(Solved) Mouse Desktop Link Broken

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) Mouse Desktop Link Broken

Post by miknun »

Host: mike-Inspiron-580 Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Hello
I am having a lot of trouble today with the mouse. I have tried altering the mouse settings in the control box and shutting and restarting.
A message has arrived on the desktop that says: Link to mate-settings-mouse.desktop link failed.
Can anyone please advise how i can correct this as I do use the mouse a lot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mouse Desktop Link Broken

Post by all41 »

miknun wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 am Host: mike-Inspiron-580 Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
A message has arrived on the desktop that says: Link to mate-settings-mouse.desktop link failed.
The mate-settings-mouse.desktop file is located in /usr/share/applications. Somehow you have created a link (shortcut) to that file and you need to find and delete it. It may be in that same folder /usr/share/applications,
and will have a shortcut arrow emblem.

You could also use the Menu/Search Tool to find 'mate-settings-mouse.desktop link',
You may have to open the parent folder as administrator to do the deletion, depending on where the file is located.

If you need a icon to rapidly access the mouse settings open your Menu and type mouse.
Then right click "Mouse" icon and choose 'Add to desktop' or 'panel' as you desire
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

Thank you for your help.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the appropriate link using the graphic user interface as the mouse is causing all manner of problems. Whilst I am not very good with the terminal, with the proper instruction it may be easier as it needs no input using the mouse.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Can you boot to a mint.iso live desktop? You can find and delete the offending link from there
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

miknun wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 am I am having a lot of trouble today with the mouse. I have tried altering the mouse settings in the control box and shutting and restarting.
Can anyone please advise how i can correct this as I do use the mouse a lot.
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you having trouble opening the mouse settings tool from the menu or do you need help with placing a link to the settings tool on your desktop?
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

Thank you
I have come from a Windows environment where everything I did was with a mouse open things, access, copy paste etc.
Whilst I am generally very pleased with Linux Mint I am having the odd problem. I do not know whether this is self-inflicted or a result of an update or what. But the mouse fails to do what it I ask it to. Or worse it does its own thing. Because of this I wondered if curing/diagnosing the problem through the terminal may be easier.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

See, that's why it's important to describe your problem well, now I can understand you. First we'll need a bit of information about your system. Please run these commands and post the output here, preferably in code tags for readability:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

xinput

grep -e "Using input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Also is this a recent install or did you have it for a while, did the mouse never work or only recently broke down, and if you have it at hand, does it work correctly when you boot into the live USB/DVD you installed from? Also if you have another mouse at hand, could you exchange them and see if it makes a difference?
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

mike@mike-Inspiron-580 ~ $ inxi -fxz
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 550 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB bmips: 12769
clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1467 MHz 3: 2667 MHz
4: 1733 MHz
CPU Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arat arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov
constant_tsc cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts ept est
flexpriority fpu fxsr ht lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr
nonstop_tsc nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge pni popcnt pse pse36
rdtscp sep ss sse sse2 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc
vme vmx vnmi vpid xtopology xtpr
mike@mike-Inspiron-580 ~ $ xinput
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Logitech USB Optical Mouse id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Dell Dell USB Entry Keyboard id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
mike@mike-Inspiron-580 ~ $ grep -e "Using input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 36.324] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[ 36.354] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[ 36.356] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Dell Dell USB Entry Keyboard'
[ 36.357] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Logitech USB Optical Mouse'
mike@mike-Inspiron-580 ~ $
Hope this helps the diagnosis
Mike
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Please do the inxi command again exactly like I posted it. Capitalization matters in Linux. And please please please use code tags this time (5th button above the text entry box).

