Forum edits my posts, deletes spaces... Not cool. :( [will concede to CLOSED]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Forum edits my posts, deletes spaces... Not cool. :( [will concede to CLOSED]

Post by linx255 »

Why does the forum convert my double or triple spaces into single spaces? Doing so makes sentences appear to run together and is harder to read; I got enough eye strain as it is looking at this screen all day! Please don't modify my post text. I use extra spaces on purpose and would like to see them rendered in the public view. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Forum edits my posts, deletes spaces... Not cool. :(

Post by Moem »

Sorry, this confuses me... do you post things for yourself to read, or for others to read? For most people, double or triple spaces do not make texts easier to read.
I'm sorry to hear that reading is hard for you, though. That must be tough.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

You apparently are in the category of people who write " run on sentences " and never once use the <return key> to help format the display so that it is readable. the problem here is, your screen may be 43 characters wide, while my screen is 120 characters wide.

I have never, ever, seen a forum on the internet that does NOT strip out double spaces, not one.
and I have been on the internet since day one.

you need to use MS Word, or LibreOffice to write your material, and make it readable,
then copy/paste it into the editor.

I have to do that simply because no forum editor has the " Error Replace " function that real world text editors do.

I intentionally space down with the <enter key> to gain control over how the text in a post will look.

while on this topic, I always seem to type cna't for the word can't
the forum editor never catches that....
but almost any decent text editor does have Error Correction and will replace cna't with can't
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 am the forum editor never catches that....
but almost any decent text editor does have Error Correction and will replace cna't with can't
Both Chrome + Firefox have built in spell-checkers. (Chrome's disabled by default). I don't think they can be set to autocorrect, but both highlight stuff like cna't and suggest the correct spelling on a right click.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:59 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 am the forum editor never catches that....
Both Chrome + Firefox have built in spell-checkers. (Chrome's disabled by default). I don't think they can be set to autocorrect, but both highlight stuff like cna't and suggest the correct spelling on a right click.
yes they do, and they are based on a format from the UK or Netherlands spelling, and that irks me to no end.
it insists that COLOR is spelled COLOUR and it is NOT, not here any way.

I want to delete the offending miss spelled words and insert the ones I want, and have it USE THEM, which it never has, ever.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Post by gm10 »

linx255 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:20 am Why does the forum convert my double or triple spaces into single spaces?
It doesn't. Your spaces are all still there. But web browsers won't display them as per the HTML specification.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Code: Select all

You  could   use      code brackets      to        retain  the      desired        spacing.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
gm10

Post by gm10 »

jimallyn wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:52 am
Pretty sure we all didn't point him there for a reason. :lol:

In all seriousness, don't use that for flow text, because it won't flow anymore (non-breaking spaces).
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:43 am it insists that COLOR is spelled COLOUR and it is NOT, not here any way.
In Firefox, right click on a highlighted word and select languages. Pick English (US) if not selected.

In Chrome, review installed languages and priority for spellcheck at chrome://settings/languages

Or in either browser for something a bit more fully featured install Grammerly add-on / extension - https://www.grammarly.com/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 am while on this topic, I always seem to type cna't for the word can't
the forum editor never catches that....
That's because there isn't one. There's no built-in spell checker in this forum. Whatever you are seeing is likely happening in your browser instead.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:56 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:43 am it insists that COLOR is spelled COLOUR and it is NOT, not here any way.
In Firefox, right click on a highlighted word and select languages. Pick English (US) if not selected.

In Chrome, review installed languages and priority for spellcheck at chrome://settings/languages

Or in either browser for something a bit more fully featured install Grammerly add-on / extension - https://www.grammarly.com/
Oh, that is already the default for me, but, it is NOT an American Based dictionary. It is based on the UK system and does not have most of the words that we use that are spelled differently.

Grammerly? what a joke, I have tried it many times, it is a waste of time.
my own sense of grammar is a lot better than that app. no tnx.
English was my favorite subject in middle school and high school.... it irks me with the dictionaries not doing what I want them to do.

