Why

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gomerpile

Why

Post by gomerpile »

I've been dabbling with linux for a while and still it is a failure for me. Why
so I have a killer system
i7 7700k
2 1080 msi gamer x cards
1 m.2 samsung 970 nvme used for OS
asus maximus hero ix
2 3d thunderbold montiors
2 kingston ssd HD 1 use for linux mint C
64 GB or kingston Hyper x 4000mhz ram

System setup is uefi, advanced system integration administrator.

After 1 year I figured I'd giv'er a go to see how polished it is,
custom partition Setup separate drive then windows 10
650 MB EFI
100 GB for /
40 GB for /swap
350 GB for /home
Install linux with a stupid grub error upon boot, about 4 hours trying different partitions not knowing there is a bug with this install, Booted into windows to read. Perfect, found there is a issue with grub not loading, but fixed with V2 iso, installed using v2, linux is installed, just great I said to meself. Waiting for some great head way with performance. Disappointment like the first time ever installed. Some improvements with user install and file system and some hardware, other then that linux mint was a huge disappointment,
SO I installed some games
quake
quake 2
some other games, boy what an awful experience it was, totally the worst gaming experience I have had, Id rather play tic, tac, toe board game then even try gaming with linux.
Went to open office, no performance gain then open office in windows 10 using samsung 970 nvme drive.
Found myself staring at a linux mint lime green desktop wondering to myself what is the big deal with this sht. Finally after 3 days of dealing with staring at a green desktop, I said to myself maybe A six pac of molson Canadian tall boys will improve this situation, took about 2 hours to drink that 6 pac staring at a lime green desktop, I made the decision to go to windows and play bf4.
3 seconds I am in windows 10, shouted out to cortana to open origin, shouted one more time play battlefield 4 10 seconds I am playing bf4, not typing at all. I'm drunk about now, so all went well tanking.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why

Post by HaveaMint »

Some people Love windows 10, more power to them.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

just say linux sucks i won't be offended. users should be made known not to come to linux for games. we have them but sometimes you have to jump through hoops backwards to get anything on the screen. linux is supposed to be freedom , but that freedom does come at a cost. i've done enough drunk install to know that i may have spoken too soon because something didn't go my way.

hey man don't feel bad linux isn't able to run on your system, i mean i'm running this on 3.25GB Hardware RAM. i can't even create a virtual machine cause my computer "SAY WHAT ?" :lol:

mint 19 has some bad flaws beginning with kernel 4.15 and buggy 19 release start. but i guess we can't blame it all on mint. it's all Ubuntu's fault :mrgreen: all we do is take their stuff and make it our own.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Once you get your hardware upgraded to a certain point, I highly doubt any PC-based OS could legitimately dominate another on performance. On my dual-boot system (Win10/Mint 19 XFCE), I find that Mint takes up way less memory; in fact, with 16GB of RAM, I rarely if ever touch the swapfile. In your case, 40GB of swap is a complete waste; I would knock that way down - 4GB or less - unless you plan on using hibernation.

That said, I keep Win10 around for gaming (which is not very often) and watching TV through Cox Contour (not licensed for Linux, I guess). I'm sure, if you really wanted to, you could find ways to optimize your Linux installation. But it may not be worth it. I love Linux because I feel in total control of my system, for better or worse. Yes, it probably has a bigger learning curve than Windows, but it's way easier to fix when it breaks.

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do moving forward. There are tons of good people here that are willing to help.
gomerpile

Post by gomerpile »

Has nothing to do with love of win 10, I'm looking for a way to bail out of 10, but Linux has little to offer for my desktop experience, even gaming. The stupid dos games that are native to Linux is barely any competition to what windows 10 gaming offers. Just try playing vr with Linux, good luck. Just try to use 3d effects desktop, good luck with monitor support. Good luck getting performance with sdd or nvme drive, good luck getting performance using 3000 dollars of video cards with mint mate or whatever U use, good luck using your SB 300 dollar sound card with Linux, playing chopsticks and smoking weed and beer staring at a blank green screen playing tux racers, or play bf5 or bf1 or any other high quality game with Linux is barely competition.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I hope one day that gaming companies will take Linux, in general, more seriously. I'm not sure if Steam under Linux is a viable alternative; I just don't game as much as I used to.

Sorry I can't help you more; the hardware and gaming platforms you mentioned are way above my system's pay grade.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gomerpile wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:22 amGood luck getting performance
It's not really a surprise that advanced features of high end hardware don't get much love in Linux. There's only so much open-source developers can do unless the vendors are on board either providing or helping with open-source driver development, or actually providing compatible proprietary drivers. There isn't much money to be made in supporting linux so most of them don't bother.
Last edited by smurphos on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

This is hilarious
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Needs MAOR! beer ;)

Still i would suggest the OP's main mistake is focusing on gaming. Developers have been forced to favour Microsoft for the main part, and none of Linux's lack of gaming power is down to the OS itself, more the general Windows centric nature of PC gaming.

Sure you can game on Linux, and if you are happy to get super technical can even enjoy decent performance, but Windows is the best PC OS for gaming. Mac suffers in this just like Linux. It is what it is. I keep Windows 7 for my gaming.

Also focusing on high end power hardware under Linux is also not going to look good vs Windows, for exactly the same reasons that gaming under Linux is 'less good' than under windows in general.

When an OS has a clear monopoly and influence in the hardware and software market, the other OS users suffer.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

WTH are you wasting time with games?

that is the very first thing I do, I strip all games off of any PC that I touch.
Time wasters is all they are.

but, to each their own, I am quite happy with my Linux.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

If want to do some serious work, then Linux, or a Mac, is a good alternative, if you want to play games, then you are locked into the platform for which the game was developed. Blame the developers, NOT the OS. For years I stayed away from Linux because I was dependent upon a few M$ packages that were well supported in the alternatives. That did not mean that Linux was in any way inferior, just different. Like Apple, for years it was king in the DTP and Multimedia department, not much any more. That did not belittle any of the opponents, it just meant that Apple had an advantage in those areas. If you want to move house, a sports car may not be as suitable as a light truck. Horses for Courses. If you find gaming is what floats your boat, then get the appropriate boat!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

gomerpile wrote:.
Try using a high-end Lumia Win 10 Mobile smartphone = lack of apps = same problem as gaming or running a business on a Linux computer.

Tiny world market share = no software(apps, games, etc) developer support. That's why.

"Follow the money".

For those who do not need much apps/games support, ie just do web-surfing, reading emails and watching Youtube videos, Linux is perfect and free.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Expecting the OS to make any noticeable difference to the performance of an office app on a high end machine=misinformed.
Coming to Linux complaining that Windows games don't run well=pointless. Go try running some Linux games on Windows and complain to them.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Cant believe you guys replied to a troll post.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Neither can I. Oops, just did it! :lol:

Get the troll (giveaway: looks like a hippy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmYi5u9BhtI
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

six pac of molson Canadian
My favourite is Rickards Red, but a while since I've been in Canada :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:23 am WTH are you wasting time with games?
(...)
but, to each their own
I love it when people answer their own questions. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Anyone want to come to my home tonight for my wife's special Crow Pizza 8)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Opening your post, out of curiosity, reminded me of why you are on my *PLONK* list. People are generally more willing to help when you don't attack them with a sledge hammer. Especially volunteers.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

I think the OP should have done some research about Linux and Linux Mint before he decide to check out Linux. And yes you can use Linux as a gaming platform. I do it quite well with most of my games on Steam and a few from GOG.com.

The thing is, is that Linux does require the beginner to be willing to learn more then just the basics if he wants to get the most out of it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”