Printscreen - Change Default Location to ~/Desktop [ Solved ]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Printscreen - Change Default Location to ~/Desktop [ Solved ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

don't even bother to mention Shutter , I don't like that app, it is too convoluted and can't be activated the way I need it to be.

What I want is to make the Default "save to" location for the keyboard key Prt Scrn to be ~/Desktop/
currently it saves to ~/Pictures/ and for me, that is absolutely horrible. I know it is hard coded, and all that means is, we need to find where that is and change it to ~/Desktop/

it forces me to open up NEMO, then find pictures, then click "Modify Time" twice just to find the damn file so that I can edit it with GIMP.

I already have Screenshot defaulting to ~/Desktop/ with
gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory 'file:///home/<username>/Desktop'

That works great, but there are many examples of when the kybd key is the ONLY WAY to save a screen snapshot, especially when you are trying to save examples of menus.

at one time, a year ago, we had this figured out, and it worked.
but my notes got lost somehow, and I can't find it again, even with Google's help searching this forum.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MintBean

Re: Printscreen - Change Default Location to ~/Desktop

Post by MintBean »

If I hit 'printscreen' here in Cinnamon it opens a window asking where I want to save to. Sounds like you've configured your system to do something different, so you would need to explain how so we're 'starting from the same place.'
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MintBean wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 pm If I hit 'printscreen' here in Cinnamon it opens a window asking where I want to save to. Sounds like you've configured your system to do something different, so you would need to explain how so we're 'starting from the same place.'
Mine does also, to make sure we are on the Same Page, I am referring to the Keyboard's Prt sc key
it always defaults to ~/Pictures/ and for me, that is a severe handicap to doing things fast.

I do 100s of screenshots a day helping my forum members, and that includes a lot of Menu Shots, and those can only be captured by using the kybd Prt Sc key....

pix to show this:

https://i.imgur.com/500KIXT.jpg

and I am using:
Kernel: 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Your gsettings command should have already done it.

Link to earlier discussion....

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266225

BTW - a really good applet for screenshots (it uses the default tool but can be configured to use others ) is at https://github.com/rjanja/desktop-capture
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

smurphos wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:37 am Your gsettings command should have already done it.

Link to earlier discussion....

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=266225

BTW - a really good applet for screenshots (it uses the default tool but can be configured to use others ) is at https://github.com/rjanja/desktop-capture
I went back and reread that entire thread once again, and I repeat, the DEFAULT save-to directory for the keyboard activated PrintScreen is ALWAYS ~/Pictures/
even after saving a previous snapshot to /Desktop/
it defaults back to Pictures every single time....

in the 1st thread I initiated on this, we did NOT make the PrtScrn button default to Desktop.

I want the Default to always go to Desktop, no where else, and /Pictures is not acceptable because there are too many Date/Time/Stamped names in there already....
and, as I said, that requires that I activate NEMO to find the Pictures folder, and then sort it by Modified time, so that the most recent screenshot goes to the top.

Okay, I looked at https://github.com/rjanja/desktop-capture but that is just another utility that gets in the way of selecting a screenshot.....

What everyone is overlooking is that I am trying to capture a screenshot of a Menu.... and once a Menu is up, if you touch any key, or click the mouse anywhere, besides touching the PrtScreen kybd button, that Menu will disappear.....

I don't need to upload directly to Imgur, as that would include stuff that I don't want, I want the default PrtScreen to go to Desktop, no where else. that way I can see it immediately and open it with GIMP to select out just a portion of the total screen to capture a Menu..... The Cinnamon ScreenShot I already have tied to the Panel, so it is easy to click that and capture just a portion of a static screen, but if a Menu is UP, the menu disappears when activating ScreenShot.

So, to reiterate, I want the PrtScreen button snapshot to default to Desktop, and my earlier thread which was referenced never did get that done.

With the current Kernel 4.15.0-24 PrtScrn always defaults to ~/Pictures in-spite of me always selecting Desktop. And every prior Kernel has also:

I never, ever, select any "save to" folder other than Desktop.

