[SOLVED] Extending root partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jeffex
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Extending root partition

Post by Jeffex »

Hi there,
I have looked around the Internet for answers to this query but I am still not entirely confident about what I think I should do here.
As you can see the space on root is getting low and I wish to increase it.
Is it simply a matter of booting to the live disk, opening Gparted, and dragging the left edge on the home partition to the right, then dragging the swap to the right, and last of all, dragging the right edge of the root partition to the right also?
Any guidance would be appreciated thank you.
I am running Mint 19 Cinnamon.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa, Cinnamon: 4.4.8
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Extending root partitian

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

You might want to see what is using up so much space. You could open Disk Usage Analyzer under Administration (if using cinnamon). and see.
I don't think you can expand your root partition very much because your home partition to the right is in the way. You could delete the swap partition and move the boundary of Root to the right that much though.
Note: I don't think you can move the left hand boundary of a partition to the right.
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Extending root partition

Post by Pierre »

Yes - - you can move the LHS of SDd 3 to the right, and then allow some time for the data to be shifted across,
& then move SDd 2 to the right as well, and allow a bit of time for that Data to be moved,
then finally, extend the RHS of SDd 1 to the right & then allow some time for the data to be shifted across,

Yep - you Do Have to perform all of this from Gparted, whilst using the Live Environment,
of your Booted Live Media.

- - do allow a fair bit of Time for all of this to happen, as it is a fairly slow procedure.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Jeffex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeffex »

Thank you OunceofCommonSense and Pierre.
Pierre, what do you mean by 'a fair bit of time', is that 15 minutes, 1 hour...is there some kind of indication that the process is completed?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

well, to move that SDd2 which is the /swap partition, could take, maybe Five Minutes,
but for the other two, as SDd3 is a resize & SDd1 is also a resize - - that could take 40 - 60 Min for each . .

it's depends a little on the speed of your CPU & just how SDD is connected to the machine:
- usb cable or via a Sata cable - - I've done this via a usb cable & it was very, very slow - - but it did work !.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Let me +1 to simply getting rid of some data in your / root partition, there's no need for it to be that big, in particular with a separate swap partition. Run apt autoremove; apt autoclean and cleaning out old log files from /var/log will probably go a long way, and as OunceofCommonSense suggested, running Disk Usage Analyzer with elevated privileges may help you find other culprits.

Also +1 to his move suggestion should you want to increase / regardless. His way would finish rather quickly compared to the other. You could shrink /home from the RHS and add another swap at the end. Remember you'll need to unmount/swapoff all partitions before you can modify them.
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

on this Mate based machine - that is called "mate-disk-usage-analyzer" and is available in System Tools.
8)
that can help, in determining which directory is taking the most disk-space.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 am on this Mate based machine - that is called "mate-disk-usage-analyzer" and is available in System Tools
should be baobab on his Cinnamon.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

and which can be found in Administration section of the Cinnamon Desktop.

( don't like the new version of Baobab, but that's just me )
Jeffex
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Extending root partition

Post by Jeffex »

Thank you gm10, and to all of your replies!
I no longer have to resize things at the moment as I have taken the advice of examining root and removing unneeded files. I have around 3GB space in there now and I am continuing to look for more. When I do decide to extend root I know how to go about it now so thanks again guys!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”