Microcode AMD and Intel both installed?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
papa smuff

Microcode AMD and Intel both installed?

Post by papa smuff »

[SOLVED] Is it correct to have both AMD and Intel microcodes installed in one linux? Both were installed from the latest live Linux Mint 64 Xfce4 iso (1) and another from a Xubuntu 64 iso (2) to two differnet notebooks. One has dual graphics, Intel and Nvidia. I've been removing the AMD microkernels from both which also removes one of the linux kernels for each OS. There was a long delay during the system boot and this seemed to help (notebook with dual graphics only). Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to catch all the details. I dual boot related OSs with a common data partition. If one fails, I have a second one to use until all the kinks are worked out. Sometimes one is the original LTS and the second one is the next LTS update until all is working well (main desktop). Just paranoid! I have separate home directories. The data partition is for other common files such as backgrounds, personel icons, etc.; but no executables. Not a novice but not an expert, just using linux for many years. This seems strange! Is this an installation error for both AMD and Intel microkernels to be installed (and later the update manager asks to update both) or is it intended? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Microcode AMD and Intel both installed?

Post by jimallyn »

Yes, both are installed by design. People have been known to move their hard drives to different computer, with different processors, and this ensures that it has the correct microcode available regardless of what processor it finds itself on. It will only use the correct microcode for the processor that is currently running.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
papa smuff

Re: Microcode AMD and Intel both installed?

Post by papa smuff »

jimallyn, thank you! On my older i7 notebook, removing the AMD microcode seems to speed up the booting process. Maybe just a fluke or some interaction with Nvidia and optmis. Again, thank you.posting.php?mode=reply&f=46&t=275391#

Return to “Installation & Boot”