When to use 'Flathub' ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

When to use 'Flathub' ?

Post by lotech »

I am testing the Cindy Beta, when I install applications some of them available in two sources one regular one from 'Flathub', what's the different between them and when to use Flathub ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: When to use 'Flathub' ?

Post by xenopeek »

Flathub is a central Flatpak repository. You can browse what's available on Flathub here https://flathub.org/apps or in Software Manager by selecting the Flatpak category.

Flatpak is a package format that works and is supported on most major distros (the same package works on all Flatpak supporting distros). Difference from Debian packages is that Flatpaks run isolated from your system; they run with restrictions on what they can see and access and ship with their own libraries instead of using your system's libraries (though commonly they use a Flatpak runtime; a collection of common libraries used by multiple Flatpaks so they only needs to be installed and maintained once).

The other difference is that where Debian gets you old, unchanging, versions of your programs you get the latest stable version with Flathub. Debian often won't fix post-release bugs in Debian stable unless they are security issues. So if a program you're using has a bug affecting you, the Flathub with the latest stable version can be easy way to get a fixed version. Similarly if you need a newer version of a program because you need the new features it provides, Flathub does that.

As a general rule of thumb: use the package from the Debian repositories unless you need a bugfix or a new feature that is in a newer version of the program.
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

Thanks for the detail !
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

lotech wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:10 am Thanks for the detail !
I too will add a High Five for the detail here.

I have read up on those, and still never quite understood why, or what they are.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
berniewalp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by berniewalp »

Ok! Very interesting. Thank you for clearing that up.

Return to “Software & Applications”