Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?

Post by whm1974 »

The main reason I never gotten a FB account to begin is that I notice it is too easy to post very personal information that you normally wouldn't give to strangers.

And of the above post is good now to cancel it if I had one.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

The question should be asked: is there any area that goes too far on data collection for them, does Facebook have any limits, or are they willing to set any limits on themselves? I think not.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I never trusted them and my loathing of suckerburg deepens every day. Their blatant political bias is bad enough, but then lying
about it and expecting people to believe them? He thinks we're all stupid.
I'll leave it at that, although I could write five pages on reasons I hate Facebook.
Penn

Post by Penn »

BubbaBlues wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:03 pm I never trusted them and my loathing of suckerburg deepens every day. Their blatant political bias is bad enough, but then lying
about it and expecting people to believe them? He thinks we're all stupid.
I'll leave it at that, although I could write five pages on reasons I hate Facebook.
The irony of this statement is I've heard people on both opposing extremes complain the bias goes against them.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

And anyone who disagrees is called extreme.
kjmcmanus

Post by kjmcmanus »

Big Brother's helper (Facebook) :evil:
Penn

Post by Penn »

BubbaBlues wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 pm And anyone who disagrees is called extreme.
Disagrees with what?
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Penn wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:44 pm
BubbaBlues wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 pm And anyone who disagrees is called extreme.
Disagrees with what?
Anything political. But That's as far as I'm going to discuss that issue. It's a dead end road. :D
Penn

Post by Penn »

BubbaBlues wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:34 pm
Penn wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:44 pm
Disagrees with what?
Anything political. But That's as far as I'm going to discuss that issue. It's a dead end road. :D
I tried not to make assumptions about your meaning but clearly if I am to clarify my point I am better served to make 2 assumptions.

I didn't comment on if you are extreme and who I was commenting on (people you probably don't know) it has nothing to do with whether I disagree with them or not. In fact, most of them would agree they are extreme in their views. Of course those people understand that being called extreme by itself isn't an insult (since you won't clarify your statement I have no idea if you felt I did call you extreme or if you felt insulted so with lack of info I have to assume you did both for the sake of this post).

Where this is relevant in my original statement is calling Facebook out as political is just a bad idea for 2 reasons. One, if we were to delve deep enough into that you might see why I believe overall they aren't though individual people moderating posts may be (unless I am missing information). Keep in mind, I don't know which side you feel they favor but if I cared enough to do it I could argue the opposite side is who they have favored (informed moderates can do that) but I agree, dead end conversation if you already have your mind made up.

In light of that first reason the second would be calling it that way detracts from what the real issue with all this should be. Businesses have too much information on people and all social media, not just Facebook, collect levels of data that take if from being just too much already to levels of absurdity.

So maybe there is now clarification on why I felt the need to make the initial post in this conversation. Making it about politics only appeals to a small portion of the population and causes the opposite politically leaning people to just shrug their shoulders all the while issues of privacy affects ALL people.

But if you insist that issues of privacy are a dead end issue, so be it. I'm sure with that attitude both sides will be utilizing the same data for the up coming US elections and will continue to do so indefinitely.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Penn wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 pm Making it about politics only appeals to a small portion of the population and causes the opposite politically leaning people to just shrug their shoulders all the while issues of privacy affects ALL people.
Also, making it about politics would have made it off limits as a subject of discussion for this forum.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

So, if this were an academic-type community where a political topic was raised strictly for intellectual consideration, reflection, and debate, that would be one thing. However, you have to literally be amongst academics in order for such an environment to exist.

Mods, back me up here: I've never yet seen a public message board where any political discussion didn't turn into a furball.

Anyhow, I posted up-thread that I was going to close down my Facebook account. I now have, and it's been gone since when I said earlier, and frankly I couldn't be happier.

Now, speaking of politics, I am going to discuss politics. Not to have a political discussion, but a discussion of politics itself. Politics in the modern social media world.

Politics has ruined much of social media. It significantly ruined Facebook, and people's experiences on Facebook. However, this is about far more than just a social media platform.

