[SOLVED] New user worried about Microsoft

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ricky25
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

[SOLVED] New user worried about Microsoft

Post by ricky25 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi, I recently built a new mini pc and installed Linuxmint 18.3, which is running great. The last time I tried any linux distro was Ubuntu 10?

You all probably know that microsoft bought Gethub, and is very likely going to buy conical and take over Ubuntu, does this mean they will have control or ownership of linuxmint, which is based on Ubuntu. I'm very worried about this, if I've written anything factually incorrect I apologize.
Last edited by ricky25 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Moem
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7027
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by Moem » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm

I think you meant GitHub and Canonical, but those are just typos... it happens. :wink:
In any case, Linux Mint is not owned by Canonical, so buying that would not make anyone owner of Linux Mint.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4144
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by gm10 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:24 pm

This reminds me: https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-buys-ca ... x-forever/

For more Microsoft tinfoilhattery better post in the open chat part of the forum. ;)

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2785
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by michael louwe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm

ricky25 wrote:You all probably know that microsoft bought Github, and is very likely going to buy Canonical and take over Ubuntu, does this mean they will have control or ownership of linuxmint, which is based on Ubuntu. I'm very worried about this.
.
Not likely. No need to worry.

Even if this were to happen, LM can turn directly to Debian as its base, ie bypasses the M$-owned Ubuntu. Linux users can also opt for non-Ubuntu-based distros, ... https://itsfoss.com/non-ubuntu-beginner-linux/

User avatar
Pepi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 719
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by Pepi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I have a friend that owns a NAPA autoparts store. He called me today and was having trouble with Windows 10 on his 5 machines. I went in to try and help him. OMG Windows 10 is the biggest mess I've ever seen. It has something to do with the Microsoft Edge that was downloaded from the NAPA corp two days ago. They were just using Explorer before. I told him I could be no help with that but I did help them out by installing Chrome on the computers so they could get to their email. WOW ... Microsofty

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4144
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by gm10 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Pepi wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm
I have a friend that owns a NAPA autoparts store. He called me today and was having trouble with Windows 10 on his 5 machines. I went in to try and help him. OMG Windows 10 is the biggest mess I've ever seen. It has something to do with the Microsoft Edge that was downloaded from the NAPA corp two days ago. They were just using Explorer before. I told him I could be no help with that but I did help them out by installing Chrome on the computers so they could get to their email. WOW ... Microsofty
I think Windows 10 is great, I think Microsoft bashing is boring, in fact it's outright hilarious bashing them because of some random company having trouble reading emails in their browser when over here interaction between a mint package and the current boot loader package prevents successful installations and the current kernel breaks the boot process plus a bunch of other things.

but really --> off topic chat

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1630
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by KBD47 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:07 pm

There were lots of concerns raised in the Linux community about MS buying Github when first announced. Some Linux folks moved to Gitlab. Others have taken a 'wait and see' approach.
I would not be surprised if Canonical sold out to MS. But no news on that front right now.
Mint would do just fine with a Debian base, and Linux Mint Debian edition beta should be out in a few weeks. Most users would not notice a difference with a Debian base, and Debian has a huge number of packages. So regardless of what Ubuntu/Canonical does in the future, Mint will be good to go.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9278
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 am

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by altair4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Instead of being worried about Microsoft buying or not buying Canonical the Mint user should be worried that one day the fella that runs Mint decides to chuck it all and becomes a sheep farmer.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

User avatar
thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1251
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by thx-1138 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:10 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm
..........................
...i think you also forgot mentioning possible ext4 corruption since late April mid February...
(yet still, Win10 is far from great) :wink:

User avatar
Pepi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 719
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by Pepi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm
Pepi wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm
I have a friend that owns a NAPA autoparts store. He called me today and was having trouble with Windows 10 on his 5 machines. I went in to try and help him. OMG Windows 10 is the biggest mess I've ever seen. It has something to do with the Microsoft Edge that was downloaded from the NAPA corp two days ago. They were just using Explorer before. I told him I could be no help with that but I did help them out by installing Chrome on the computers so they could get to their email. WOW ... Microsofty
I think Windows 10 is great, I think Microsoft bashing is boring, in fact it's outright hilarious bashing them because of some random company having trouble reading emails in their browser when over here interaction between a mint package and the current boot loader package prevents successful installations and the current kernel breaks the boot process plus a bunch of other things.