And Your gsettings command should have already done it. only effects the Menu activated Screenshot utility, it does NOT change the default for PrtScreen

I recognize that a lot of people use the desktop as a Menu to go to places they use a lot, but I keep that stuff on the Panel. I keep the Desktop totally clear and I use it as a repository for Snapshots.....
The instant that a snapshot is renamed, and edited to contain on the portion of the picture that I want, it is removed from the Desktop... usually to the trash as I upload most of them to Imgur after editing.

a final image to prove my point. This image was captured with a Camera to show that the
Keyboard activated screen snapshot utility always defaults to ~/Pictures/

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It's working here - except I had to remapPrt Sc to Ctrl-P, because Prt Sc on my keyboard doesn't work at all.

Output of gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.gnome-screenshot

Code: Select all

org.gnome.gnome-screenshot delay 0
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot border-effect 'none'
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot include-pointer false
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory '/home/steve/Screenshots'
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot include-border true
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot last-save-directory ''
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot include-icc-profile true
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot default-file-type 'png'
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot take-window-shot false
What happens when I use my custom shortcut Ctrl-P

However - I note that I can't launch the shortcut with a GTK menu open.

My workaround - that applet - as it makes it easy to customise a delay to start a screenshot so you can 'set up' if necessary.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

The MATE desktop's screenshot tool automatically remembers the last save location, you don't need to configure anything. If the one in Cinnamon doesn't, sounds like something that should be added.

PS: I realize I'm not adding anything constructive to this thread. =)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:34 am The MATE desktop's screenshot tool automatically remembers the last save location, you don't need to configure anything. If the one in Cinnamon doesn't, sounds like something that should be added.

PS: I realize I'm not adding anything constructive to this thread. =)
oh but you did.........

and, the example shown is for "Screenshot" and that works correctly for me.

I want PRINT-SCREEN to default to Desktop, and it does NOT.... it always goes to PICTURES,
it does NOT honor "last saved to folder" and even if it did, I want the default to be Desktop.

This my gnome-screenshot

org.gnome.gnome-screenshot delay 3
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory '/home/john/home/john/Desktop'
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot last-save-directory 'file:///home/john/Desktop'

BUT THAT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAT PRINT SCREEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I realize that I am being totally "unrealistic" about this to most folks,
but you have to understand, that this is something that I use 100s of times a day,
and I want to be able to simply type in a TITLE and hit <enter> and have that PrtScreen snapshop saved to the Desktop.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 am org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory '/home/john/home/john/Desktop'
That's your problem.

To fix - gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory '/home/john/Desktop'
Last edited by smurphos on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

smurphos wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:44 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 am org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory '/home/john/home/john/Desktop'
That's your problem.
How so?

if I use the menu Screenshot app, which I have put on the Panel, it always defaults to Desktop, and that is exactly where it belongs

it is the keyboard PrtScreen button snapshot that is not defaulting to DESKTOP
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The path likely does not exist..

To fix

gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory '/home/john/Desktop'
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

well duh,

I see what you mean now.

I changed the line to this:

org.gnome.gnome-screenshot delay 3
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory 'file:///home/john/Desktop'
org.gnome.gnome-screenshot last-save-directory 'file:///home/john/Desktop'
john@john-TP500LA ~ $ 
and it does now default to Desktop...................
I have a headache :roll:

I don't understand why the Applet Screenshot would default to Desktop, but the PrtScreen button would not.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:51 am and it does now default to Desktop...................
I have a headache :roll:
Have a lie down - :D :wink:

There are two relevant keys.

last-save-directory only populates if you use gnome-screenshot launched from the menu and is only used by gnome-screenshot launched from the menu.

auto-save-directory is specifically for the keyboard shortcut method of launching gnome-screenshot and last-save-directory is ignored. I guess your experience tells us that if the location isn't valid it uses the underlying default value. I've learnt something today... :)

The applet ignores gsettings entirely and calls gnome-screenshot specifying the save location as set in the applet config (right click on the applet icon and chose configure to change)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Headache easing off :D

did the Right Click/Configure and changed all defaults to Desktop,
and miracle of miracles, that applet just might become extremely useful to me.

Except, that it will NOT capture a Menu..... the instant you touch the control-key the menu disappears.

and that is why I have to specifically make PrtScreen default to Desktop, which it finally does now.

Thank you so much again........
sometimes, my head is full of iron...

closing thread:

Return to “Software & Applications”