Hibernate in LM19

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Larkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hibernate in LM19

Post by Larkin »

I've just installed LM19 MATE but I cannot find hibernate function. I really need this function. How can I enable it?
Sorry for my bad English. English is not my native language. I study English by myself and I can do elementary mistakes.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Hibernate in LM19

Post by kc1di »

Are you using Cinnamon and have you looked in power management?
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

In Mint 19, hibernation has been disabled because of problems. Like Ubuntu did several years ago.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Still on my list of things to look into. The default hibernation mode failed on my device in Ubuntu 18.04/Mint 19 - up until the previous release it worked flawlessly. But there are a number of ways to implement hibernation.

To see if the default works for you first save your data then try

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl hibernate
(it will instantly try to hibernate with that command so really save your data in case it fails)
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

Did your install include a plain-text RAM-sized swap partition for Linux to write to? If it didn't, there's nowhere to store the machine state and it can't hibernate.

There's other details that used to be automatic, like telling Linux which partition to use for hibernation and telling GRUB which partition to use for restoring. They might still be automatic. Let us know...
https://fossbytes.com/enable-disable-hi ... ower-menu/
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
Larkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Larkin »

kc1di wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:12 pm
Are you using Cinnamon and have you looked in power management?
No, I use MATE and there is no hibernate function in power management.
In 18.3 I could simply close notebook and push it to sleep.
Sorry for my bad English. English is not my native language. I study English by myself and I can do elementary mistakes.
Larkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Larkin »

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 pm
Still on my list of things to look into. The default hibernation mode failed on my device in Ubuntu 18.04/Mint 19 - up until the previous release it worked flawlessly. But there are a number of ways to implement hibernation.

To see if the default works for you first save your data then try

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl hibernate
(it will instantly try to hibernate with that command so really save your data in case it fails)
I know this way, but it's not works. The notebook just shuts down without saving the current status.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

As already mentioned earlier, hibernation is disabled in the new Mate and Cinnamon. If "suspend" does work, why dont you use that instead?
Power consumption is very low in "suspend". If you wanna save your work for a longer period just do a shutdown.

you could try using installing "dconf-editor", a linux program found in the linux software catalogue, that lets linux users change setttings that are not standard accessible.

I have used it in Cinnamon to alter the power setttings, which couldnt be altered in the standard menus available. But Mate has much less options available that one can change compared to Cinnamon. In dconf-editor for Cinnamon I saw a setting which could be set to hibernate instead of suspend when you close the lid of your notebook.

Warning: You must ask advice though from experienced forum members (i am newbie) before you start messing with dconf-editor because it can seriously damage your system if you change the wrong settings.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

newbie serena wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:49 am
Warning: You must ask advice though from experienced forum members (i am newbie) before you start messing with dconf-editor because it can seriously damage your system if you change the wrong settings.
The thing is, I had him try to hibernate the way the power manager setting would do it, and it failed. So if we enabled hibernation on the shutdown menu and in the power manager settings for him, he'd just lose data because it would fail the same way.

There are alternative ways to hibernate like uswsusp but they'd have to be installed and configured first and it's no guarantee that they'd work, either.
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

newbie serena wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:49 am
If you wanna save your work for a longer period just do a shutdown.
How this will save the OS state? :)
Larkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Larkin »

I want I can close laptop, write OS state to disk and left the laptop by week or more. Much more. And when I'll turn on the laptop I want take OS state which I left.

Return to “Newbie Questions”