Best WiFi option for Linux Mint 19 desktop?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vladtepes

Best WiFi option for Linux Mint 19 desktop?

Post by vladtepes »

It seems that my WiFi card in my computer may have killed itself. It's not being recognised at all.

So.. as at LM 19 Tara, what is the best (most stable) option for WiFi in a desktop computer?

WiFi card?

WiFi dongle?

something else?

Also are there particular brands to go for, or particular ones to avoid (known problems)? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vladtepes

Re: Best WiFi option for Linux Mint 19 desktop?

Post by vladtepes »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:16 am There are Linux-compatible USB Wifi adapters for sale at around US$10 each. ... https://www.wirelesshack.org/top-linux- ... pters.html
Unfortunately that list is from Dec 2017 so doesn't guarantee compatibility with the latest linux kernel AFAIK.

I was hoping to find something I could buy locally (Australia) as I don;t want to wait 2 weeks to get this thing online....

Could someone offer opinions as to whether the following are likely to work, and which might be best?

http://www.msy.com.au/qldonline/periphe ... apter.html

http://www.msy.com.au/qldonline/periphe ... apter.html

is the Realtek 8192 chipset a "yes" with Linux?
These are probably the same. What do you reckon - would they work?
link 1

link 2
Last edited by vladtepes on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Second one will work but I can say from experience that it's quite terrible with extremely low signal strength. I cannot recommend it.
First one I don't know from experience but the user reviews on the manufacturer's page say it doesn't work with current Linux versions.

Why not just replace the wireless card? And are you sure it's even broken? If it ever worked in Mint 19, did you try booting from a live USB to see if it works there?
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Thanks you gm10

Had 18.2 used to work. Now doesn't. At all.

Does have three aerials - ch0 ch1 and ch2 and the plug on ch0 is broken - possibly the culprit?
I've no installed LM19 and neither the live or installed versions of 19 can see it either.

Is there a terminal code I could use to attempt to 'interrogate' the system for the wireless card? (eg a 'lsusb' equivalent)

Then is there are wireless card you'd recommend? I don't care if I have a card or a USB - I just want cheap and working. :)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

vladtepes wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:41 amHad 18.2 used to work. Now doesn't. At all.
Try a 18.2 liveUSB then if you have one at hand. My point is just that it could have stopped working due to a kernel update or settings change. So having a "clean" environment like the live USB to test with will let you know for sure.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net; rfkill list; inxi -Fxxxz
Should tell us something about the wifi that doesn't work
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bill_steamshovel »

This might sound a bit daft ...... but ..... I have sometimes used my mobile phone hooked up to computer with a USB cable ...... depends whereabouts in AUstralia you live ...... and what the relative cost/reliability of ISP vs Mobile network is. ie sometimes in the middle of nowhere the telcos mobile phone plans can be quite economic/reliable for Gigabytes compared to relevant ISPs ...... and the NBN definitley doesnt exist where I live - Am a very light user ie emails and browsing no videos or games.

Bill
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Panda Wireless PAU09 N600 Dual Band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) $39.99 as always read the user reviews. this one is $40 not the typical $10-20 value. THIS adapter works out of the box in live linux. no drivers to install (if you happen to get one that chipset is different you can send it back. i see many adapters throwing in a new batch with completely different hardware)

Panda Wireless PAU06 300Mbps N USB Adapter (2.4GHz ) $14.99

TP-Link TL-WN722N N150 High Gain USB Wireless WiFi network Adapter for PC <<< NO. if you search it will tell you this is most used in live Kali and it used to be. BUT the version 2 changed it's chipset from Atheros AR9271 to have no clue. i bought one of these v1 and works great with great range. do not buy this unless you sure it has Atheros AR9271 chipset
Last edited by trytip on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It is a desktop, I would put a full size card in it with real antennas
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ vladtepes, .......
vladtepes wrote:.
Please refer to ... https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost5835461 , ie the latest Linux compatible USB Wifi adapters(work ootb) are Panda, Alfa, TPLink, ThinkPenguin, etc.

