Windows 7 Refugee

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Windows 7 Refugee

Post by Shadow in Fire »

Hello to everyone at the Linux Mint forums! :D

My initial experience with GNU/Linux wasn't that long ago, but I remember when Canonical would distribute free Ubuntu installation DVDs in 2011, and after I was told about this OS, I went ahead with placing an "order" on one. I received it and was looking forward to trying it out, but somehow never got around to it, until late 2014, which was when I was getting sick of Microsoft with their ever-changing policies and shady business tactics to get people to switch to Windows 8.1, or worse, Windows 10. :shock:

As you can tell by the subject line, I'm a Windows 7 "refugee", meaning that up until late 2017, I was a frequent user of the OS, although I was already getting the hang of GNU/Linux by running Ubuntu a few years before to learn more about the kernel and how things worked. Admittedly, I was not really crazy about the OS, often kicking myself and wondering if sticking to Windows in the long run would solve it, but come six or seven months ago, I finally pulled the plug and removed that garbage from my life...forever.

How did I come to that conclusion? While Linux Mint is clearly Ubuntu with a new coat of paint (that's not a bad thing at all), I felt that the way its update system was handled helped make the transition process smoother. That, and also because I was suspicious of the way Canonical handled user data. Unity, I think, was the final nail in the coffin. I hated that I couldn't get rid of that stupid sidebar. So, that's when I heard of Linux Mint, although because I was unsure of continuing with Ubuntu or GNU/Linux for that matter, I gave Linux Mint a fair shake, and it felt more like the earlier Ubuntu builds that I'd enjoyed. Even Cinnamon seemed much less of a bloatfest when compared to Unity, so I was continuing to use Linux Mint more and more.

I really did struggle to find proper alternatives to games and other programs that I'd use during all those years of using Windows, but for the most part, and with the extra hand from Wine (sometimes), I was able to go completely GNU/Linux with all of my machines. To this day, all of them are running Linux Mint, and I'm at version 18.3. I'm going to wait a bit before upgrading, as I'm perfectly happy with my current setup. By the way, although Cinnamon is a very pretty DE, Xfce proved to retain much of that eye candy, albeit with less bloat.

Aside from Linux Mint, I look forward to the day when I can comfortably install and run Arch Linux, as the Ubuntu base honestly feels pretty crippling at times. From there on, I'll get more experience when it comes to compiling software on my own and depending far less on GUI methods. I've actually tried Gentoo for two days straight, so I know that I can get to that level of experience, if I'd simply just try my best.

Sorry for the long introduction, but this is the very first GNU/Linux forum I've ever joined, so a proper introduction would be very well-received by the public.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Windows 7 Refugee

Post by michael louwe »

Shadow In Fire wrote:.
Yes, some of us here are Windows 7 refugees, or to be exact, Windows 10 refugees who have escaped from the oppressive forces of dictator M$.

Welcome to the land of freedom, FOSS and Linux.

Fyi, the default setting for Update Manager in LM 19 is all Level 1 to 4 updates will be installed when selected, including Linux kernel updates.(Level 5 has been abolished) LM expects the users to use the preinstalled Timeshift program to recover from buggy updates = by default, LM no longer directly protects average users and newbies from "dangerous/risky" updates, ie Level 4 & 5 updates.
....... In LM 17.x and LM 18.x, the default setting only installs Level 1 to 3 updates or safe updates only.
AFAIK, in Ubuntu 18.04, the default setting is Automatic install of all updates = similar to Win 7/8.1/10.

Did you use Wine in conjunction with PlayonLinux.?

As a tech-geek, if you want to avoid Ubuntu, you should use Debian stable instead. Arch Linux is a rolling release which is bleeding edge but can be quite unstable during updates/upgrades = users will need to be ready to do quite a lot of system recovery.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

welcome to our forum.
:)

Do Take the Time to Read the LinuxMint Users Guide that came with the installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Shadow in Fire Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

Thank you all for the welcome. :)
michael louwe wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:15 am Yes, some of us here are Windows 7 refugees, or to be exact, Windows 10 refugees who have escaped from the oppressive forces of dictator M$.

