[SOLVED] Total Disappearance of Terminal from Linux Mint 18.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
julianvb

[SOLVED] Total Disappearance of Terminal from Linux Mint 18.3

Post by julianvb »

2018-07-17

What can I do to restore the terminal of my Linux Mint 18.3 system? If I open System Settings > Preferred Applications, the Terminal box shows a blank space. The old 'Terminal' icon got deleted somehow by my foolish editing of the gnome-terminal.desktop file. Any help will be much appreciated.

Julianvb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Total Disappearance of Terminal from Linux Mint 18.3

Post by gm10 »

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-terminal should fix it.
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

gm10,

Thanks very much for you kind help. Since I have no way to access the command line at all, is there a GUI way for me to execute your suggestion?

Julianvb
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

julianvb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:48 pmThanks very much for you kind help. Since I have no way to access the command line at all, is there a GUI way for me to execute your suggestion?
Two ways -
Ctrl+Alt+T should open a terminal. If not...

Ctrl+Alt+F1 (1,2,3..) to get a "console" to type that...which would still work if you didn't have any terminal (program) to open with Ctrl+Alt+T. Ctrl+Alt+F6 or F7 or F8 to get back to your desktop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Doesn't Ctrl+Alt+T open a terminal window for you? You could also press Alt+F2 and then run gnome-terminal from there.

Alternatively, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, login there, type the command, type exit to log out again, press Alt+F7 to get back to your graphical session.

edit: ninjas, ninjas everywhere :lol:
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Two ways -
Ctrl+Alt+T should open a terminal. If not...

Ctrl+Alt+F1 (1,2,3..) to get a "console" to type that...which would still work if you didn't have any terminal (program) to open with Ctrl+Alt+T. Ctrl+Alt+F6 or F7 or F8 to get back to your desktop.
Doesn't Ctrl+Alt+T open a terminal window for you? You could also press Alt+F2 and then run gnome-terminal from there.

Alternatively, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, login there, type the command, type exit to log out again, press Alt+F7 to get back to your graphical session.
Flemur and gm10,

Thanks for your quick response. I've tried all the above suggestions regretfully to no avail. My original problem began with LM18.3's sudden failure to open a terminal in response to the CTRL+ALT+T keyboard command.

Julianvb
Last edited by julianvb on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

julianvb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:46 pm Thanks for your quick response. I've tried all the above suggestions regretfully to no avail.
You'll have to be more specific than that. What didn't work?
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

gm10,

I meant all the suggestions would not open a terminal or make LM18.3 react in any manner, or do anything. In other words, I cannot see a terminal or console prompt '$'. I hope I'm making myself clear enough. Since I'm still a Linux greenhorn, I can put it differently only by saying that I'm totally locked out of the command line. The monitor screen remains indifferent to all the suggested keystrokes I have entered.

Julianvb
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If none of those worked you seem to have broken more than your terminal link.
For now try this: log out, then at the login screen follow the Ctrl+Alt+F1 instructions I gave. If that key combination (we are agreed that you need to press them all at the same time, yes?) doesn't work there either that would be more than bizarre.

PS: Another option is to open your file manager, navigate to /usr/bin and find gnome-terminal there, double click and select to run.
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

gm10,

I've been using LInux long enough to know all combinations keys at the same time since 2007. As a matter of fact, in some cases, it's a very good idea to press the first two keys together before pressing the last one.

I did suspect that I might have broken more than just one file. Thanks for your confirmation and understanding. Perhaps we all can learn somethiing new by breaking something inadvertently. Luckily I've many more computes around in the house. But it may be instructive for me to learn how to fix this interesting problem. If I do, I'll report back. As they say, no pain, no gain.

Julianvb
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Hey, you said you were a greenhorn so I better thought to make sure, that's all. We get users with all levels of experience here, you don't know until you ask.

There are still plenty other ways to fix this but if neither of the last two I proposed worked I'd be extremely surprised.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Does Synaptic still work OK? If so, it may be possible to fix broken packages / reinstall the Terminal packages from there. Are you using Cinnamon? I currently only run Cinnamon in its LM17.3 release. My 18.x installs are KDE so will need to check the packages using a Live session.

Also, it's really a good idea to back up these files before doing what you and I do with them .. sorry a bit too late for this advice, this time. It is, however, worth posting its contents here in case myself or someone else can spot something.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

julianvb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm gm10,

I meant all the suggestions would not open a terminal or make LM18.3 react in any manner, or do anything. In other words, I cannot see a terminal or console prompt '$'. I hope I'm making myself clear enough. Since I'm still a Linux greenhorn, I can put it differently only by saying that I'm totally locked out of the command line. The monitor screen remains indifferent to all the suggested keystrokes I have entered.
Julianvb
You type those Ctrl+ whatever keystrokes WITHOUT a terminal. YOU DON'T SEE a prompt!

Another way to get the "console" (a full-screen sort of 'terminal') is to boot into recovery/emergeny mode.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Hi, Everyone,

Thanks for the cool synaptic and recovery-mode suggestions. In my previous posts I didn't mean to say that one needed a console prompt for executing a 'CTRL+ALT+T' keyboard command. What I meant was that entering the suggested keystrokes did not result in the appearance of a console prompt, namely the command line. I extend my sincere apology to all and will report back as soon as I can.

Julianvb
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

Hi, BG405,

Eureka! Your synaptic suggestion is a very cool and neat idea. What I did was to reinstall gnome-terminal from synaptic. Instantly the command-line terminal icon re-appeared inside Menu. Even though I still can't invoke the command line by means of 'CTRL+ALT+T' from the keyboard, for now I consider it a small-potato issue. I'm mighty happy that I can return to my use of the command line as usual. My thanks to you especially and all others for your patience.

Julianvb
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED] Total Disappearance of Terminal from Linux Mint 18.3

Post by BG405 »

You're most welcome! For this issue:
julianvb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 pm Even though I still can't invoke the command line by means of 'CTRL+ALT+T' from the keyboard
There are settings for keyboard shortcuts; maybe this one is missing. I'll have to look at the needed command for a replacement of the missing shortcut, been a bit busy fixing my Manjaro install again :roll: .. think you'll be able to copy the same command from the Menu link.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

BG405,
I look forward to reading your next post on CTRL+ALT+T, with appreciation.
Julianvb
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hey julianvb.

Edit: Nevermind, I goofed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

julianvb wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:54 pm BG405,
I look forward to reading your next post on CTRL+ALT+T, with appreciation.
Julianvb
Should just be a case of reinstating gnome-terminal as the default terminal app in Preferred Applications settings module and confirming the shortcut is still specified in the Keyboard settings module
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I still haven't gotten round to checking LM18.3 Cinnamon but you should get something like this:
Terminal_KB_Shortcutj.jpg
... via Menu > Preferences > Keyboard. It should be similar in Mint 18.x.

Return to “Software & Applications”