[Solved[ Can I type special characters with Alt+Keypad like on Windows?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Seffis
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved[ Can I type special characters with Alt+Keypad like on Windows?

Post by Seffis »

Final thoughts and answers...

After being reminded that I could easily change a users Log In password from the now unhidden Administrator's account (Windows 7), I tried it with Alt+154 (Ü), Alt+254 (■) and Alt+14 (♫). So. yes, I can use characters outside the printable characters (Ascii 32 - 126) range of numbers, letters, and symbols in my Windows system Log In.

As for the forum password, I'll stick with my current 8 character password; it's stronger than my online bank account password (ludicrous).

Forget ascii, lets talk Unicode with FFFF * FFFF + FFFF possibilities for a two character password.
Toshiba C655-S5549 Intel I3 dual core Intel Graphics 3000
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can I type special characters with Alt+Keypad like on Windows?

Post by krustybaguette »

cholq wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:02 am
jimallyn wrote:You can also enter special characters using the "Compose" key. To set which key is the Compose key, click Menu, Preferences, Keyboard, Layouts, Options, Position of Compose key, and select which key you want to use as the Compose key. Then you can hold down the Compose key, and enter special characters with various key combinations. For example, | and c gives ¢, o and a gives å, and so on. I like this method because you don't have to remember number codes, and most of them are pretty obvious.

I've tried figuring out how to do this a couple of different times, and all the solutions I found just seemed a little inconvenient. I knew there had to be an easy way to do it, and this is it! Thanks.
This has been a bugaboo for me since I started using Linux. Finally I'm making headway. I set my Compose key to be the "Windows Key" and tried something I remembered from using a Spanish keyboard in the past. Use the single quote mark prior to the letter after entering "Compose Key" mode á é í ó ú Á É Í Ó Ú Á These come from Windows Key + 'a, 'e, 'i, 'o, 'u to wit: á é í ó ú but for the upper case versions it's Windows Key + shift a ' to get "Á"
What I need to find out now is what is the equivalent to using the single quote symbol for other letter like n with tilde, c with sedilla, etc. upside down question mark and exclamation point. and others.

That ¢ character requires use of the shift key to get the "bar" that turns c into cents Similarly to get accented upper case letter use of the shift key is necessary.

Filling in blanks for various characters in various languages would make a nice thread! How about umlaut? two dots above o and u and a in German aren't so obvious, not are the various diacriticals in Vietnamese, and so forth.

krustybaguette
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Seffis wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:58 pm
I was talking about using characters and symbols not directly accessible from the keyboard in passwords. Ascii characters below thirty two ♀ ♪ ♫ ☼ and above 127 ■ ♂ ┘ º. But discovered I could not insert them with Alt + numeric keypad. Don't think I will try it with my bios or OS logins though, but might on the password for this site, if I get bored enough.
Bad Idea,
you can't know that the password input line will correctly identify what you are trying to do.

the keyboard has plenty of combinations, you don't need Compose keys.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
lksjflkjdflask
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lksjflkjdflask »

krustybaguette wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:11 pm
Filling in blanks for various characters in various languages would make a nice thread! How about umlaut? two dots above o and u and a in German aren't so obvious, not are the various diacriticals in Vietnamese, and so forth.
krustybaguette
Use Compose key, then double quote character, then your letter to produce e.g: Compose -> " -> o = ö

Return to “Newbie Questions”