What is cmd to have Firefox open maximized?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

What is cmd to have Firefox open maximized?

Post by RamBurner »

After Firefox's last update it opens in a smaller window and not maximized.
The command on the desktop shortcut is this; firefox %u
What needs to be in that area to open it maximized ?
Screenshot.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What is cmd to have Firefox open maximized?

Post by Flemur »

RamBurner wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:40 am After Firefox's last update it opens in a smaller window and not maximized.
The command on the desktop shortcut is this; firefox %u
What needs to be in that area to open it maximized ?
I open firefox maximized by putting

Code: Select all

[app] (name=Navigator) (class=Firefox) (role=browser)
  [Maximized]   {yes}
[end]
in my ~/.fluxbox/apps file, but if you're not using fluxbox it'll probably be more difficult.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I don't use fluxbox
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just just simply put Firefox in the Startup Applications and it always comes up with the previous session exactly where I left it full screen.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

RamBurner, what DE are you using? I've had a similar problem since FF version 55 (or thereabouts). It perplexes me because some users (such as AZgl1500) state that they don't have this problem. I use Mate and I wonder if this problem only exists in Mate. I also have the same problem with Basilisk.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I'm on 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:20 pm RamBurner, what DE are you using? I've had a similar problem since FF version 55 (or thereabouts). It perplexes me because some users (such as AZgl1500) state that they don't have this problem. I use Mate and I wonder if this problem only exists in Mate. I also have the same problem with Basilisk.
dum dum dum, of course I should have let all know which version it works perfectly in.

Cinnamon 3.6.7
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

I'll try putting it in the startup and see if it works for me.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Putting Firefox in the startup didn't work for me, it still opens with the small window.
I also tried turning off the non-tracking in Firefox as it was listed as starting the smaller window so it wouldn't give out the fingerprint.
That didn't work either.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Assuming our problems are the same, the only way I found to solve this issue is to make the file xulstore.json (found in the profile folder) read only, once that file is set up to open FF maximized. But this solution may have unintended consequences.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

It has been my experience that if you will make Firefox Maximized as you use it, and when you quit, that it will always restart in Maximized mode.

In every OS that I have used, that has been the case.

I make it a point to quit Linux Firefox with ^Q and then shutdown the machine.
as I said, I have FF in Startup and it always comes up full screen,
and it does so in every version of Linux that I have installed, which is about 5 right now.
boyo1991

Post by boyo1991 »

do you close each tab before closing firefox?

if you do, this could be causing it, i just close firefox directly, and then it says it couldnt reopen my tabs, but its in fullscreen. alas, i use chrome now..
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:20 pm RamBurner, what DE are you using? I've had a similar problem since FF version 55 (or thereabouts). It perplexes me because some users (such as AZgl1500) state that they don't have this problem. I use Mate and I wonder if this problem only exists in Mate. I also have the same problem with Basilisk.
Mint 19 MATE here, my FF starts maximized. It also doesn't have the issue below:
boyo1991 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 am do you close each tab before closing firefox?

if you do, this could be causing it, i just close firefox directly, and then it says it couldnt reopen my tabs, but its in fullscreen. alas, i use chrome now..
So I guess it's something about each of your settings. I don't know which ones. Maybe start over with a clean slate.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

@RamBurner, it's highly likely that your window manager will allow you to specify that a certain application, in this case Firefox, opens maximized each time (flemur's suggestion).

Or, try a new profile (gm10's suggestion).
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

Yes, I'm at the point of uninstalling it and reinstalling it. It's a shame there is no command to put into the Properties window to open it maximized every time like there is in Windows.
boyo1991

Post by boyo1991 »

So I guess it's something about each of your settings. I don't know which ones. Maybe start over with a clean slate.
To be fair, I'm not even against it, I don't pay it no mind, I just prefer chrome more now. I was just trying to say it might be something to try if he's closing each tab seperately.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

RamBurner wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 am Yes, I'm at the point of uninstalling it and reinstalling it. It's a shame there is no command to put into the Properties window to open it maximized every time like there is in Windows.
"uninstalling it and reinstalling it" won't affect the contents of ~/.mozilla. You may want to look at support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

boyo1991 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 am do you close each tab before closing firefox?

Nope!
I sure don't, that would destroy my work plan.

I leave all the tabs open, and ^Q to close it out, and shutdown the pc

when I boot the pc back up, FF is in Startup, and it comes up Full Screen with all the tabs in place.

Return to “Software & Applications”