What did Alt F3 do back in 2010 ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bill_steamshovel
Level 2
Level 2

What did Alt F3 do back in 2010 ?

Post by bill_steamshovel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 pm

Was googling a problem and found a terrific answer in two parts see this thread from 2010

viewtopic.php?t=57572

In 2018, what would be the Linux Mint 18.3,Cinnmon equivalent of Alt F3 please - it doesnt work for me - is there an easy way to look up things like this ?

I think the "xprop | grep PID" command is terrific

Bill

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What did Alt F3 do back in 2010 ?

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:11 pm

bill_steamshovel wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 pm
In 2018, what would be the Linux Mint 18.3,Cinnmon equivalent of Alt F3 please - it doesnt work for me - is there an easy way to look up things like this ?
Alt+F3 is a KDE UI function to display the window popup menu that appears in the top left corner:

It's the same menu you can access from the breadcrumb in the top left corner of Cinnamon windows:

In Cinnamon, use Alt+Space
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

bill_steamshovel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bill_steamshovel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:58 am

G'day Catweazel,

Thanks heaps. Glad to see you are still here and giving advice to newbies like me.

The current menu must have been modified, the option discussed in the thread above is now gone

Another way is to press <ALT>+<F3> and choose Advanced -> Special window settings change to the tab Windows and there you will find a button called Detect window properties

....... and for anyone who bumps into this thread checkout this command

xprop | grep PID

that's stunning. I gotta learn more about that clever sort of stuff............

Bill
Last edited by bill_steamshovel on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:06 am

bill_steamshovel wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:58 am
G'day Catweazel,

Thanks heaps.
You're most welcome. Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Newbie Questions”