Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
viniciusov
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Can't find Installed Applications on Software Manager

Post by viniciusov » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 am

Hello guys,

I'm new here and I moved recently to the Linux Mint 18.3.
I'm loving the Mint experience but I'm in a little issue here.

I installed a bunch of programs (such Sublime-text, Atom, Python3, etc.) with the Software Manager.
But when I open the Software Manager and click to "Show Installed Applications" -> There is Nothing there!

Is this normal or it should list all my installed applications?
Can a "broken" file cause this behaviour?

I'm attaching a screenshot here.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by viniciusov on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can't find Installed Applications on Software Manager

Post by Ozo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 am

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a screenshot of the Software Manager with results of the search on my system (19). I have no idea why yours does not show the list but someone will surely jump in here to help.

In the mean time, you should post your stats by entering the following in the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Then copy/paste the results here by highlighting them and selecting the arrows at the top (</>)
Last edited by Ozo on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 am

viniciusov wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 am
Hello guys,

I'm new here and I moved recently to the Linux Mint 18.3.
I installed a bunch of programs (such Sublime-text, Atom, Python3, etc.) with the Software Manager.
But when I open the Software Manager and click to "Show Installed Applications" -> There is Nothing there!

Is this normal or it should list all my installed applications?
Installed with the 18.3 Software manager or installed with Software manager from an earlier version? I'm assuming 'by moved to Linux Mint 18.3' you've done an in-place upgrade from 18.2 or earlier - correct me if I've misunderstood.

The info shown on that screen in the 18.3 Software Manager is quite limited - i.e. it's only applications installed with that version or later of the Software Manager. Packages installed via the terminal (apt, apt-get etc), Synaptic or any other method don't show there, and applications installed via Software Manager prior to an in place upgrade to 18.3 won't show there either.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

viniciusov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by viniciusov » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:06 am

Ozo wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 am
Welcome to the forum.

Here is a screenshot of the Software Manager with results of the search on my system (19). I have no idea why yours does not show the list but someone will surely jump in here to help.
Thank you bery much for your screenshot Ozo, now I can see that it should list the applications...
smurphos wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 am
Installed with the 18.3 Software manager or installed with Software manager from an earlier version? I'm assuming 'by moved to Linux Mint 18.3' you've done an in-place upgrade from 18.2 or earlier - correct me if I've misunderstood.

The info shown on that screen in the 18.3 Software Manager is quite limited - i.e. it's only applications installed with that version or later of the Software Manager. Packages installed via the terminal (apt, apt-get etc), Synaptic or any other method don't show there, and applications installed via Software Manager prior to an in place upgrade to 18.3 won't show there either.
And smurphos, I think you are right. It should be something related to the way I installed the applications. Some of them I installed via:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install <application>
But I can see that some of these applications (even if installed with the previous command) are listed in the Software Manager, as you can see in the image below:

So, if the Software Manager can show if an application is installed, why not show it in the "Installed Applications" menu?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 am

viniciusov wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:06 am
So, if the Software Manager can show if an application is installed, why not show it in the "Installed Applications" menu?
The Software Manager shows all available applications and whether they are installed or not. That information is readily provided by the package management system. What is not provided is how a package got to be installed, i.e. as part of the system install, a system upgrade, or because the user installed it. So the Mint team decided to only track packages that you as the user installed via the Software Manager itself.

If you want a list of all installed packages, that's readily available in Synaptic Package Manager (select Status category in the bottom left).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

viniciusov
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> Can't find Installed Applications on Software Manager

Post by viniciusov » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:40 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 am
The Software Manager shows all available applications and whether they are installed or not. That information is readily provided by the package management system. What is not provided is how a package got to be installed, i.e. as part of the system install, a system upgrade, or because the user installed it. So the Mint team decided to only track packages that you as the user installed via the Software Manager itself.

If you want a list of all installed packages, that's readily available in Synaptic Package Manager (select Status category in the bottom left).
Thank you gm10! This information was very helpful to me!
I'm marking this topic as Solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”