Welcome to the land of freedom, FOSS and Linux.

Fyi, the default setting for Update Manager in LM 19 is all Level 1 to 4 updates will be installed when selected, including Linux kernel updates.(Level 5 has been abolished) LM expects the users to use the preinstalled Timeshift program to recover from buggy updates = by default, LM no longer directly protects average users and newbies from "dangerous/risky" updates, ie Level 4 & 5 updates.
....... In LM 17.x and LM 18.x, the default setting only installs Level 1 to 3 updates or safe updates only.
AFAIK, in Ubuntu 18.04, the default setting is Automatic install of all updates = similar to Win 7/8.1/10.

Did you use Wine in conjunction with PlayonLinux.?

As a tech-geek, if you want to avoid Ubuntu, you should use Debian stable instead. Arch Linux is a rolling release which is bleeding edge but can be quite unstable during updates/upgrades = users will need to be ready to do quite a lot of system recovery.
I can only imagine how much worse it is to have to put up with Windows 10. Thankfully, Windows 8's ugly UI drove me further away from Microsoft and their shenanigans.

I'm still unsure about upgrading to Linux Mint 19, because while I like Timeshift, what 18.3 has so far is just perfect for me. I like to be able to select which updates to install. I've been avoiding any kernel version past 4.13.0-45 at the moment, due to issues with my wireless Internet and a few other devices. Mind you, I'm on near-decade-old hardware, so I'll have to be really careful. I'd rather not fix what isn't broken.

I've never found much of a use for PlayOnLinux. The few Windows programs and games that I want to run can be executed directly with Wine. I'd prefer native at all costs, but some programs are old and no longer maintained by their developers, so it's a mixed bag.

Rolling releases have their ups and downs. Once you get the hang of the updates and know when to apply them, you should be fine. I've used Manjaro Linux a few times. I really like it, but as you said, you'll have to be careful with breaking things. That's still the whole appeal of GNU/Linux for me. You get to decide what to put on your computer, no matter what anyone else says.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Cheers in return.
Welcome to the forums
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Maybe we should start a "Windows Anonymous" group along the lines of Alcoholics Anonymous......
Welcome to the world of Linux.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome fellow refugee!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Shadow in Fire wrote:
Aside from Linux Mint, I look forward to the day when I can comfortably install and run Arch Linux, as the Ubuntu base honestly feels pretty crippling at times.
If you don't like the Ubuntu base, Mint has another flavor based directly on Debian, LMDE.
LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is a very exciting distribution, targeted at experienced users, which provides the same environment as Linux Mint but uses Debian as its package base, instead of Ubuntu.
https://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Hi Shadow in Fire
Not too long an introduction, I along with many others went through the long shattering windows thing - in my case as far back NT :oops: I also did the Vista thing to my shame and the Windows 10. :oops: :oops: :oops: I too had the disks, but couldn't remember when - I know I just gave up on them but stuck with 7 until my moments of shame - Now I am in the nice world of MINT and I have my sanity back and can hold my head up :lol: :lol: My advice to anyone coming here is to forget Windows and just enjoy learning Mint and remember as it says on Newbie Questions no question is stupid as we are all still learning and were all new once and the best thing is ; that here people really help or try to help -
Enjoy your stay and the voyage ahead
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Welcome to the mint forums,
great to have you here :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Shadow in Fire",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

Highly appreciated, everyone. Needless to say, my faith in computing has been restored with the full-time switch to GNU/Linux. I like playing around with different distros, but Linux Mint is good enough for most of my needs. I'd like to get to the point where I can ditch things like Systemd and use more obscure DEs. I actually really like i3 (window manager), especially if you're a programmer.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Welcome! In my case, I recently found a set of Ubuntu 12.04 disks which I'd had for years & never got round to trying them. What triggered my exodus from Windows was when I tried Mint on a tablet with a borked Win8.1 installation. Liking what I saw, decided not to reinstall Win7 on the Acer, instead using Mint Cinnamon on another machine for a while & then putting Mint KDE on the Acer.

Never looked back. Have a few old versions of Windows in virtual machines, mostly for historical curiosity.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Introduce Yourself”