Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
spooky130u
Level 2
Level 2

Looking for a DVD player that actually plays DVDs

Post by spooky130u »

I'm looking for a DVD player that actually plays DVDs (not just the menus, like VLC).

Everybody (past posts in this forum and others) says VLC is the one, but you have to
install two extra packages first. I did all that, and nothing has changed; in VLC:

1) open disc
2) hit Play:
3) Menu opens - hit [whatever for Play, Episode Title, etc.]

For a commercial DVD, I get the Rating screen (G//PG//R) and then it either goes back to
the main menu or exits back to the main VLC screen. For a homemade DVD, I click on
an episode or "play movie" and it immediately exits back to the main VLC screen. This
is not just for one or two DVDs...I've tested this on quite a few, and it's the same results
for every one of them.

Does anyone know of an actual (free) DVD Player app, i.e., one that is designed
specifically to play DVDs? Is there one already installed, and I've just missed it in
all of the software menus, etc.? I can't imagine that there isn't one, either installed
(that I've missed) or readily available, e.g., via "# apt install [dvd-player name]" or in
the software manager or synaptic package manager (again, that I've missed).

Thanks,
--jim

System information:
uname -a: Linux N5IAL-1 4.10.0-38-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 10 16:32:20 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU // Toshiba Portege M 370 * 2.40Ghz * 2
Memory: 2.5 GiB
Hard Drives: 2154.8 GB + external USB 4TB
Graphics Card: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Looking for a DVD player that actually plays DVDs

Post by all41 »

but you have to install two extra packages first. I did all that, and nothing has changed; in VLC:
which two packages are those?
Did you install the package mint-meta-codecs?
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

Recently I watched "Maximum Overdrive" from a DVD and it played fine on SMPlayer v18.5.0. I'm talking about the real DVD format with all the VOB files and stuff. You just have to click on the "Open..." menu, the disk icon and select "DVD from device" or "DVD from folder" and that's it. Or, if you're too lazy, you can just drag the "VIDEO_TS" folder and drop it on the empty screen of SMPlayer - it will open just the same way as if you navigated to the option I just mentioned.
Last edited by Valsodar on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, 2xSSD = 610 GB, 1xHDD = 1TB, Waterfox-Current, (rolling) Arch Cinnamon
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi spooky130u,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

+1 for SMplayer

I also recommend installing "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and "udftools", and "Totem" (& its plug-ins) from the "Synaptic Package Manager SPM" and their recommended and suggested packages. Totem shows up as videos in your menu.

The link below has a lot of good information you may want to read.

Dvd's won't play - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=267440&hilit=regionset

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
spooky130u
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spooky130u »

Ok, I installed smplayer. I started with a commercial DVD (Serenity). First problem, it skipped the menu
and went straight to playing the movie (normally ok, but what if I wanted to start with the extras?). It started
the movie ok, though.

Then I tried a homemade video (Fawlty Towers, Series 1). It spun the DVD for several minutes, and then mplayer
crashed. It never got as far as the first menu (choose episodes, and other extra step), much less the episode selection
menu. It also didn't play anything (obviously, since mplayer crashed before even getting as far as the menus).

Totem works for commercial DVDs (menus and all), but won't recognize DVDs that I made (using DVD authoring
software in the early 2000s on an M$ system...all I remember, sorry).

As for what other stuff I installed per stuff I've read over the last few days:
mint-meta-codecs
libdvdcss2 (installing that version failed as version 4 was already installed)
libdvdread4
After installing libdvdread4, the page (https://www.maketecheasier.com/play-dvds-in-linux/) says to run
# /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
But there is no install-css.sh in /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/ so it obviously failed.

Another page said to install VLC 3.0 since the one still in the distros is ancient. That didn't make any
difference at all, either.

So it's starting to seem like the only way to view my own DVDs is to extract the MP4 video and the audio
(and convert it to mp3 (using LAME, of course). Any suggestions there?

Thanks,
--jim
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi spooky130u,

SMplayer does not have the DVD/Blu-Ray menus down well yet IMHO, but Totem does. Smplayer plays the videos very well though.

As for home made discs and some older store bought discs, that is where installing the "udftools" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and its recommend and suggested packages and "ubuntu-restricted-extras" come in to play. Restart before trying to play anything.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
spooky130u
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spooky130u »

Ok, udftools is already at the latest version. As for restarting, restart what? What daemon do I need to kill -HUP?

Thanks,
--jim
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi spooky130u,

Just restart your computer, and retry playing your DVD's and let us know...
spooky130u
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spooky130u »

I don't restart the system unless I have a dire need to do so, especially when I'm in the middle of
working on product photos, pages, and SEO for my online eCommerce business that I'm trying to get
moving. So please, just tell me what daemon to reset with a simple kill command. Restarting all the
time is for M$ users, not Unix. Unless the kernel is being modified or something like that, there is
almost always a better alternative. THAT is what I need.

Otherwise, this is on hold for now; I can just extract the videos onto my 2TB backups // Media
external USB drive, or use VLC to directly view the content using the VIDEO.xxx files. But this
only matters at night, when I'm done for the day (by force---limits inflicted by cancer #1) and
winding down for the night. The contents are perfectly readable ... just not being interpreted
correctly by DVD players like smplayer or totem (btw, nice ... much more original names than
the DVD player app on my old Mac...its name was simply, "DVD Player" ... really original. :-)

Return to “Software & Applications”