Hardware lifespan? Software to monitor it?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Hardware lifespan? Software to monitor it?

Post by SyncroScales »

Hi,

I was using Defraggler to de-fragment some HDD's. I did not do this through Linux, I was using Windows.

I noticed that in a tab that had information about each HDD in the desktop, it said the HDD's have been on for approximately over a year. Over 365 days, not even a year and a half. These HDD's were installed over 5 years ago, I think 6.5 years. Mostly Western Digital, but Hitachi and Seagate too.

I was wondering if there is any Linux software that can give a lot of information and do the things that Defraggler, Speccy, CCleaner and Recuva can do? I have not found anything as thorough. I know about testdisk.

And, since the HDD's are old physically, but the desktop is turned off when not in use: What is the potential lifespan that is left in them? I know parts get old with or without use. I am listening for clicks, pops, grinding, etc and don't hear anything unless too much is attempted to be done on the system, and Task Manager is overloaded.

Back-ups have already been made.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Hardware lifespan? Software to monitor it?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

For information, install this neat little nifty...it gives you just about all the specs you would ever need about your machine and even does various benchmarks

Install System Profiler and Benchmark:

sudo apt install hardinfo

For monitoring/testing HDD etc....again using the terminal, install gsmartcontrol:

sudo apt install gsmartcontrol

These are the only safe clean up proceedures to use, again using the terminal...Do NOT use trainwreck utilities like bleachbit unless you really, really ,really know what you are doing...it is not recommended to use on linux mint

Auto Clean/Auto Remove:

sudo apt autoclean

sudo apt autoremove

Clear the Thumbnail Cache:

rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*.png

rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*/*.png

And defraggler is of course primarily a windows defrag utility which is something just not really needed or necessary for a linux system, but people like myself do this about once a year only because of frequent changes, experiments, installs and uninstalls etc...if you feel you must defrag, use the following command in the terminal to do so...

Defrag Command:

sudo e4defrag /dev/sda1

take note of the fact that the"sda1" applies if that is your main hard disk linux file partition when checked in the "disks" utility...this depends on if you have a separate boot partition or not, etc. it may be "sda2", "sda3", you get the idea...also...DO NOT DEFRAG AN SSD drive as this can do damage...NEVER DEFRAG AN SSD...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks for the information.

Can this command be used for the other volumes and OS's such as NTFS or a Windows Multi-boot? E.G.: Linux is on sda3, the sda 1 and sda2 are a multi-boot or shared partition for Linux and Windows.

Defrag Command:

sudo e4defrag /dev/sda1 (Windows)

sudo e4defrag /dev/sda2 (Shared swap drive or other version or Windows)

sudo e4defrag /dev/sda3 (Linux)
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

these commands are linux only for the "ext4" file system...not fat32 or ntfs or apple products...so you have linux on "sda3, so change the number to 3 as this is your linux drive...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

basic temperature check in terminal:

run sudo sensors-detect answer yes to everything follow instructions at the end. once done run sensors this will tell you basic temeratures
sudo hddtemp /dev/sda <<< single hard drive temperature
sudo hddtemp /dev/sd[a-e] <<< multiple hard drive temperature (add or subtract the number of hard drive from a to whatever

keep a log of your temperatures at startup and after hours of use. there are many monitoring tools this is just basic commands and knowing when your temperatures need more troubleshooting
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

The temperatures are good at startup and after running for two days. I am not currently video rendering for two days or more at 100% CPU and everything else maxed out.

I have used Windows tools. Not used the Linux commands yet. Is there a difference? Can Linux give more information most of the time?

There is good cooling inside the case. More would help for all the parts.

Is there a tool that can also defrag or scan the "fat32 or ntfs or apple products"?

Thank you.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

there is no "one size fits all" from linux or anyone else i know that will do what you are asking to be workable with every OS...if you are running multiple OSs, you have no other choice than to run defrags etc. when your in that particular OS with the diiferent programs designed for those OSs...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i wouldn't defragment anything in linux period. there's no need to. boot windows and defragment drives there.
the only thing that gets fragment in linux are mostly your in your .cache but if you like me, i delete the contents of .cache at least once a day and defragmentation goes away
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Check out SpinRite by Gibson Research. It is claimed that SpinRite works on Linux file systems but that's your call. You can put it on a DOS boot disk and run it from there. If you have a dual boot system with Windows/Linux, I would recommend running it from Windows. Either way it is considered one of the best hard drive utilities available. Steve Gibson writes all of his code in assembly language. Yeah. So it's clean and fast.

Moderator: fixed link. You have to put in the https://

Return to “Other topics”