How to install .exe files on linuxmint cinnamon 18.3?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
R_d_a
Level 1
Level 1

How to install .exe files on linuxmint cinnamon 18.3?

Post by R_d_a » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:28 am

Hello,
I am working with linux since a pretty long time. But yesterday I was working on libreoffice writer and i needed to draw some specific diagram. I tried many softwares from the software manager but they were not satisfactory. I don't know whether we can install .exe files on linux or not but if it is possible please suggest me the solutions.

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to install .exe files on linuxmint cinnamon 18.3?

Post by trytip » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:41 am

it all depends. some .exe can work some not

do you have wine installed ? sudo apt install wine winetricks then you should be able to install. wine is the ability to run some windows apps. you may get a shortcut menu or desktop icon after installing or not. if not your window programs will be in .wine/drive_c/ open file manager and hit ctrl+h to show hidden files (thos are the files that start with a .dot)

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:39 am

Wine is only an interface layer that works only SOME of the time -- it is not a general solution for wanting to run any .exe file that you find.

You should first check the Windows app against entries in this database to determine its Wine rating: https://appdb.winehq.org/

If the Windows app is not listed, or if its rating is lower than Gold, you are wasting your time on it.

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 am

R_d_a wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:28 am
Hello,
I am working with linux since a pretty long time. But yesterday I was working on libreoffice writer and i needed to draw some specific diagram. I tried many softwares from the software manager but they were not satisfactory. I don't know whether we can install .exe files on linux or not but if it is possible please suggest me the solutions.
I'm guessing the highlighted bit is the crux of your problem. What sort of diagram do you need to draw, there are many more than adequate drawing packages available in Linux. What did you use in Windoze, which might give us an idea of a suitable alternative.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Software & Applications”