A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
somelurker
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:10 pm

A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by somelurker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 am

Using TimeShift, I took a snapshot of my system before upgrading to a newer kernel version. The kernel version killed my Internet (I've already ruled out router issues using another device connected to the router via Ethernet).

I did what I've done before; I used the snapshot of TimeShift I took prior to the upgrade. Even after restoring the snapshot though, I couldn't get Internet back. According to System Monitor, I am running the older version of the kernel, and even Update Manager believes the newer version I upgraded to is no longer installed. I've tried both with and without the advanced option "Update initramfs", but neither one brings back my Ethernet connection; I still have no Internet access on it. I can still connect using Wi-Fi, however.

Any ideas on what might be causing this strange behavior and how to fix it? Thanks!

rene
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2187
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by rene » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:43 am

Have you already tried shutting down the system, maybe even yank out the power chord for a bit? That is: only thing that came to mind was the new kernel, perhaps through uploading new firmware, getting your ethernet chip terminally confused.

User avatar
trytip
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by trytip » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:48 am

can you not pick a different kernel at boot? try the advanced options at grub menu. if you don't get a grub menu holding down SHFT key should bring it up.
Image

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:59 pm

for PCs that have internet and WiFi adapters that are NOT supported in the kernels,
what you say is the absolute truth!

I never, ever, allow a new kernel to be installed, UNLESS, I have the drivers needed to get my laptop going again on the hard drive simply because when a new kernel is installed, the Internet is gone, bye bye forever.....
until I reinstall the drivers.

I have espoused on this serious problem many times here, a new kernel should not remove drivers, period!

gm10
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by gm10 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:19 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:59 pm
I have espoused on this serious problem many times here, a new kernel should not remove drivers, period!
Kernel updates don't remove drivers, it's just that you install kernel drivers to kernel-specific directories, so they won't be available for other kernels. The reason for that is that kernel drivers need to be compiled specifically for each kernel because the ABI (= the way for the driver to communicate with the kernel) changes. This can be automated via https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DKMS

If you need to discuss that make another thread though.

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:35 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:19 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:59 pm
I have espoused on this serious problem many times here, a new kernel should not remove drivers, period!
Kernel updates don't remove drivers, it's just that you install kernel drivers to kernel-specific directories, so they won't be available for other kernels. The reason for that is that kernel drivers need to be compiled specifically for each kernel because the ABI (= the way for the driver to communicate with the kernel) changes. This can be automated via https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DKMS

If you need to discuss that make another thread though.
I read that page, and I feel that I have been shorted that knowledge about 20 kernels back.
Had someone, like yourself, simply told me go learn how to do that with DKMS, then all of my new kernels would continue to have the WiFi drivers in place.

I will leave that problem for another thread, because that is my Next Project

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9184
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by JeremyB » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:35 pm
gm10 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:19 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:59 pm
I have espoused on this serious problem many times here, a new kernel should not remove drivers, period!
Kernel updates don't remove drivers, it's just that you install kernel drivers to kernel-specific directories, so they won't be available for other kernels. The reason for that is that kernel drivers need to be compiled specifically for each kernel because the ABI (= the way for the driver to communicate with the kernel) changes. This can be automated via https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DKMS

If you need to discuss that make another thread though.
I read that page, and I feel that I have been shorted that knowledge about 20 kernels back.
Had someone, like yourself, simply told me go learn how to do that with DKMS, then all of my new kernels would continue to have the WiFi drivers in place.

I will leave that problem for another thread, because that is my Next Project
I think I did give instructions for installing the MT7630 module using dkms although at times there might be a hiccup in the process

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:15 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 pm

I think I did give instructions for installing the MT7630 module using dkms although at times there might be a hiccup in the process
and I tried to rebuild that with the next "new kernel" and it failed, so I went back to the old way, and it worked, so did not bother the forum.

I am making a list of needed modules and will create a DKMS thread when I have my list done.

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9184
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by JeremyB » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:37 pm

There is some info I need when the dkms fails so I can have some idea of what is happening.

Code: Select all

dkms status; modinfo mt7630e
save the info to a text file and then try a manual fix

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:42 am

somelurker wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 am
Using TimeShift, I took a snapshot of my system before upgrading to a newer kernel version. The kernel version killed my Internet (I've already ruled out router issues using another device connected to the router via Ethernet).