Any particular reason you installed the evdev driver rather than use the default libinput driver? My first suggestion would be to go back to the default driver to see how it behaves with that.

apt-get remove xserver-xorg-input-evdev
Log out and back in after that. If it didn't help, run

grep -e "Using input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
again please.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:23 am....................
Any particular reason you installed the evdev driver rather than use the default libinput driver?...............
...Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3), aka 18.x...(ie. he / she didn't installed evdev instead of libinput)...
miknun, do post inxi -Fxz as gm10 asked...
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

mike@mike-Inspiron-580 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: mike-Inspiron-580 Kernel: 4.4.0-127-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: Dell product: Inspiron 580
Mobo: Dell model: 0C2KJT v: A00 Bios: Dell v: A07 date: 11/13/2010
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 550 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 12769
clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz 3: 2400 MHz
4: 1867 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]
bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-127-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-127-generic
Network: Card: Broadcom NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (23.8% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 911G used: 216G (25%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.30GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 54.5
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 964 fan-2: 830
Info: Processes: 207 Uptime: 3:54 Memory: 2498.4/5932.9MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
Sorry about the miss type command.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Ok, let's try this:
sudo updatedb
locate *mate-settings-mouse.desktop
In my system, that returns:
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/mate-control-center:mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/usr/share/applications/mate-settings-mouse.desktop
What does it return for you? Are there any extra references?
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

Any particular reason you installed the evdev driver rather than use the default libinput driver? My first suggestion would be to go back to the default driver to see how it behaves with that.
Would the change in drivers have anything to do with Cups which I have installed to try and sort my printer problems.
mike
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

mike@mike-Inspiron-580 ~ $ sudo updatedb
[sudo] password for mike:
locate *mate-settings-mouse.desktop
mike@mike-Inspiron-580 ~ $ locate *mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/home/mike/.local/share/Trash/files/Link to mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/home/mike/.local/share/Trash/files/mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/timeshift/snapshots/2018-06-25_10-00-01/localhost/usr/share/app-install/desktop/mate-control-center:mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/timeshift/snapshots/2018-06-25_10-00-01/localhost/usr/share/applications/mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/timeshift/snapshots/2018-07-02_10-00-01/localhost/usr/share/app-install/desktop/mate-control-center:mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/timeshift/snapshots/2018-07-02_10-00-01/localhost/usr/share/applications/mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/timeshift/snapshots/2018-07-09_10-00-01/localhost/usr/share/app-install/desktop/mate-control-center:mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/timeshift/snapshots/2018-07-09_10-00-01/localhost/usr/share/applications/mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/mate-control-center:mate-settings-mouse.desktop
/usr/share/applications/mate-settings-mouse.desktop
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...i'd try: gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.peripherals-mouse
gm10

Post by gm10 »

miknun wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 am
Would the change in drivers have anything to do with Cups which I have installed to try and sort my printer problems.
mike
No, it was my mistake, thx-1138 corrected me above - you're on Mint 18.3 and your current driver is actually the default for that one. It may still be a good idea to switch to libinput by sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput; sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-input-evdev, but you haven't actually answered my initial questions yet whether the mouse ever worked in Linux Mint, for example with the live USB, or whether it stopped working at a specific point in time. If we can tie that down to an update you installed or something like that we could identify the cause much easier.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

....i'd try: gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.peripherals-mouse
I have tried that, it ran but with no resultant message, is that correct?
I rebooted machine and used for a while and although not back to normal, the mouse is at least usable now.
No, it was my mistake, thx-1138 corrected me above - you're on Mint 18.3 and your current driver is actually the default for that one.
It may still be a good idea to switch to libinput by sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput; sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-input-evdev,
but you haven't actually answered my initial questions yet whether the mouse ever worked in Linux Mint, for example with the live USB, or whether it stopped working at a specific point in time. If we can tie that down to an update you installed or something like that we could identify the cause much easier.
Use from the time I installed and set up Linux Mint the mouse has worked reasonably well. I tinker with Control Centre:Mouse occasionally.
I have attached list of my recent updates to see if they may have caused a problem.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

None of those look problematic. Maybe something else further down if you remember what day exactly it started.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Re: (Solved) Mouse Desktop Link Broken

Post by miknun »

Thank you for every-bodies help.
Mouse is not working as well as I would like it to, but it is allowing me to carry out the basic actions and not jumping all over the place. I might try a new one and see if it any better.
Thank you again
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

I am not sure if this is allowed, but I have bought a new mouse, which seems to have solved a lot of my problems. I am not sure why, but it seems to work.
Thanks again Mike

Return to “Beginner Questions”