Mintbackup gives no list of installed programs (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Denko
Level 2
Level 2

Mintbackup gives no list of installed programs (SOLVED)

Post by Denko »

I upgraded from 18.3 to 19.0, but there are several mysterious issues. To clear these up I want to do a fresh clean install of 19, but Mintbackup gives no list of installed programs, so this will be a lot of work figuring out which programs, fonts etc were installed.

Anyone know how to get mintbackup to generate the list of installed programs etc.?

Are there other options?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: Mintbackup gives no list of installed programs

Post by Sir Charles »

If I am not mistaken, Mint Backup only generates a list of the software installed via Software Manager and not those installed via Synaptic, Gdebi or terminal.You could generate a complete list of all the installed packages in your system by:

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > installed-packages.list
Denko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Denko »

Thank you very much. I got the list.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

You are welcome!
You might also want to have a look at the application "Aptik" for making backups of the list of you software, your home directory , PPA:s etc.

Cheers
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Note that the list generated by dpkg for Mint 18.3, shouldn't be used "as is" in an installation script in 19. Among other things, this has to do with file versions.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 am Note that the list generated by dpkg for Mint 18.3, shouldn't be used "as is" in an installation script in 19. Among other things, this has to do with file versions.
I believe the OP is already on an in-place upgraded 19, isn't he?
Denko wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 am I upgraded from 18.3 to 19.0, but there are several mysterious issues. To clear these up I want to do a fresh clean install of 19...
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Marziano wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:53 am
Pjotr wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 am Note that the list generated by dpkg for Mint 18.3, shouldn't be used "as is" in an installation script in 19. Among other things, this has to do with file versions.
I believe the OP is already on an in-place upgraded 19, isn't he?
I overlooked that... You're right. :)
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Generally valid point though. It's good to keep it in mind in this upgrading season.

Cheers
Last edited by Sir Charles on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

This is part of my own backup/restore scripts:

apt list --manual-installed | awk -F'/' '{gsub(/Listing\.\.\./,"apt install"); printf "%s ", $1; }' > installed_packages_restore.sh; chmod u+x installed_packages_restore.sh
It outputs a script that, when run, will install all the packages installed on your system.

In my actual usage I have another command filter out all the packages that come pre-installed to make it usable between distro versions but as long as you're using it on the same version of Mint that won't be a problem.

Maybe it helps.
Denko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Denko »

Thank you gm10. I created the script.

Can I assume that all files/packages were updated when I updated to 19.0?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Denko wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:31 am Thank you gm10. I created the script.

Can I assume that all files/packages were updated when I updated to 19.0?
I haven't looked at the mintupgrade script but if your existing packages are still in the configured repositories then they will be upgraded with everything else via Update Manager. My script will just install whatever latest version of the package is available (and if something is not available because it came from an additional repository/PPA that's not configured on the install you're running the generated script on it will throw an error and tell you so).
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Denko wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 am I upgraded from 18.3 to 19.0, but there are several mysterious issues. To clear these up I want to do a fresh clean install of 19, but Mintbackup gives no list of installed programs, so this will be a lot of work figuring out which programs, fonts etc were installed.

Anyone know how to get mintbackup to generate the list of installed programs etc.?

Are there other options?
Marziano wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 am If I am not mistaken, Mint Backup only generates a list of the software installed via Software Manager and not those installed via Synaptic, Gdebi or terminal.You could generate a complete list of all the installed packages in your system by:

dpkg --get-selections > installed-packages.list
Mint 19 Backuptool is bugged in that it isn't even listing Software Manager installed packages - see https://github.com/linuxmint/mintbackup/issues/55 due to a change in the way Software Manager records installed packages that's not been reflected in Backuptool code.

The file produced by dpkg --get-selections > installed-packages.list is accepted as a restore input by Backuptool.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Denko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Denko »

Thank y'all for the quick and good help. I will prepare for a clean install - too many weird bugs in this upgrade (network disappearing, extra login requests, xserver popup messages, not properly 'waking up' sometimes).

I have one question though: I have seen several places, that keeping the dot files (setup files?) in my home directory can/will create problems. Is that true? What would be the way around that?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Denko wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:10 am I have one question though: I have seen several places, that keeping the dot files (setup files?) in my home directory can/will create problems. Is that true? What would be the way around that?
They're user settings, and shouldn't give problems. However.... It's conceivable that user settings that were right for an older version, create problems in a newer version. So I advise to preserve only those user settings files, that are worth preserving. Like for instance your settings for Firefox and Chrome. And for Thunderbird (which contains all emails as well).
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:40 am They're user settings, and shouldn't give problems. However.... It's conceivable that user settings that were right for an older version, create problems in a newer version. So I advise to preserve only those user settings files, that are worth preserving. Like for instance your settings for Firefox and Chrome. And for Thunderbird (which contains all emails as well).
I'd advise to just keep everything, it's just not worth the effort to pick and choose. You can always remove them later, should problems actually occur. In that case you can just move those settings to a backup location and re-log to see if anything changes or alternatively quickly create a new user and log into a completely blank slate - I do the latter. If nothing changes, it wasn't even your user settings at fault.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Well, personally I love clean slates when upgrading....

I already had the habit of only preserving ~/.mozilla, ~/.config/google-chrome and ~/.config/chromium, and also the habit of backing up my personal files on an external medium (as of course everybody should). So I saw that as a nice chance to nuke the separate /home partition on my hard disk as well. It was a useless complication, causing inefficient disk usage. :mrgreen:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Nothing wrong with cleaning house once in a while. Until you load that one program that stored data you still need in a folder you hadn't been aware of. Then you rush to find that backup and hopefully still have it. ;)

Big fan of separate /home partitions personally, but I also use them for data storage without separating that out further, so probably different use case.
Denko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Denko »

I do indeed have a separate home partition as well as external backup of it (via the wonderful luckybackup), so I think I am fine.
Denko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Denko »

Sorry guys

I did a clean install of lm19. Some problems but now ok.

However, your instructions did not work. The auto-re-install script did nothing - just terminte & close the terminal. The generated list of installed packages does not work as an input file for backuptools.

what am I overlooking or doing wrong here?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Denko wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:53 pm However, your instructions did not work. The auto-re-install script did nothing - just terminte & close the terminal.
Which one, mine? Did you click on it in the file browser? That won't work, you need to run that from within a terminal window. Just type ./installed_packages_restore.sh (adjust the path if it's not in your home folder).

Return to “Beginner Questions”