[SOLVED] New user worried about Microsoft

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mattyboy

Re: [SOLVED] New user worried about Microsoft

Post by Mattyboy »

Ain't the bigger 'red flag' being the fact now M$ and google both have seats of power at the Linux foundation?..... and we all know who's wages they pay...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Mattyboy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 pm Ain't the bigger 'red flag' being the fact now M$ and google both have seats of power at the Linux foundation?..... and we all know who's wages they pay...
Considering Google provides the most popular Linux distro it would be very weird for them not to have a seat at the table. And Microsoft has been a big contributor to open source as well for a while now, although with their WSL efforts they are of course trying to keep the Linux parts of it in the family.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: New user worried about Microsoft

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:51 am
catweazel wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 am
Moem wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 am
No, a hypothetical:

I'm sure that you know what 'if' means.
Of course, I could be wrong :mrgreen:
Nonsense. :D
Touche :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:25 pm
Considering Google provides the most popular Linux distro it would be very weird for them not to have a seat at the table. And Microsoft has been a big contributor to open source as well for a while now, although with their WSL efforts they are of course trying to keep the Linux parts of it in the family.
Interesting isn't it. Various Linux disto's available in Windows now and their new Linux based IOT OS in the pipeline. Fingers in many pies.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

rado84 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:55 pm
michael louwe wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm Even if this were to happen, LM can turn directly to Debian as its base, ie bypasses the M$-owned Ubuntu. Linux users can also opt for non-Ubuntu-based distros, ... https://itsfoss.com/non-ubuntu-beginner-linux/
Which would be sad, if it were to happen. Cuz non-ubuntu (non-debian) based distroes are... well, they're not like Mint. There's no Synaptic in them, no Software Manager, no easy commands like "sudo apt-get install" and everything is unnecessarily hard. There's even a command which sounds a lot like "yoghurt". :lol: Which is why I like Mint so much and despite the recent problems with microcode-kernels, I keep coming back to it. I tried Arch based, suse-muse, Fedora, even some free derivative of RedHat and there's no other distro like Mint.
Personally I think the way Manjaro Xfce add/remove software program does things much better then Synaptic, but is just my humble opinion.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

whm1974 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:32 amPersonally I think the way Manjaro Xfce add/remove software program does things much better then Synaptic, but is just my humble opinion.
Heh, Synaptic is a huge mess for a new user, anyway. Without a decent understanding of the package/repository system I don't think anybody will understand half of what's going on in that software. Pacman is much simpler to use in that regard.

That said, it's hard to break habits. Once you get people used to one way of doing it it takes disproportionately higher amounts of convincing to get them to change. We all know it's part of the success story of operating systems. Canonical/Ubuntu had to learn that the hard way, too.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Synaptic is only for the advanced users, that's true (and an invaluable tool for them, as well).

However: isn't it much more appropriate to compare the Manjaro Xfce add/remove software program, with Software Manager instead?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 pm However: isn't it much more appropriate to compare the Manjaro Xfce add/remove software program, with Software Manager instead?
For the GUI, Software + Update Manager combined, yeah. Basically. But the CLI version we'd have to compare to apt I guess. It's hard to do a 1:1 comparison on that one. I understand why he compared it to Synaptic.
rado84

Post by rado84 »

whm1974 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:32 am Personally I think the way Manjaro Xfce add/remove software program does things much better then Synaptic, but is just my humble opinion.
The thing about Manjaro (all DEs, no exceptions) I "loved" so much it made me puke and quickly move back to Mint was the constant and unstoppable crashing something called "logout-greeter" which as I understand is responsible for restarting/shutting down/suspending the computer. When it crashes you can do none of the above and the only way to reboot/shut down your computer is hard reset using the button on the case. Which in my book is not a normal operating system. :roll:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Pjotr wrote:
Synaptic is only for the advanced users,
I don't get that. What's so hard about it?
rado84

Post by rado84 »

I wonder the same thing as Schultz. I'm far from advanced user and I still manage quite fine with Synaptic. My only "weapon" for that is speaking English and carefully reading the description in the cases I'm not familiar with the package.
Backwoods Penguin

Post by Backwoods Penguin »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:04 am I don't particularly care who "owns" my system, as long as it does what I need it to, when I need to do it. Isn't that what most require of a computer.
Yes, and that is very unfortunate. The vast majority of people are willing to (literally) be assigned a "Unique Marketing ID" and give up any reasonable amount of privacy as long as less effort is required of them. I choose a different path because I value my privacy and am willing to take steps to minimize being monitored.

I don't wear Tinfoil, however I don't dismiss those who do either.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Backwoods Penguin wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:50 pm
lsemmens wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:04 am I don't particularly care who "owns" my system, as long as it does what I need it to, when I need to do it. Isn't that what most require of a computer.
Yes, and that is very unfortunate. The vast majority of people are willing to (literally) be assigned a "Unique Marketing ID" and give up any reasonable amount of privacy as long as less effort is required of them. I choose a different path because I value my privacy and am willing to take steps to minimize being monitored.

I don't wear Tinfoil, however I don't dismiss those who do either.
No argument with you there. I also turned off everything that I could when in Windows, I'd probably still be there if it weren't so unstable. NO! I will not willingly
return.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Beginner Questions”