IBM 600E wont live boot and won't install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

my 600e. It has like 198mb of mem and a 2 gig hdd which may be the problem. everything is smooth with xp installed.
Sorry, but I don't believe that - XP needs about 300 MB for itself before anything is running. I'd say it's more of a miracle to get XP working at all.
//edit/
No offence intended :)
//
Mint is not that hungry for memory, but when you run the live CD everything happens in memory - the harddrives are not mounted at all.
So, sorry, but you are out of memory .
squashfs is the file system used
unable to read page. block b.... could indicate faulty memory, but most likely just lack of it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't know for sure but you need around 200MB as a minimum. I managed to run the live CD and later install on a computer with 256 MB but the top 20 MB are faulty.
This means that about 230 MB is sufficient (at least for an old motherboard made for a slot PIII - don't know if it changes depending on other hardware but not to much)
And it's probably hard to protect oneself when the kids use aim, at least if you mean AOL's hopeless messenger service.
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

When I first read that I was thinking he didn't have enough ram, but those disk errors through me off. Ubuntu, I think, wants at least 256 MB so Mint probably be the same.

But I have run XP slowly in 128 MB. Boy did that ever suck, though :lol: (that was the first edition, before an service packs, so with latter versions it might have much higher requirements?)
Husse

Post by Husse »

That box can't be too old I think. How old is it?
Older CD players have a problem with home burned disks but they have to be rather old (always exceptions)
If it is around 20X or more it should be "young" enough to cope.
But commands to help the player - no
Husse

Post by Husse »

A laptop from that period may have a CD player that can't
cope with home burned CD disks and definitely wont boot from an USB stick
Husse

Post by Husse »

damn small linux
is just that :)
How far into boot do you get with Mint?
Have you looked at the troubleshooter int the wiki?
(Un)fortunately I don't get any experience with boot problems generated by the motherboard but there are a few things to use like noapi......
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I can run damn small linux
Try Puppy Linux. It's not so damn small, yet runs in 64MB of RAM, and has a setup wizard for virtually everything. Codecs are included to play music etc. Your configuration data can be saved back onto the live CD if you run it on a CD-RW drive (multi-session mode), or to a file on any drive. And your kids could say they have a PC puppy!

Another distro that I'd try on your PCs is Knoppix, which is also geared toward running from CD, and can store your config data in a file on HD or floppy drive.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Have you had any success with getting the puppy linux working with the wireless cards?
I don't have wireless technology to play with.

There looks to be plenty of wireless info at the Puppy Linux Forum.

------

Return to “Installation & Boot”