[Solved] Synaptic has old geary

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnywhy

[Solved] Synaptic has old geary

Post by johnywhy »

Synaptic has an old version of geary. They are up to 0.12.3, but Synaptic only has 0.12.0

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Geary/GetIt

i did
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

but Synaptic still has old version.

----------------------
Solution:
To put the latest Geary in Synaptic and Software Manager

Command line method:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:geary-team/releases
sudo apt-get update

Gui method:
Open Software Sources.
Click PPAs, Add new PPA...
Paste ppa:geary-team/releases, and click ok
Exit Software Sources. Local repo will update automatically.

Explanation:
Mint repos may not be latest version, due to testing process.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Synaptic has old geary

Post by Moem »

This thread is old, but probably relevant to your interests:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31954

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, johnywhy.

Synaptic is only "the messenger". It will only display what is available in the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories and in the Mint 19 repository. Synaptic cannot change the repo content.

The command sudo apt-get update queries the configured software repositories and updates the locally cached list of available software packages.

The command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, however, tries to upgrade each and every installed software package on your system, for which an updated version is available in the configured software repositories. It will never be able to provide a newer version of anything, which is not available in the configured software repositories.

Finally, confirmed, the most recent geary version, which is available in the Ubuntu 18.04 repos, is 0.12.0.

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy geary
geary:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.12.0-1ubuntu1
  Version table:
     0.12.0-1ubuntu1 500
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe i386 Packages
The official software repositories will not always offer the absolutely most recent version of each and every piece of software. This is true. Which brings us back to the thread, to which Moem pointed.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

yes, i understand.
the geary devs tell me 12.0 is "very old" and the new version has many bug fixes.
Therefor, why would the repos still have the old one? Just waiting for testing?

thx
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

johnywhy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:05 pm yes, i understand.
the geary devs tell me 12.0 is "very old" and the new version has many bug fixes.
Therefor, why would the repos still have the old one? Just waiting for testing?

thx
I'm still using 18.3 and my repositories only offer 10.0. However, there is a Flathub version in the Software Manager. Maybe that's more up-to-date for you?
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

tried the flathub, and the download was 1.5 GB. Something's wrong there.

you're saying your Mint has a different version than my Mint? How can that be?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

johnywhy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:04 pm tried the flathub, and the download was 1.5 GB. Something's wrong there.

you're saying your Mint has a different version than my Mint? How can that be?
That's the nature of flatpak - it includes all dependencies and libraries required for that version of the program so it will work even if the base OS does not have the right dependencies and libraries.

Mint 18.3 and Mint 19 use different repos - 18.3 uses Ubuntu xenial 16.04 and 19 uses Ubuntu bionic 18.04. The latter has more recent versions of everything.

Other than flatpak you can go the PPA route - https://launchpad.net/~geary-team/+arch ... u/releases to get the newest version.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

smurphos wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:05 am That's the nature of flatpak - it includes all dependencies and libraries required for that version of the program so it will work even if the base OS does not have the right dependencies and libraries.
i thought synaptic downloads all needed dependencies. No?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

johnywhy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:13 am
smurphos wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:05 am That's the nature of flatpak - it includes all dependencies and libraries required for that version of the program so it will work even if the base OS does not have the right dependencies and libraries.
i thought synaptic downloads all needed dependencies. No?
Yes, but the repos are set up so that all dependencies and libraries are available in the repos for all software included in the repos. When you install xxx if it needs yyy and it's not installed yyy will also be installed.

The problem with very new software versions is it might require version b of a dependency and version a is only available in the repo. Flatpak solves that issue by bundling everything in the package and for developers means they don't have to release specific version for Ubunto 16.04, 18.04, Fedora, Arch etc. The downside for users is very large packages....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

ok, thx. I used the PPA.
So you're saying flatpak downloads even stuff my OS already has?

Does the PPA download missing packages?

is there a graphical PPA? That is, which will give me latest version (unlike Synaptic).

thx
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

johnywhy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:26 am is there a graphical PPA? That is, which will give me latest version (unlike Synaptic).
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:29 am
johnywhy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:26 am is there a graphical PPA? That is, which will give me latest version (unlike Synaptic).
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
Thx, but those are instructions for creating your own Personal Package Archives.
That's not my question.

I'm asking for a gui software like Synaptic, which can install software from PPA's.
Found my answer: "Software Sources".
I assume any PPA i add to "Software Sources" will be available in Synaptic, right?

thx
Last edited by johnywhy on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

johnywhy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:49 am Thx, but those are instructions for creating your own Personal Package Archives.
It provides an overview of what a PPA is.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

johnywhy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:49 am I assume any PPA i add to "Software Sources" will be available in Synaptic, right?
Correct. You could do

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:geary-team/releases 
to add the PPA to your sources. Update the cache

sudo apt-get update
Now the latest Geary should show up in Synaptic and Software Manager.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

karlchen wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:43 pmIt will only display what is available in the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories and in the Mint 19 repository. Synaptic cannot change the repo content.
Hi Karl

I understand Synaptic can't change the repo.
Question is, why are Ubuntu/Mint repos not up-to-date?
From link shared above, it sounds like it's waiting on testing. Correct?