but really --> off topic chat
They do a lot of their business by reading emails :roll: Maybe 19 is buggy but Mint 18.3 is solid as steel

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4144
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by gm10 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:30 pm

thx-1138 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:10 pm
gm10 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm
..........................
...i think you also forgot mentioning possible ext4 corruption since late April mid February...
(yet still, Win10 is far from great) :wink:
Not forgot as much as there's no point in starting to make a list. Launchpad counts over 136k open bug reports for Ubuntu alone. I'm sure after filtering the invalid, duplicate or otherwise irrelevant reports there'll be plenty enough left over to make my point. So nobody should try to get on any high horses, it's all just buggy software on either side. ;)

ricky25
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by ricky25 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Thank you all for your replies, and sorry for my typos, Canonical and Github of course. I'd just started with computing again and learning about linux, then I read about Microsoft buying up Github but feel much better that Linuxmint won't be afected.

Knowing Microsofts EEE strategy I feared for the worse, after recent events it looks like one April fools joke that sadly maybe coming true for Ubuntu. Thanks again.

User avatar
rado84
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:31 am
Contact:

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by rado84 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:55 pm

michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Even if this were to happen, LM can turn directly to Debian as its base, ie bypasses the M$-owned Ubuntu. Linux users can also opt for non-Ubuntu-based distros, ... https://itsfoss.com/non-ubuntu-beginner-linux/
Which would be sad, if it were to happen. Cuz non-ubuntu (non-debian) based distroes are... well, they're not like Mint. There's no Synaptic in them, no Software Manager, no easy commands like "sudo apt-get install" and everything is unnecessarily hard. There's even a command which sounds a lot like "yoghurt". :lol: Which is why I like Mint so much and despite the recent problems with microcode-kernels, I keep coming back to it. I tried Arch based, suse-muse, Fedora, even some free derivative of RedHat and there's no other distro like Mint.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Firefox 61.0.1 x64, Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, kr 4.13.0-45

ricky25
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Re: [SOLVED] New user worried about Microsoft

Post by ricky25 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:06 am

That was my main concern to about non Ubuntu and Debian based systems.

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: [SOLVED] New user worried about Microsoft

Post by lsemmens » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:04 am

I don't particularly care who "owns" my system, as long as it does what I need it to, when I need to do it. Isn't that what most require of a computer.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7754
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by catweazel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 am

michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm
M$-owned Ubuntu
Nonsense.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
Moem
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7027
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by Moem » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 am
michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm
M$-owned Ubuntu
Nonsense.
No, a hypothetical:
michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Even if this were to happen
I'm sure that you know what 'if' means.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7754
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by catweazel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 am

Moem wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 am
catweazel wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 am
michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm
M$-owned Ubuntu
Nonsense.
No, a hypothetical:
michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Even if this were to happen
I'm sure that you know what 'if' means.
Of course, I could be wrong :mrgreen:
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2785
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by michael louwe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 am
Moem wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 am
catweazel wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 am

Nonsense.
No, a hypothetical:
michael louwe wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm
Even if this were to happen
I'm sure that you know what 'if' means.
Of course, I could be wrong :mrgreen:
Nonsense. :D

newbi462
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:58 am

Re: [SOLVED] New user worried about Microsoft

Post by newbi462 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm

I hate to feed things like this, but while not the most likely thing, I think the concern is what MS did to Skype, or for that matter Apple to Serie: just to get off the MS BACH CHAIN.

There is a history of when these things get BOUGHT the quality deteriorates, and some "updates" end up being more about striping features or breaking compatibility more than they are about improvements. But as has been pointed out MINt already has LMDE project that is about WHAT IF UBUNTU WAS GONE?

Debian was what Ubuntu used as a base, and because Ubuntu was so popular(and more end-user ready than Debian at the time) Mint built on top of Ubuntu.


SO WORST CASE: there is a year or 4 of disruption, things built for Linux assuming Linus=Ubuntu would break and need hacks to make them work as well, but there is a good community here and more than one person that would post the CHANGE LINE X TO BE Y hack to do that. But that would not fix everything. But in short order, there would either be UPDATES that fix that from developers; as in my case more than one piece of software is a PAID PRODUCT, or free to me that pays the dev team for me using it...

At the end of the day 5 years later there would be a NEW KING OF LINUX, and the likely runners are Debian based or Arch based.

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”