Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ACFireTypeMaster
Level 1
Level 1

Major Timeshift Storage Problem!

Post by ACFireTypeMaster » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:43 pm

I am currently in a strange pickle, I deleted an old timeshift to save storage due to it getting tight (I run dual boot with Windows 10) and Timeshift started creating a new one. However, I do not have enough storage for a new one and am now unable to do anything due to it running trying to make one. I can not open the processes either to stop it, I also am unable to download anything or even use update manager too. Help would be nice... I am using Linux Mint 19 dual boot Windows 10 with 128gb SSD and 4gb of RAM, as well as intel m3-7y30 processor.

ACFireTypeMaster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Major Timeshift Storage Problem!

Post by ACFireTypeMaster » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:37 pm

I restarted Linux and now multiple system applications are broken and not working including the linux menu.

lazarus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Sounds like storage issues, although I can't comment on the broken apps in the second post. Sounds like filesystem issues there... you should probably do an fsck.

But, first things first. If you can boot and open Timeshift, go to Settings/Schedule and reduce the settings in there to minimise the number of snapshots it keeps.

(Of course, if you can't, don't bother reading on; it'd just be a waste of your time.)

In an absolute crunch I'd set them - from top to bottom - 0 Monthly, 1 Weekly, 2 Daily, 0 Hourly & 0 Boot, although you should keep as many as possible.

Close settings and then go back to Timeshift's main menu. Select & delete all of the snaphots with a tag of 'O' except one or two of the latest. Then work through the rest to match what was set in the Scheduler. eg. For the example I provided above delete all marked M, all but the latest tagged W, all but the last 2 tagged D... you get the idea?

If you want to keep an hourly or Boot snapshot, make sure it's NOT one the latest few - which may be corrupt - but timestamped BEFORE you started having this problem.

Obviously, this will free up the space used by the deleted snapshots.

My next step, personally, would be to boot into Live USB/CD and do a filesystem check on your drives. It's not necessary to use Live USB/CD but it can avoid some complications. If all goes well, then reboot as per normal and see what - if anything - still needs "fixing."

Then go shopping to look at buying more storage! ;)

Don't forget to reconfigure Timeshift to give you a good backup solution afterwards though! The suggested settings are close to bare safe minimum...
- Andy

I may be weird but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 pm

when you are cramped for space you need to organize your storage. i disable timeshift schedule and do it manually. at most i will have two backups one hard copy (the first one) and one right before an update. if things go well i'll run it a week or so then delete both snapshots and start with a new one.
you probably need to check /var/cache/apt/archives and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial where your software install cache is downloaded and can delete all files in there

ACFireTypeMaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ACFireTypeMaster » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:26 pm

The problem came as I was about to increase the storage in my computer, ironically, but I had to uninstall linux for I was locked from doing anything in it other than the terminal (apps would not work). I will update to a larger storage and then I will reinstall it or delete Windows 10 all together since I am in love with Linux Mint.

Return to “Software & Applications”