[SOLVED] How big is the Software Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

[SOLVED] How big is the Software Manager

Post by Ozo »

The Software Manager looks huge and 99% of it is useless to me. Could that not be moved off the system similar to how Cinnamon Spices works.

Really, how big is it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How big is the Software Manager

Post by trytip »

that's what she said 😍

but seriously, i don't understand what you asking
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

How much space does it occupy?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Are you talking about screen estate (probably not), space used to host the files on the repo server, file size of the application (probably, but want to make sure)?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I'm not sure I understand, either.

If you are asking about pre-installed software, you can remove most of what you don't need if you want to recover some space.

If you are asking about everything else that's listed in the Software Manager, that's not taking up any space until you download and install it.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am I'm not sure I understand, either.

If you are asking about pre-installed software, you can remove most of what you don't need if you want to recover some space.

If you are asking about everything else that's listed in the Software Manager, that's not taking up any space until you download and install it.
Yes, that answers my question. I had thought it was all stored on board. Thanks.
Ozo

Re: [SOLVED] How big is the Software Manager

Post by Ozo »

The Software Manager takes longer than any other app to load so obviously there is more to it than "nothing".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 am The Software Manager takes longer than any other app to load so obviously there is more to it than "nothing".
It has to parse lists of large number of packages across all active repositories (bionic/universe alone has nearly 136000 packages), that can take a while.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 am The Software Manager takes longer than any other app to load so obviously there is more to it than "nothing".
But the 'nothing' is a big list fetched from the web servers, it's not on your machine when you aren't running software manager.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Synaptic is usually a lot quicker, though... :P
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 amThe Software Manager takes longer than any other app to load so obviously there is more to it than "nothing".
When you start it, it's automagically updates your software lists, which involves downloading files.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 am Synaptic is usually a lot quicker, though... :P
So the Software Manager is redundant:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:53 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 am Synaptic is usually a lot quicker, though... :P
So the Software Manager is redundant:
So is Synaptic, because Aptitude does the same. So is Aptitude, because apt does it as well, etc.

If you want a monolithic operating system, you know where to look. Linux is exactly not that.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Thanks, I think.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 am Thanks, I think.
Heh. Frankly I didn't know where you were coming from, either (and I still don't). ;)

Software Manager shows you the description and screenshot (where available) along with the Mint community comments and ratings all in one place. If that has no value for it, then yes, Software Manager is redundant. Personally I'm happy it exists.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

It is just that when I bring up the Software Manager it reminds me of when I first saw Windows 10 with all those, in your face, irrelevant (to me) apps which fortunately could be removed easily. With Synaptic I never have to see it at least. I sure hope no one is insulted by my suggestion to remove it. :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I missed when you made that suggestion to be honest... I thought you wanted the available applications themselves moved off the system, which they already are.
The easiest way not to see the software manager's suggested application is never to use it. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Moem wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 am I missed when you made that suggestion to be honest... I thought you wanted the available applications themselves moved off the system, which they already are.
The easiest way not to see the software manager's suggested application is never to use it. :wink:
I said that, in fact I have removed it from the Menu by un-checking it in the Menu Editor so definitely will never see it. :)

I still see all the updates for that stuff however.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am I still see all the updates for that stuff however.
Surely that shouldn't be a problem? :shock:

Linux fortunately has a wide range of tools, some of which (partly) overlap. That's because we Linux users are, as a rule, uncommonly headstrong and rife with both rational and irrational personal preferences. Some of us even "roll our own", when we aren't satisfied with the standard offerings. :mrgreen:

mintinstall is, generally, mainly of interest for Linux beginners. More experienced Linux users usually prefer Synaptic and/or the Mighty Terminal (Linux's very own Swiss Army knife): apt-get and apt. That said: it never hurts to have an extra pipe wrench in your toolbox. You never know when even a little used wrench suddenly has its use.
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am
Moem wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 am I missed when you made that suggestion to be honest... I thought you wanted the available applications themselves moved off the system, which they already are.
I said that, in fact I have removed it from the Menu by un-checking it in the Menu Editor so definitely will never see it. :)

I still see all the updates for that stuff however.
That stuff? You don't get updates for applications that aren't installed. I thought we were talking about available applications, are we now talking about installed applications? If not, what is 'that stuff'?

Return to “Software & Applications”