Or replace the broken Wifi adapter card with an Intel one.
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tgwilt »

I recently bought a Panda Wireless PAU09 adapter from amazon. It is a USB unit with 2 external antennae, and I have been extremely pleased with it. It just works on Mint 19, plug and play.

I also have to agree with Jeremy about a regular card in your desktop. USB occasionally exhibits certain vagaries, although I have not experienced any of them with the Panda unit. It hasn't dropped connection, ever, and will connect to a 5GHZ network.

HTH and good hunting.

Tom
Last edited by tgwilt on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

TP-Link TL-WN722N v2.1 150MBPS High-Gain USB WiFi Adapter works in LM19 Mate & Cinnamon. It has the Realtek RTL8188EU (8188E USB WiFi) chipset.
I have been using the TL-WN722N v1.0 for years, which has the Atheros chipset, that also works.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Joe2Shoe wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:53 pm TP-Link TL-WN722N v2.1 150MBPS High-Gain USB WiFi Adapter works in LM19 Mate & Cinnamon. It has the Realtek RTL8188EU (8188E USB WiFi) chipset.
I have been using the TL-WN722N v1.0 for years, which has the Atheros chipset, that also works.
Is the RTL8188EU supported by a kernel module now? Or does it still need to used compiled source code from github?
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

JeremyB, I rehabbed a laptop for someone and used the TP-Link TL-WN722N v2.1 USB WiFi adapter, and it worked in LM19 Cinnamon 64-bit without any problems.
I don't have that laptop or the TP-Link TL-WN722N v2.1 anymore, but I did not have to compile source from github.
Client says it's working swell.
I had to compile the github source drivers using LM18.3 to make it work, though.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
gm10

Post by gm10 »

JeremyB wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:12 pm Is the RTL8188EU supported by a kernel module now? Or does it still need to used compiled source code from github?
Has been for a while. E.g.

Code: Select all

$ apt content linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-20-generic | grep rtl8188eu
/lib/modules/4.15.0-20-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu
/lib/modules/4.15.0-20-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko
But has been in Mint 18 kernels as well. The issue was always just that the nl80211 API wrapper for NetworkManager didn't work with it. Switching to wext fixed it.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Thank you everyone for your input it's most helpful :) and will be a good reference post for others in future I think.

Oh and the Panda stuff does have a good rep but isn't generally avail here in Australian and Amazon won't ship it here either.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Joe2Shoe wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:53 pm TP-Link TL-WN722N v2.1 150MBPS High-Gain USB WiFi Adapter works in LM19 Mate & Cinnamon. It has the Realtek RTL8188EU (8188E USB WiFi) chipset.
Any idea if v 2.0 works? Because I just bought one by accident... thinking it was a 2.1
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

no version 2.0 quote from a customer saying this?
After purchasing this, I found it does not properly work with some Linux setups that were usually guaranteed to work (Kali). After some reaserch, I found that the adapter has two versions - one with an Atheros Chipset, and one with a RealTek Chipset. So far, the only reliable way to tell that I've ascertained is to look at the bottom of the device itself for the FCC number, which is a small sequence of numbers directly above the barcode on the back. If yours reads "TE7WN722NV2", you have the RealTek version 2, which is unusable for some projects. Otherwise, you likely have the superior Atheros version. Another way to tell is, sometimes, next to the S/N on the back, it'll say "v2.1" or something similar. So far I haven't worked out if the FCC number or version is on the box, as I threw that away before realizing this.

I'm rating this product two stars for not making it clear that this was something that I needed to worry about. There should be, at least in the description, something saying that this is Version 2 using the RealTek Chipset instead of Atheros. I don't know if they sell the Version 1 at all, but some people I've asked said they received that version, meaning the seller may be just randomly picking between versions 1 and 2 to ship out.
source also read customers reviews on the right
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Panda Wireless PAU06 300Mbps N USB Adapter
not sure why they are so expensive there but you can search for something that has Ralink 3070, Atheros AR9271 chipsets which work with no drivers.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Seems my post failed so I'll try again.

What's the best way to find out what units have these chipsets. Even the specs on some manufacturer websites (eg tp link) don't seem to specify that information.

Return to “Networking”