I did what I've done before; I used the snapshot of TimeShift I took prior to the upgrade. Even after restoring the snapshot though, I couldn't get Internet back. According to System Monitor, I am running the older version of the kernel, and even Update Manager believes the newer version I upgraded to is no longer installed. I've tried both with and without the advanced option "Update initramfs", but neither one brings back my Ethernet connection; I still have no Internet access on it. I can still connect using Wi-Fi, however.

Any ideas on what might be causing this strange behavior and how to fix it? Thanks!
Had you rebooted and selected the last working kernel, you would have regained the internet.
Then if you want, you can remove the offending kernel.

but, what you really need is a fix so that you don't loose the internet, and as before JeremyB is the guy to do that.
so I will back out of this thread.

Rtep
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by Rtep » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:01 am

Do research on ACRONIS HOME IMAGE software.. I'm using this application for backup and restore for decade. No problem at all. Trick is do not, do not use it for anything else then FULL partition (with OS on it) backup and restore. It took me 10 min max to perform full backup and about the same time to do restore. It is beyond logic why Linux basically adapted Windows "restore point" backup and restore. This is my explanation: When system is making those restore points it is doing it without knowing if something is broken, corrupted, infected....so next time you use that "restore points" you are returning your computer to that no good point! Before I use Acronis, I perform anti virus scan, I'm updating system...make myself sure everything is top notch. So, when I use THAT backup I know it will work! Period. That's why I abandoned that Windows "restore points" system. Acronis is working on Windows AND on Linux. It is not free, but it is worth EVERY PENNY you spend. I installed Acronis on Windows. I'm keeping one partition with Windows 10 installed for Adobe Photoshop and a few other media software BUT without access to Internet. You can "burn" "Acronis rescue media" on USB stick from that installation and you'll be able to do restore and backup when you boot to that USB. YES, you can use that bootable USB stick on ANY computer you have! It is fast and just a few click operation. During backup process you can choose level of compression, place where you want to place that backup and name of that backup.Full backup using HIGH compression made from LM 18.3 Sylvia MATE is about 9GB! Sorry for my my bad English.

User avatar
trytip
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by trytip » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:20 am

it would be nice if OP actually had some conversation in their help thread
Image

rene
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2187
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by rene » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:43 am

trytip wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:20 am
it would be nice if OP actually had some conversation in their help thread
I just want him to bloody well shutdown/remove power from the NIC already....

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2614
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:07 pm

another believer in Acronis.

and if only using Windows, Macrium Reflect does a superior job.

IF, a Macrium Reflect Recovery disk were to be made on a PC, then Macrium Reflect could be used to make the Linux OS Image backups also. It just needs to know what PC it is booting up on.

Acronis doesn't seem to care what machine it is booting up on.

somelurker
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: A kernel update killed my Ethernet, and TimeShift doesn't work

Post by somelurker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:38 pm

Sorry for the lack of replies. I had a very busy weekend.

I managed to fix the problem by manually uninstalling, using Update Manager, the kernel version that TimeShift had supposedly reverted me to. Initially, I was on a working 4.15.x version, and the problematic update was to a newer 4.15.x version. I went from the 4.15 line to the 4.4 line after TimeShift failed to restore my Internet, and this got my Ethernet connection back. Presumably, if TimeShift had failed to restore some part of the system that resulted in parts of the newer, problematic 4.15.x kernel sticking around, then by upgrading from my current working 4.4.x version back to the older 4.15.x kernel that had proven to work before, I could be back to normal. But honestly, with TimeShift possibly not doing its job in reverting all changes made by a mere kernel update, I'm reluctant to be as adventurous as I was before. I don't have a specific reason to be running a newer kernel. I just want a working system that's also secure, and I can get that with the 4.4 line of kernels just as well as I can with the 4.15 line.

The power down option was a good alternative theory (I'm not 100% certain that TimeShift is at fault; this is why I'm reluctant to blame it without bulletproof evidence) that I will test should I be forced to do a drastic kernel update in the future. As for picking a different kernel version at boot, I already checked using System Monitor that the reverted kernel version was running. If TimeShift left traces of the previous kernel, it was not obvious which parts were left, if any, or even that it was running the problematic kernel. This is why I never manually picked a different version; from all appearances, I was already running the kernel I was using right before I created the TimeShift image.

Regarding unsupported adapters, I did test Wi-Fi and found that it worked; this is how I was able to post on the forum despite having lost Ethernet connectivity. I also had many other devices with Internet access, so given the fact that TimeShift worked for me in the past, I felt safe enough to take the risk. This incident has made me reconsider my position.

As for imaging solutions, I haven't yet found one that works on encrypted partitions. I'm open to suggestions.

Post Reply

Return to “Ethernet”