Politics and religion are the low-hanging fruit of the distortion of self-identity tree. I don't believe this to be some grand conspiracy, but the simple fact is society tends to raise people to incorporate external things as part of their own sense of self. In time, this becomes so embedded that people do really ignorant things because of them. In America, "good Republicans" believe X. If you're a Republican, you must therefore believe X, otherwise you're a bad person, and of course nobody wants to think of themselves as a bad person. Now, substitute that with religion, or a sports team, or a company you work for, etc., and it's the same thing.

This facility for manipulating others is in my view at the very root of the issues with Facebook. The fact that they've conducted psychological experiments on segments of their own customers demonstrates they have to know they share some guilt in this phenomenon. I'm willing to bet that's an underlying factor, along with trying to maintain a major corporate empire, Mark Zuckerberg has been so reluctant to get into all the nitty gritty with Congress and others.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

I had never really considered what you just wrote about politics and social media Portreve but it is interesting and makes complete sense when you think about it. Thank you.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi portreve...i think you hit the nail on its head...i myself, am a faith based person (i never use the word religion since it is a man based term)...there are people who put their "faith" in their football heros...there are those who have "faith" in their movie or music "idols"...there are those who have "faith" in celebrity idols such as "the Kardashians" etc that have no claim to fame whatsoever other than just being famous...then there are those who follow "the royals"...that i just dont get...who really gives a rats behind of their opinions etc ?...these personages of course dominate the news cycles which i ignore...just what is it that makes them newsworthy to begin with ?...that of course is lost on me and do not click onto anything these airheads have to say or do...to me, it is all political, social, media, or whatever type of mental manipulation of the masses...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

you mean like the houses that insist you bring in your tax return, and then they tell you what you will tithe?
ummmm, my faith is where ever I am, and I don't need that kind of direction.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
As you all know, the topic of religion is off limits here (even if you prefer to call it 'faith'). Please stay within the forum rules so this thread can stay open. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 pm ... celebrity idols such as "the Kardashians" etc ...

just what is it that makes them newsworthy to begin with ?...that of course is lost on me and do not click onto anything these airheads have to say or do...to me, it is all political, social, media, or whatever type of mental manipulation of the masses...DAMIEN
Taking note of Moem's apt comment... famous people putting the ins and outs of their entire lives on facebook and TV actually serves a very good purpose, though that purpose is, paradoxically, completely opposite to what these people wish to achieve, and opposite to what their followers believe. The aim is to encourage fame and recognition but the underlying real agenda is to unequivocally demonstrate that fame and recognition isn't all it's cracked up to be. These famous people are still human and have human foibles and experience the gamut of human problems. That is the paradoxical point, I think, that the vast majority of people don't even consider in these days of putting your life online. These people are examples of how not to mess up your life by being famous. Looking at it from that angle puts a whole different perspective on it, don't you think?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Moem wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:59 pm
Penn wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 pm Making it about politics only appeals to a small portion of the population and causes the opposite politically leaning people to just shrug their shoulders all the while issues of privacy affects ALL people.
Also, making it about politics would have made it off limits as a subject of discussion for this forum.
Exactly! I stated that I would not discuss it any further for that reason. Plain and simple. There is no winning no matter which side you're on
and it's a dead end road. However, the great and powerful Penn has deduced from that statement that I insist issues of privacy are a dead end
road. Way to twist my words into something I clearly did not say or mean. Maybe you're not quite as intuitive as you believe.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

sportsman

Post by sportsman »

I noticed that Facebook verification is really not secured at all. I had 2 accounts that been hacked. I'm not sure how culprits do their job, but I never trust Facebook especially for sensitive information.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:09 pm just how untrustworthy these entities can be in "protecting" our privacy and information...here also is an interesting article that goes along with my question... https://fossbytes.com/facebook-data-col ... -profiles/ ...Who no longer trusts or uses Facebook?
Stopping Facebook use had little to do with privacy for me, and more to do with the political brain washing...

It started when I had to constantly remind.my friends that, no, European immigrants did not escape to North Africa during the 2nd world war (since Rommel and Montey were having tank battles there, so not at all safe). I got tired of pointing out fake news and fake photos, and as time went on, it became obvious that these were taking on sinister objectives of politically motivation from lies. Particularly left wing propoganda, though some right wing too. Facebook makes me angry because it promotes incendiary and untrue articles which simply stimulate hatred and division.

Return to “Open Chat”