I once was a 120 wpm typist, and never looked at the screen.... in the military, I didn't have a screen, it was a Tape Writer that punched vertical holes in a strip of paper..... I could type all day w/o mistakes.... unfortunately, now at 75 y/o my fingers are misfiring and typing words out of order.... " can't " comes out as " cna't " another thing that bothers me these days. sometimes it is so bad, I have to use Word or LibreOffice to do autoCorrectReplace.... then paste into a forum editor.

a lot of my personal problems are a result of that accident in my Avatar. I have lost all of my Short Term memory functions. I have to repeat/repeat/repeat and keep meticulous notes
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

You apparently are in the category of people who write " run on sentences " and never once use the <return key> to help format the display so that it is readable. the problem here is, your screen may be 43 characters wide, while my screen is 120 characters wide.
If you read at all you'd find I write paragraphs like you'd find in any book. I'm literate, my English is great, and I only use run-on sentences when I need to express a big, single idea consisting of many parts and don't want to separate them. I do stretch the writing rules when it comes to technical writing because sometimes to express things logically it's going to be long-winded and take a lot of presence and patience to read. But grade me per your MLM handbook if you must! :roll:

And excuse me, but if you read my posts, I consciously, VERY CONSCIOUSLY use the return key as much as makes sense to separate ideas. If I'm not mistaken I often use double returns to separate sections further. But I won't be shocked if it eliminates my double spaces too.

I have a wide screen that can fit some 200 characters and I see about 100 characters displaying as the forum is rendered on my screen. It's irrelevant anyway, because I don't compose my writing to fit any size screen; I assume it will be resized and trying to compose for a certain screen width is ridiculous and futile.

I have never, ever, seen a forum on the internet that does NOT strip out double spaces, not one.
and I have been on the internet since day one.
Ok, well regardless of this collective philosophy of auto-modifying posts being an improvement, it's not an improvement. If anything it should add spaces.

you need to use MS Word, or LibreOffice to write your material, and make it readable,
then copy/paste it into the editor.
Whatever, lol. :lol: Read my posts; they are perfectly readable and I put effort into making them so and I do use editors other than the one provided. Now I'm feeling really appreciated. :( Does anyone else have any problems reading my posts?

It doesn't. Your spaces are all still there. But web browsers won't display them as per the HTML specification.
Yeah I noticed they remain in the editor. I think it's just atrocious that what's in the editor isn't what's public, sub-standard specification to blame or not.

At lease we're getting somewhere! This is good to know. I'll be looking for a workaround. Spaces are valuable members of the character community and should have rights!

So down with the specification! Image
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have not been reading your previous posts, and with my poor short term memory, can't recall how other people's styles are.

when I really want to enforce_______ A _____ space _______ I do it the hard way :lol:
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

test test  test   test    test

AHA! :twisted:

Now all I have to do is convert with find and replace.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

linx255 wrote:
test test  test   test    test
How did you do this?
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Sorry, this confuses me... do you post things for yourself to read, or for others to read? For most people, double or triple spaces do not make texts easier to read.
I'm sorry to hear that reading is hard for you, though. That must be tough.
I fail to understand how separating sentences by a few extra millimeters makes reading more difficult. I thought I was doing everyone a favor.

We take for granted how much strain we subject ourselves to. In order to focus the eyes, subtle but energy-consuming control of breath is required. Slower breathing and prolonged concentration of coordinating eyeballs leads to more stress. The more you can relax the eye, make it do less work, with more space, bigger fonts, dividing ideas into clearly separated sections, the less strain on your body. That's how it really works. I do have to type more to achieve the extra spaces which is strain but at least I'm not straining my head.

Thank you for sympathizing. It's not just tough for me, it's tough for everybody. It's just that most people don't notice how much strain they're actually subjecting themselves to. I have superb body awareness. When written language was invented, flow and ease of reading, writing, and bodily comfort was not priority, or not nearly to the degree I would prioritize them.
Last edited by linx255 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

linx255 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:41 pm test test  test   test    test

AHA! :twisted:

Now all I have to do is convert with find and replace.
You've got   me    curious!
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

This   is   not   a   space.   It   is   a   special   character   that   looks   just   like   a   space!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

What's this special character called?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

linx255 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:14 pm This   is   not   a   space.   It   is   a   special   character   that   looks   just   like   a   space!
But it's stressing me out! :lol:

Return to “Open Chat”