Laptop freezing after suspend/hibernating

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

Re: Laptop freezing after suspend/hibernating

Post by carum carvi »

Helmar, I dont want you to give up trying, but when you are experiencing both problems with suspend and hibernation then it is pfobably difficult to find an easy solution.

My bet would be NOT to try LM19 since I have seen numerous people complaining about supsend problems. LM19 has just been released. It still has more bugs in it. In my recent experience on the forum LM 18.2 has gotten the best reviews with regard to suspend issues. But this is no guarantee whatsoever that this will work for you.

JoeFootball is right about the fact that suspend issues are troubling all kinds of different Linux systems used by all different kind of hardware. But windows does not have those problems, because manufacturers support microsoft windows and they dont support Linux. Linux software in itself is not to blame, the manufacturers are to blame who wont release codes to the linux software programmers with regard to the supspend and hibernate function.

My Acer machine was using windows7 originally and while almost everything works better with LinuxMint, the suspend and hibernation function worked perfectly under microsoft windows. Since I am a rather energy conscious person I really am frustrated that suspend does give Linux users so much trouble. My girlfriend cant use it at all, otherwise her pc will crash.

All in all I stil think these issues are the small price we have to pay for an excellent system that gets by without any support from hardware manufacturers.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

carum carvi wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:46 pm Helmar, I dont want you to give up trying, but when you are experiencing both problems with suspend and hibernation then it is pfobably difficult to find an easy solution.
Not really, it's usually the same driver affecting both. Once you identify that the fix is usually easy, at least for non-critical stuff like network drivers. Display driver related issues can be more complicated.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Yes, your tip could be very helpful gm10. And if it works it is very easy. I have read you want to disable the network drivers before supsend, with the terminal commands you wrote on the previous forum page. Disable them to test if suspend works well without the network drivers.

If the system doesnt crash and suspend works well, are there other network drivers available that can replace the defective ones? That would be great!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

carum carvi wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:31 pm Yes, your tip could be very helpful gm10. And if it works it is very easy. I have read you want to disable the network drivers before supsend, with the terminal commands you wrote on the previous forum page. Disable them to test if suspend works well without the network drivers.

If the system doesnt crash and suspend works well, are there other network drivers available that can replace the defective ones? That would be great!
He wouldn't need to replace them, I'd just set him up so they get unloaded automatically before a suspend and reloaded after a resume. As I said, it's simple if it's just that. But it's all a moot discussion until he finally tries it out. The network drivers were just an educated guess to a common cause, as I told him a week ago, he'd have to check the logs to see what's failing otherwise.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Come to think of it, when I had suspend problems once, I simultaneously had problems with my internet connection disappearing. That could have been network driver related also.

Great advice gm10!

Have you got more tips like these that could be tried out by newbies or other folks who are struggling with this issue? That could be very helpful. Tips for help with suspend are very scattered on this forum.You mentioned display drivers. But those are more complicated to fix according to you. Why is that?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

carum carvi wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:53 pm Come to think of it, when I had suspend problems once, I simultaneously had problems with my internet connection disappearing. That could have been network driver related also.

Great advice gm10!

Have you got more tips like these that could be tried out by newbies or other folks who are struggling with this issue? That could be very helpful. Tips for help with suspend are very scattered on this forum.You mentioned display drivers. But those are more complicated to fix according to you. Why is that?
Internet connection not working after a resume is almost certainly fixed by reloading the network device driver, yes. Display drivers are not as easy as that because you cannot directly unload them while in use.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I have gathered your earlier two tips for people with suspend problems below, so it wont get lost for people who are searching for tips with suspend problems:

gm10 wrote:
You could try to disable your network drivers like this before you suspend, see if you resume successfully:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -r r8169
sudo modprobe -r ath9k
If you don't crash run the same commands again without the -r part to restore your network connectivity.

Another thing to consider is trying a more recent kernel version.

Return to “Installation & Boot”