Login loop (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Login loop (SOLVED)

Post by darco »

I did a search on this prior to this post...I somehow hosed by desktop. I get the login page, enter password ,it goes black for about 10 seconds then it dumps me back to the login page. I do not have a guest account to log into..also my other desktop show cairo-dock gnome and kodi...I can choose kodi and it logins into the kodi app but if I exit, im back at the login page. I also tried from the live cd, I think I need to chroot and maybe reinstall Cinnamon? Not sure..
Oh and another thing, I dont have network access for some reason, its hardwired, trying to update it , goes out to an ftp site evowise, says something about Bionic.,,,,cant connect
Tara (from upgrade)
Cinnamon

Please help thxs

d
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Login loop

Post by darco »

so I went back to the live cd, chroot the root partition, but when I try to run an update command from terminal, it fails to connect. Is there a way to change the source in the terminal and not in the software source app in desktop? I do have internet connection,able to ping while in terminal ....
just cant connect.....
thxs
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

still looking for help here.....
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...try Ctrl+Alt+F1, log-in via terminal, and rm ~/.Xauthority && rm ~/.ICEauthority...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

^ that, and he means you should do that from the login screen that you get dropped back to, not from the live USB.

After you did that, press Alt+F7 and see if you can log in. If you cannot, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 again, run startx, see what error messages you get. The issue is typically one of messed up user settings or permissions, but if you think you may have removed cinnamon then you can also reinstall it from there. Main repositories are configured in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

gm10 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:47 pm ^ that, and he means you should do that from the login screen that you get dropped back to, not from the live USB.

After you did that, press Alt+F7 and see if you can log in. If you cannot, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 again, run startx, see what error messages you get. The issue is typically one of messed up user settings or permissions, but if you think you may have removed cinnamon then you can also reinstall it from there. Main repositories are configured in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list.
Hey guys, thxs for responding.... yesterday still trying to do this on my own, I lost the login splash screen so on restart it dumps to black screen with login...anyways I did run the commands stated above, had to run startx, now it’s a black screen with cursor only...
Home now so I’m available
Thxs
gm10

Post by gm10 »

darco wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:19 pm had to run startx, now it’s a black screen with cursor only...
That does actually sound like you don't have a desktop environment installed. Did you reinstall cinnamon yet as you had planned? If not, now is the time. ;)

PS: you can kill your X-session with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, if so configured, or just switch to another tty with Ctrl+Alt+F2 ,,, F6.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

gm10 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:23 pm
darco wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:19 pm had to run startx, now it’s a black screen with cursor only...
That does actually sound like you don't have a desktop environment installed. Did you reinstall cinnamon yet as you had planned? If not, now is the time. ;)

PS: you can kill your X-session with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, if so configured, or just switch to another tty with Ctrl+Alt+F2 ,,, F6.
I don’t know why I don’t have internet. On restart it tells me failed to connect https://changelogs.ubuntu .... so how would I go about installing a desktop?
Thxs
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Are you connected at all? What does nmcli say?

You might be able to reinstall the required packages regardless of Internet connection if they are still cached from a recent update. Just try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mint-meta-cinnamon cinnamon cinnamon-common
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 am Are you connected at all? What does nmcli say?

You might be able to reinstall the required packages regardless of Internet connection if they are still cached from a recent update. Just try

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mint-meta-cinnamon cinnamon cinnamon-common
ok so running the nmcli command it shows two private IP of 192.168.1.100/24 and 192.168.8.1/24 which is the problem. I switched IP when I install a new router but for whatever reason, the NIC on mint wont release the 8.1 address. So when I was booting up, no internet connection until I toggled the network switch on the desktop and the 8.1 would disappear and the internet was fine. Looking at etc/network/interface there is no reference to the 8.1. Where else can I check to remove that address while in a tty mode?
thxs
gm10

Post by gm10 »

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ holds the connection profiles. nmcli would have told you what connection that IP was associated with, so you can edit the associated profile in case you manually configured it there. sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/<ConnectionProfile>. Otherwise check with your DHCP server.

If you believe that toggling networking as you apparently did from the network will help then you can also do that from the terminal:

nmcli networking off
nmcli networking on
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:41 am /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ holds the connection profiles. nmcli would have told you what connection that IP was associated with, so you can edit the associated profile in case you manually configured it there. sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/<ConnectionProfile>. Otherwise check with your DHCP server.

If you believe that toggling networking as you apparently did from the network will help then you can also do that from the terminal:

nmcli networking off
nmcli networking on
Success!!...so toggling the network worked but the connection would only last a few seconds then I would lose connection. I ran the reinstall command after toggling network a couple and it eventually retrieved the packages!...So i was able to run startx, desktop came up, then the network issue is still present.
Checking the system-connection folder shows a Auto Ethernet file and some vpn configs but unable to open these files....
thanks gm10 for all your help...but this network issue is still a prob!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Good news.

Now that the desktop is back, you can use the Network Connections tool from the menu to edit connection settings, you don't need to edit the files manually anymore. I do however suggest to mark this thread here as solved (edit OP and add [SOLVED] to the subject line) and to create a new thread about the network issue.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:28 pm Good news.

Now that the desktop is back, you can use the Network Connections tool from the menu to edit connection settings, you don't need to edit the files manually anymore. I do however suggest to mark this thread here as solved (edit OP and add [SOLVED] to the subject line) and to create a new thread about the network issue.
ok done...start a new thread on network issue
thxs
d

Return to “Beginner Questions”