THX
kreemoweet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved] Synaptic has old geary

Post by kreemoweet »

johnywhy wrote:Question is, why are Ubuntu/Mint repos not up-to-date?
It's not just Mint repos, it's just about every Linux distro. Because that is how most Linux installations work:
the installed packages are designed to work together as a harmonious whole (as far as possible).

A system composed of the "most up-to-date" packages, is almost invariably a broken system. Software updates
rarely have anything but trivial improvements, edge-case bug fixes that affect only a tiny portion of users, or updates required
because other software it depends on has moved on to later versions. Unless a package has serious security or functional bugs,
it is not reasonable to expect distro maintainers to expend much effort on testing updated versions, and including them in the repos
for already released systems.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

hi kreemoweet, what you said makes total sense.

i think it's not realistic at all, to expect maintainers to test everything. It's a total bottleneck.

Meanwhile, you've got prolly hundreds or thousands of users who would be happy to try out the new, non-validated versions.

The whole validation process for new releases should be off-loaded to users. At least for some kinds of packages.

It could totally automated. Any package that doesn't crash or get any critical or fatal bug-reports, after 30 days, on many desktops, gets auto-approved.

-thx
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

johnywhy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:10 pm Question is, why are Ubuntu/Mint repos not up-to-date?
Because Mint/Ubuntu have a point release model rather than a rolling release model.

But basically - rolling release - all packages in the distro are updated as and when (or shortly after) new releases are version. So cutting edge software, but more chance of major unexpected changes in functionality, regressions and occasionally just outright instability. Examples - Arch, Gentoo, Manjaro.....

Point release model - the majority of software versions are effectively 'frozen' on the point release with the exception of security fixes and bug fixes and even then there may be restricted to packages maintained by the distro maintainers directly. Exceptions will inlcude packages were every new version is almost by definition a security update - e.g the main browser packages. Pros - no major change in software functionality, stability on the general software side, and less likely (but not immune) from suffering regressions and outright instability.

Ubuntu release LTS releases every two years (14.04, 16,04, 18.04) and intermediate point releases every 6 months. Mint is based on the former - so all of the 18.x are based on the 16.04 repo (where the age of the software in the repos is starting to show) whilst 19 (and forthcoming 19.x) is based on 18.04 (not so old at the moment).

But for those that use Ubuntu based software there are solutions to keep some software up to date if that is important to the user.

1) Adding additional official repos from software publishers - e.g. many Mint users will add the Google repos for Chrome (not in the official repos), will use the Oracle repo for Virtualbox etc. This is generally not an issue although many new users can run into problems if they don't understand which repo to add.

2) PPAs - these are by definition less secure and trustworthy as they can be maintained by totally unknown third parties. But often they are recommended, endorsed or directly maintained by the software publisher in which case they are fine. They can also be a source of entirely non repo software. Generally PPAs that focus on a single bit of software and are kept up to date are safer than those that publish lots of software, attempt to update system libraries etc.

Both the above methods effectively expand the scope of the official repos...once added PPA/additional repo software is available in Synaptic/Software Manager/ and updates will be presented in Update Manager. They also have scope to break the packagement management system in inexperienced hands :(

3) Flatpak/Snap/Appimage - all relatively new methods of packaging linux software that are basically distro agnostic so that developers can easily release new versions. All basically work by packaging everything needed for the software in the package, although that is an over simplification. An easy option generally safe for all users.

4) Build software from source - for the proper geeks... :D . Effectively this is what PPA maintainers are doing for the rest of us....

Personally I like the Ubuntu/Mint model as it gives the most control to the user in the know whilst generally keeping a stable and working system, although I expect to become frustrated by the age of some software by the time 19.3 comes out. But hey that's what PPAs/Flatpak is for along with a copy of Manjaro (rolling release) in a VBox....
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

@smurphos, thx for the great explanation.

But, i'm not suggesting rolling release. I'm suggesting another model (which doesn't seem to exist), whereby new releases would only get rolled out to users who opt for "bleeding edge release mode", not regular users.

Then, after say a month, any package which has not logged any failures or user-bug-reports would get auto-rolled out to regular users. "Auto" meaning, released by an automated server process, not requiring human intervention-- thus removing the bottleneck.

cheers!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That's basically how Manjaro works....it's Arch based so definitely in rolling release territory but they hold back new packages for a couple of weeks before releasing to their stable repos. For the adventurous users can chose to switch to their testing or unstable repos.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Acce ... positories

Return to “Software & Applications”