Waterfox not opening maximized

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vansloneker

Waterfox not opening maximized

Post by vansloneker »

I have installed Waterfox, manage to create a shortcut/link in the deskbar, but it is not opening maximized whatever I try. The opening sized seem to be seem the same, the window position random with every new opening.
I found that these settings are stored in xulstore.json and tried to edit that, however my changes seem to be ignored.

Code: Select all

"main-window":{"sizemode":"maximized","screenX":"39","screenY":"0","width":"1000","height":"888"}
It seem to be stuck on 1000x888.

I had a suspicion it has to do with Classic Theme Restorer however disabling it made no difference.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Waterfox not opening maximized

Post by borg101 »

vansloneker wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:10 pm I have installed Waterfox, manage to create a shortcut/link in the deskbar, but it is not opening maximized whatever I try. The opening sized seem to be seem the same, the window position random with every new opening.
I found that these settings are stored in xulstore.json and tried to edit that, however my changes seem to be ignored.

"main-window":{"sizemode":"maximized","screenX":"39","screenY":"0","width":"1000","height":"888"}
It seem to be stuck on 1000x888.

I had a suspicion it has to do with Classic Theme Restorer however disabling it made no difference.
I'm aware waterfox exists but not sure where it's default directory is installed. If I may ask, where did you find xulstore.json? If you have edited parameters in the file, and you're sure they have saved, there is either a redundant or backup file somewhere. I would do a search on the entire file system. I'm fairly new to the scene, so please don't take my advice as a guru. That's just my best logical guess knowing that sometimes files can be installed redundantly depending on the program.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

xulstore.json is associated with TOR Browser not Waterfox this file does not exist for Waterfox I also been using Waterfox for a long time I have never had to create a shortcut it is in the Internet section by default if you use the PPA. Did you download from the Waterfox site or use a PPA to install it

I download mine through the PPA file - yes it is an unofficial PPA but works great - the Waterfox site gives you a portable version and you have to add the shortcuts

More info is here https://github.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb

To add the PPA copy and paste the whole line into your terminal.

echo 'deb https://dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb release main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox.list

Now add the public GPG key

curl https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjec ... keye116477 | sudo apt-key add -

then use

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install waterfox

It installs to Opt/waterfox
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I had downloaded and extracted an archive yes from Waterfox. I have put it in Downloads.

xulstore.json is found in the profile folder. It is in the Waterfox profile, in the Firefox profile and in the TOR profile for that matter. It apparently contains the window lay-out settings.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

Strange I do not have a profile folder in Waterfox only a profile.ini file - a search on my laptop only shows the xulstore.json in TOR and nowhere else
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

All mozilla based browsers have an xulstore.json file. FF does, so does Pale Moon and Basilisk.

Anyway, to the OP, try this. Open Waterfox, maximize it, then close it with the X in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.Then reopen Waterfox. Does it now open maximized?
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

Another way is when you get it maximized hold down the left Ctrl key then File and quit - Also found all my xulstore.json files had to put sudo in front of the file search command access was denied - Duh :oops:

vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Schultz wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:33 pm All mozilla based browsers have an xulstore.json file. FF does, so does Pale Moon and Basilisk.

Anyway, to the OP, try this. Open Waterfox, maximize it, then close it with the X in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.Then reopen Waterfox. Does it now open maximized?
Nope
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Lord Boltar wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:42 pm Another way is when you get it maximized hold down the left Ctrl key then File and quit - Also found all my xulstore.json files had to put sudo in front of the file search command access was denied - Duh :oops:
Will try that
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If Lord Boltar's advice doesn't work, another thing you can try is to delete the xulstore.json file. Waterfox will recreate it the next time you open it. That didn't fix my problem, but evidently our problems are somewhat different.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

If the above did not work for you - you might want to look here

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_custo ... on_startup

Hope this helps

vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Thank you all for your attention and suggestions.

This Mint installation is actually a clone from another PC. I had started installing Waterfox, applied the most urgent preferences, then left it for a while. The troubles are on the cloned version. I started to set it up more to my preferences with add ons etc. when the window not opening maximized problem occurred to me. So far I was unable to resolve this.

I went another way, started working on Waterfox on the other system, the clone master. No window problems here. I then copied the profile to the cloned system. This finally resolved the problem.

One issues not related to the window issue remains:
I copied adblock filters from a 3rd system, but not all filters are working. I noticed this before, it's not particularly related to this Waterfox install.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Lord Boltar wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:15 pm ...

I download mine through the PPA file - yes it is an unofficial PPA but works great - the Waterfox site gives you a portable version and you have to add the shortcuts

echo 'deb https://dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb release main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox.list

curl https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjec ... keye116477 | sudo apt-key add -

then use

sudo apt-get update

This works good, and no hassle getting a link into the launch-bar. I've done it successfully a couple of times, but this time it is

E: Unable to locate package waterfox
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar »

Any errors when you apt You need to check ` /etc/apt/sources.list ` to confirm repo was added
vansloneker wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:58 pm
Lord Boltar wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:15 pm ...

then use

sudo apt-get update

This works good, and no hassle getting a link into the launch-bar. I've done it successfully a couple of times, but this time it is

E: Unable to locate package waterfox

Return to “Beginner Questions”