[SOLVED] About the App Launcher (?) entries, "Start Menu" (?), and using the right terms...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tgm1024
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] About the App Launcher (?) entries, "Start Menu" (?), and using the right terms...

Post by tgm1024 »

x64, MATE, 18.3, yadda³...

Ok, I once had quite a lot of unix experience back in the day (Solaris, SunOS, a myriad of other Unix's, device drivers, C, X11, etc.), so hopefully you don't need to dumb down the answers too horribly far.

I'm getting goofed up by what I find on google, perhaps by a conflict in colloquialisms and proper terms or something. So I'll just list stuff out:

1. Is the Menu button on the taskbar (The one with the LM glyph) called the "Menu Button" colloquially, or is it the "Start Menu"?
2. Is the "App Launcher" the entirety of the menu I see when I hit that button, and/or is it such as what I find with Cairo Dock, or is it one of the entries in that menu?
3. And is MATE considered a "Window Manager", similar to the old X11/Motif(etc) days?
4. (pursuant to #2 above...) If I alter the contents of one of those entries, it sometimes behaves as if the contents weren't altered at all. (If I change the path to the program involved for example). So is there an application launcher "cache" of some kind?

TIA...
Last edited by tgm1024 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mistake my lack of reply for some kind of acceptance of your half-baked arguments.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: About the App Launcher (?) entries, "Start Menu" (?), and using the right terms...

Post by gm10 »

tgm1024 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:08 pm
1. Is the Menu button on the taskbar (The one with the LM glyph) called the "Menu Button" colloquially, or is it the "Start Menu"?
2. Is the "App Launcher" the entirety of the menu I see when I hit that button, and/or is it such as what I find with Cairo Dock, or is it one of the entries in that menu?
3. And is MATE considered a "Window Manager", similar to the old X11/Motif(etc) days?
4. (pursuant to #2 above...) If I alter the contents of one of those entries, it sometimes behaves as if the contents weren't altered at all. (If I change the path to the program involved for example). So is there an application launcher "cache" of some kind?
1. Technically it's the panel menubar, specifically it's the MintMenuApplet, colloquially it's just the menu (or start menu for Windows converts), practically nobody cares what you call it. ;)
2. Double meaning here. Launcher is both the .desktop file that contains the information to launch a program and is used for the menu entries or application links on the panel or the file system, but also the software that interprets these files and actually launches the referenced program. Unspecified use probably always refers to the former.
3. MATE is a desktop environment. By default it uses the Marco window manager, but it can use others (see the Desktop Settings tool, for example).
4. Changes should be instant, However, I've seen reports of a delay before a newly added launcher appears in the menu. I've not personally experienced this but this could explain your issue. If you press Alt+F2 and run mate-panel --replace you can force a reload of the panel and the associated menu.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Newbie Questions”