Installing HP Printer Scanner - HPLIP Software Installation Questions?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oopsonlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Installing HP Printer Scanner - HPLIP Software Installation Questions?

Post by oopsonlinux »

Hello,

Background:
I am trying to install a HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 printer scanner.
Mint 18.1 is my distribution and I have established that 18.1 already comes with hp-linux-imaging-and-printing [HPLIP] software.
However, my printer scanner requires an updated version of the software to run all the features.
This is where I am receiving my info from: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... /downloads

Problem:
The problem arises as I ran the following command: sh hplip-3.18.6.run
The progress stops during the pre-package commands.
I wonder if I should have responded NO, to the AppArmor installer, but then I would certainly like to have the maximum security possible.

The installation instructions [step 7] explain that missing dependencies must be resolved, but do not explain how to best deal with the AppArmor installer output.
Here is where I am now [about half way through on step 7] https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... tall/index

Here is the output:
SECURITY PACKAGES
-----------------
AppArmor is installed.
AppArmor protects the application from external intrusion attempts making the application secure

Would you like to have this installer install the hplip specific policy/profile (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y

RUNNING PRE-INSTALL COMMANDS
----------------------------
OK

MISSING DEPENDENCIES
--------------------
Following dependencies are not installed. HPLIP will not work if all REQUIRED dependencies are not installed and some of the HPLIP features will not work if OPTIONAL dependencies are not installed.
Package-Name Component Required/Optional
libcrypto network REQUIRED
libnetsnmp-devel network REQUIRED
sane-devel scan REQUIRED
libusb base REQUIRED
libtool base REQUIRED
cups-image base REQUIRED
libjpeg base REQUIRED
dbus fax REQUIRED
Do you want to install these missing dependencies (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y

INSTALL MISSING REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-image (CUPS image - CUPS image development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libcrypto (libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: dbus (DBus - Message bus system)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: sane-devel (SANE - Scanning library development files)

CHECKING FOR NETWORK CONNECTION
-------------------------------
Network connection present.

RUNNING PRE-PACKAGE COMMANDS
----------------------------

Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oopsonlinux
Level 2
Level 2

How to Find Device URI? [printer scanner]

Post by oopsonlinux »

Hello,

Background:
I am trying to install a HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 printer scanner.
Mint 18.1 is my distribution and I have established that 18.1 already comes with hp-linux-imaging-and-printing [HPLIP] software.
It also already has the printer driver gutenprint.

I am going to try and see if I can just add a new printer but I don't know how to find the printer's device URI.
It's wireless with WiFi direct, and FYI I have no network router, so would like my computer to communicate directly with the new printer scanner.

Any guidance on how to find the device URI would be appreciated.
Thank-you.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to Find Device URI? [printer scanner]

Post by trytip »

connect it with usb cable if you can
lsusb
oopsonlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oopsonlinux »

Thanks I could buy a USB cable for it [don't have one now] but that's what I wanted to avoid because it's across a room.
However, is this merely a method to set the printer up?
Thanks again.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

if you type

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
it will tell you if your printer and router are talking to each other; and what the address of the printer is;

(You are now running two threads about the same printer; I wonder if the moderators can blend them into one smoothie?)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Installing HP Printer Scanner - HPLIP Software Installation Questions?

Post by pdc_2 »

never seen this AppArmor dilemma mentioned before in hplip and Mint;

our Mint 18 doesn't have AppArmor installed; the system seems to want to drag in many other things;

your 8710 needs 3.16.5 and Mint 18 only has 3.16.3 so you do need the newer hplip;

Karlchen has documented issues with just installing a newer version of hplip; on top of an existing version;

......... if ..... you are stuck at the point where the new version is NOT installed; and the old version is still there ...

.... then if you are going to go ahead and attempt to get 3.18.6 installed ........ best it seems to do

sudo apt purge hplip
then do

cd Downloads
and then

sh hplip.3.18.6.run
and try saying no to AppArmor;

(We did find with our Officejet install that the printer would not talk to the router initially; so I just plugged in a usb cable; somehow that seemed to establish trust; we had a usb config but we then got an automatic wireless config as well so we just run on that; not sure how to explain how it all happened; end result: wireless now works well)
srq2625

Re: Installing HP Printer Scanner - HPLIP Software Installation Questions?

Post by srq2625 »

oopsonlinux wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:48 am
MISSING DEPENDENCIES
--------------------
Following dependencies are not installed. HPLIP will not work if all REQUIRED dependencies are not installed and some of the HPLIP features will not work if OPTIONAL dependencies are not installed.
Package-Name Component Required/Optional
libcrypto network REQUIRED
libnetsnmp-devel network REQUIRED
sane-devel scan REQUIRED
libusb base REQUIRED
libtool base REQUIRED
cups-image base REQUIRED
libjpeg base REQUIRED
dbus fax REQUIRED
Do you want to install these missing dependencies (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y

INSTALL MISSING REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-image (CUPS image - CUPS image development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libcrypto (libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: dbus (DBus - Message bus system)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: sane-devel (SANE - Scanning library development files)

Any help would be appreciated!
DISCLAIMER: The following worked in Debian and should, with some slight modifications, work in LM as well. The largest issue you may encounter is the names of packages, but it should get you close.

The above are error messages generated during the compile of the hplip source - which is what that script is actually doing. A couple of months ago, before I moved to LM, I was running Debian and had a printer that was not supported by the version of hplip in the Debian repositories for the version I was running (Debian 9.3 - stretch).

So, I had to figure out how to compile the source. From my notes:
  1. Install the dependencies

sudo apt-get install avahi-utils cups libcups2 libcups2-dev cups-bsd cups-client libcupsimage2 libcupsimage2-dev libdbus-1-dev g++ ghostscript ghostscript-cups ghostscript-x libssl-dev libjpeg62-turbo-dev libsnmp-dev snmp libc6 libtool libtool-bin libusb-1.0.0-dev make wget policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome python3-dbus python3-gi python3-dev python3-notify2 python3-pil python3-pyqt4 gtk2-engines-pixbuf python3-dbus.mainloop.qt python3-reportlab python3-lxml sane libsane-dev sane-utils xsane python-dev
  2. Download the source code from this location
  3. Extract the source from the tar file. Go to the folder where you downloaded the tar file

tar xf ./hplip-3.18.6.tar.gz
  4. Change directory cd to hplip-3.18.6
  5. Configure the package for compilation (I guess that's what going on)

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-hpppddir=/usr/share/ppd/HP --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --enable-qt4 --enable-hpcups-install --enable-cups-drv-install --disable-cups-ppd-install --disable-hpijs-install --disable-foomatic-drv-install --disable-foomatic-ppd-install --disable-foomatic-rip-hplip-install --enable-fax-build --enable-dbus-build --enable-network-build --enable-scan-build --disable-policykit --disable-libusb01_build --disable-udev_sysfs_rules --enable-doc-build
  6. Compile the code with the make command
  7. And install the code

sudo make install
That gets it installed.
But, don't loose that folder. You will need it should you ever want to uninstall it so you can upgrade to the next version or when the necessary package is in our repos. Then you'll want to cd to that folder and run the command

sudo make uninstall
Now, to get something like xsane to actually talk to the scanner, you'll need to run

hp-plugin
HTH

Return to “Printers & Scanners”