are interested in such things. For many people "good enough" is where the exploring stops and that's just fine as well. Distro hoppers are just curious what's around the next corner :wink:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

whm1974 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:17 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 pm Another question I have is why to people "distro-Hop"? I mean all Debian based distributions work the same in the end, just that Mint has taken the functionality to a new level. I have little experience with the Red Hat stuff other than Mandrake back in the day. Not attempting to troll or start a flame fest, I really am curious.
I first tried out Red Hat Linux back in 1998, but since my ISP was AOL I didn't stick with it. Then forward three to four years later I jumped on Mandrake(Now Mandriva and belly up) and used that for years. I'm now settled on Manjaro and Mint.

Different Distros do things differently. Some will fit certain needs or be a better fit for some people then others.
Nice to see someone else used Mandrake! I thought I was the only one who used this distro back in the day.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

No Mandrake was a very popular distro during it's time.
SpectreOl

Post by SpectreOl »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 am much like we tend to ignore Windows or Mac.
Hey, what's wrong with Mac??

It's not a bad os..

.. if you have a nice fat wallet!! :D
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

SpectreOl wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 pm
lsemmens wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 am much like we tend to ignore Windows or Mac.
Hey, what's wrong with Mac??

It's not a bad os..

.. if you have a nice fat wallet!! :D
And like to be in Walled Gardens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_platform
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

InkKnife wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:17 am Mint is as reliable as a wood burning stove and that is what I want on my computer.
Aaaargh! Wouldn't that be a bit hot? :mrgreen:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

whm1974 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:00 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:11 am People who dismiss Mint 19 have no leg to stand on. This is the best distribution yet, and others should learn from Mint.
Well I have Mint 19 on my Laptop on it really feels alien to me after using Manjaro for so long. Nothing wrong with it really, great distro, I just prefer to use Manjaro for myself. However I installed and going to use Mint on my Thinkpad so when I recommend it to folks about Linux, I'll know what I'm talking about.
I just overwrote my latest Arch installation with Win 8 (ugh). Couldn't remember the password, that's how long it's been since I used it.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
SpectreOl

Post by SpectreOl »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:36 pm

I just overwrote my latest Arch installation with Win 8 (ugh). Couldn't remember the password, that's how long it's been since I used it.
"Oh, no... He's gone to the dark side.." (joking)

I recently bought this Lenovo laptop. Had 2 options, Win7 or Win10 (I wont entertain 10 at all). Straight out of the box, the dvd-ram wouldn't work, it simply wouldn't recognise it. After hours of searching for a solution, I found that I had to edit the registry, just so windows would look at it..

It came with a 1tb drive, that I swapped out for a 500gb, Linux has a much smaller footprint, so that's plenty. Mint18 wouldn't work with the drive, though it saw its capabilities, so I checked Mint19 - perfect, it just worked!! It saw all the other hardware too, so, no issues at all.. A fresh install from a live usb worked flawlessly and the only thing I had to do to make it write dvds was disable multisession..

Its still a new os version, so it will have a few hidden quirks, such as wanting to update grub, without 1st upgrading common to the latest version, causing an update error - mint community helped with that though.

I was using Mint18 on an older laptop for the last year. Though I was wondering about using a different distro, I decided to stay. This morning, I donated 10Euro to Mint19 - its not a lot, but what I can afford atm - guess I'm in it for the long haul... My advice for anyone wanting to come to mint would be to try 18.3, but try 19, if things didnt work out, at least for a little while, until Mint19 has had more updates..

My thanks to the devs and this community for an enjoyable os, the help they have given and any support they may continue to give...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:36 pm
whm1974 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:00 am
Wow that has been a while. I am thinking of getting a 1tb SSD for my desktop and putting Mint 19 on it. You are right that Mint has a much smaller footprint than Windows. I am running a complete Linux Mint 19 installation, with some games, and additional documents, music and software and it still only comes to just under 60gb on my 256gb ssd on the laptop. Windows needs 30+ just to install itself without any additional programs!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

SIXTY?!?!

I have a 40G partition for the OS, have a metric sh!T-ton of stuff installed, and have 14G free! I do photos, videos and music, and have EVERYTHING related to the three installed. Also LibreOffice as well.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have a lot of music and photographs.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Oh. That's inclusive. I was just talking about the OS. See my signature...;)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”