Bluetooth Headphones: Bad Sound Quality, No Sound in Chrome

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexa9

Bluetooth Headphones: Bad Sound Quality, No Sound in Chrome

Post by alexa9 »

1. My bluetooth headphones have really poor sound quality (sounds like 32 kbps) in Rhythmbox
and
2. Don't output any sound in Chrome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Bluetooth Headphones: Bad Sound Quality, No Sound in Chrome

Post by JeremyB »

Go into sound settings and change from HSP/HFP to A2DP
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

JeremyB wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm Go into sound settings and change from HSP/HFP to A2DP
Thanks, I tried that. I don't see it as an option when I click it.

Also tried turning off flash in Chrome and that didn't work to get any sound in Chrome. That was recommended when searching.
https://www.addictivetips.com/web/fix-b ... e-browser/

JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It is an option in output profile
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi alexa9,

As member "JeremyB" stated, the Bluetooth option for A2DP versus HSP/HFP is in your Sound Settings Configuration and or Sound Output and Applications options and the A2DP usually provides much better sound. But there is a trade-off if your Bluetooth headset or device has a microphone that you want to use, the mic is disabled or not available with A2DP only with HSP/HFP options.

I have an ancient Bluetooth headset Motorola HT820 (Bluetooth v1.x) (need a new one) but I do have a newer USB Bluetooth transceiver v4.x for connecting Bluetooth devices and the sound is just ok with HSP/HFP but is very good with A2DP.

I read that newer Bluetooth headsets and devices even with microphones and a newer Bluetooth transceiver (v4.x+) have excellent sound using either Bluetooth A2DP or HSP/HFP option, but I cannot verify this because I don't have a newer Bluetooth headset to test it with.

If I do not make the Bluetooth the default sound output device, then I also have to tell sound related applications when they start which sound output device to use (Bluetooth) through the volume control system tray icon, and or Sound Settings, or Pulse Audio Volume Control app.

You might also try another music application like Audacious, Amarok, Clementine, Sayonara, Deadbeef, etc... for some reason the sound quality can vary a fair amount depending upon the application.

There are also a few related posts on this topic already in this forum.

Hope this helps ...
LM183_SoundSettings_Configuration1.jpg
LM183_SoundSettings_OutputDevices1.jpg
LM183_SoundSettings_Applications1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

Thanks for the responses. I'll see if I can get it to work. It wasn't an option to change it when I tried.
If not there's always a 3.5mm extension cord :x
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi alexa9,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

In your own screenshot of Sound Settings Output profile, there is a list box arrow showing HSP/HFP, if you click that, the other option should be A2DP which should provide much better sound. The Settings Tab should also show this and let you choose the default device. Which edition and version of Linux Mint are you using? What are the make and model of your Bluetooth headphones?

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Can you provide a screenshot showing the list box options in your Sound Settings and or Pulse Audio Volume Control app? Tip set a screenshot delay of 4-7 seconds to give you time to click the listbox arrow before it takes the screenshot...

Hope this helps ...
Pulse Audio Volume Control App.
PulseAudioVolumeControl_Configuration1.jpg
PulseAudioVolumeControl_OutputDevices1.jpg
PulseAudioVolumeControl_AppLicationPlayback1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Hardware Support”