NVIDIA control panel : where to save config file ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

NVIDIA control panel : where to save config file ?

Post by bill_steamshovel »

Hello,

Found a terrific solution for preventing the edges of my desktop exceeding the screensize - see this video for Windows 10 solution which is almost identical to Linux solution. Apparently quite common when using TV as computer monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yza-fRX6Dc

See attached screen print for Linux Mint NVIDIA control screen - Accessed by typing NVIDIA in the Menu - this solves the problem perfectly - see before and after screenshots. As you can see 1920 x 1080 is too big but 1776 x 999 is perfect - I checked and 1800 x 1000 isnt a valid "natural" setting

Only problem is NVIDIA control panel doesnt know where to save the file - during my googling I discovered that we dont use this particular config file any more and that when people create one they often get deleted again on startup.

Am completely and totally "googled out" where should I tell this thing to save the config file please ?

ALternately can I automate this process to execute every time I log in ?

Least preferred solution is to manually do this every time I startup.

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: NVIDIA control panel : where to save config file ?

Post by Mattyboy »

You can save it where you like, if I remember correctly the nvidia control panel just remembers the path.

/home should be fine providing its not encrypted.

It won't let you save the file in /root due to permissions but if you make a folder there and chown it to your user account/group that should work and is probably the better option.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks Matty,

Was quite puzzled about that - I thought config files had to go to special directories, its clever that you can park it where you feel like and it remembers. Will assume that the next time I need to save a file

Bill
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

xorg.config is deleted every time mint 18.3 starts so its a manual reset every time no matter where you save it.

But its still a fabulous fix for my dodgy desktop and an incentive to learn how to write a little script to do this correction automatically
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Try this: go to Control Center/Hardware/Screens. See if you can get the display manager to match what you have in your nVidia settings. If you can, click "Keep this resolution".

This will save the configuration so Mint sees it when it starts up. The nVidia settings are stored in your home folder in a hidden file called .nvidia-settings.rc, which stores the tweaks you have made using the nVidia manager. This way you get the resolution you want and whatever tweaks you have applied.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion. I get to change the "underprojection" on the nvidia server screen whereas the screen in control panel doesn't give that option so it doesn't give as much control. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Bill

Return to “Beginner Questions”