T-shirt spam

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vegivamp
Level 1
Level 1

T-shirt spam

Post by vegivamp »

Hey,

I just got a very brief mail suggesting I buy Linux Mint t-shirts, and I'm almost 100% sure that this is spam... Perhaps worth looking into and taking action? Don't wnat people to think they're supporting Mint and you guys not seeing a dime off it.
From email:
Return-Path: fardin@crazyapk.com
Given the address where I got it, I very much suspect the guy got a copy of the security breach some years back.

/Johan
Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: T-shirt spam

Post by Dr. Octagon »

Same SPAM goes for me... but, if I remember right, I have changed my email-address after the leak - he even got the new one?!
A good stumbler doesn't fall...
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

How did the spammer collect our email addresses? I thought our email addresses are private?

I received the spam yesterday, 8/1.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

I received it too yesterday but it was blocked by my provider's spam filter. I know the address it was sent to has been the subject of data breaches in the past, not only but including the Linux Mint forum. You can check your email address at the excellent Have I been pwned? site https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

fromWinToLin wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:05 am How did the spammer collect our email addresses?
Probably has something to do with this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SWIN

Post by SWIN »

Looked nice, so I bought one! :D

Payed with PayPal, and the site looked legit.

If nothing arrives, I hope the nice guys at PayPal will sort it out.

Nothing taken from account yet.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I got the email, I suspected a scam but I opened it up no problems. I did not buy one.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

As to previous two replies: you potentially not getting the t-shirt is not the issue as suspected/reported by OP; seller giving the impression of this being an official Linux Mint product by using the copyrighted Linux Mint logo is: giving the impression of (some percentage of) proceeds from t-shirt sales going to the Linux Mint project, whereas OP suspects this to not be the case.
SWIN

Post by SWIN »

Mine just shipped, will post picture of it when it arrives.
Eradan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eradan »

Maybe I'm missing something, but you're buying from a SPAMMER?! And possibly one that either participated in THIS, or obtained a list MADE by those that DID!

I'd rather buy one from the Linux Mint Store, at least they get the catchphrase right, at least! That way, I KNOW I'm helping support Linux Mint, rather than the <expletives_deleted> that SPAMMED me, tried to COMPROMISE my personal info (via the database crack), and tried to sully the good name of Linux Mint in the process!
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

What a coincidence - I made a t-shirt with the same logo and color 3 months ago. Only the incription I used was different.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone of my fellow countrymen saw me in this t-shirt and decided to copy the idea, just like any self-respecting Bulgarian. :roll: Stealing the ideas of others is what we do best.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
WillJr

Post by WillJr »

Why my messages about this topic have been banned? Can someone explain me it, please?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi WillJr, and welcome to the forum.

I was the one that disapproved your post. Your post did not make sense in the context of this thread, and this thread is over 2 years old. That is a very common tactic of spammers to throw up some nonsense on an old topic, then come back later to edit the post to add spam links. As it all seemed to fit that modis operandi, I chose to disallow the post, but didn't ban you as well as I couldn't be certain that was what was happening.

Your new post at least proves to me you're not a spambot, but we still frown upon reviving old threads here. I will leave this open for you to ask any pertinent questions before locking the thread.
WillJr

Post by WillJr »

Thanks for explaining. I understand you have some rules, but I was really surprised. Anyway, thank you for letting me leave this post. I just wanted to ask this forum visitors about one thing. Has someone used a service of link removed this site? I ordered a T-shirt and a face mask yesterday in the evening. But my request is still being processed, would you believe it? Do you think it can be some problems with the site? I wrote to the site's help. And I am still waiting for their reply. I hope it's just a little unexpected unpleasantness.
Last edited by Moem on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a commercial link
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

WillJr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:41 pm I just wanted to ask this forum visitors about one thing. Has someone used a service of link removed this site? I ordered a T-shirt and a face mask yesterday in the evening. But my request is still being processed, would you believe it?
Why on earth do you insist on asking this question on a Linux forum? It's fully irrelevant on this forum and in the thread. MrEen gave you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm starting to think he may have been overly generous.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”