I can't install certain software - SOLVED.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tracyfromnc

I can't install certain software - SOLVED.

Post by Tracyfromnc »

Hello my name is Tracy.

I have been away for a while because I was in school and thus using Windows a lot. but I am back and here is why:

I wanted to see if I could take a laptop with 2 GB of RAM and give it a new lease on life by installing straight Linux Mint. From what I understand, Linux uses less RAM and less resources to run. So far so good! I got the OS installed (Linux Mint Tara, 19 - latest and the greatest) and some odds and ends as far as software goes.

What I cannot do is install packages that are not set up in the software manager with pictures. I know that sounds kindergarten, but I notice that if the icon is a light brown package, then it will not install right (or at all) after I download it. If the icon has a picture (like Chromium) then there is no problem. It downloads and runs like Windows. I have tried to open the packages in software manager, software archiver (I forget the name of that tool - archive something) and the folders just open and there is no execution going on. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Also, there is an nvidia install that looks like this - a package - and it will not work. As a result, I can only hear sound out of headphones. Or at least I think this is what is causing the laptop speakers not to work.

Any suggestions you have as to what I can do to make these installs work like they are supposed to is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I can't install certain software

Post by catweazel »

Tracyfromnc wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 pm What I cannot do is install packages that are not set up in the software manager with pictures. I know that sounds kindergarten, but I notice that if the icon is a light brown package, then it will not install right (or at all) after I download it. If the icon has a picture (like Chromium) then there is no problem. It downloads and runs like Windows. I have tried to open the packages in software manager, software archiver (I forget the name of that tool - archive something) and the folders just open and there is no execution going on. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
It would be helpful to know what entries this is happening with. The fact that the software manager shows a brown icon only means that the software doesn't have an icon in the software manager.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

Hello catweazel, Hello ctrlaltdel!

I very much appreciate both of you for responding. So here is what I did to try to fix the problem:

Ctrlaltdel - I tried your recommendation first. I was able to find all the buttons, fortunately. For a minute I was not so sure, but I found them. The tool told me that everything went through all right, but I could not tell if it made a difference and I'll say why in a minute.

Catweazel - These are the programs I was trying to install: Google Chrome, Opera Web browser, Libre Office, the help file, and Nvidia prime. (The Nvidia settings install went through okay.) One thing I notice now about all of these is that I downloaded a link from the Internet to install the first three of these. They were not found in the software manager. So that might have made a difference. I did a check on these today and the help file is already installed (must have come with the distro) and the notifications are telling me that "Nvidia prime is not compatible with my hardware." :?: :?: (Whatever) But that is an improvement from last night because at least it is registering in some way.

The Chromium app that I found in the software manager is a suitable substitute for Chrome, so I don't have to worry about that one. The only problem child I have left is Opera. I really wanted that one because it is a good web browser. But in the end, I am doing this for a friend who has no computer, so if the machine does not have Opera it's not the end of the world.

I have not tested the machine since last night to see if the speakers are working suddenly, but that also is not a huge deal if he has to use earphones. Would the Nvidia prime not working have something to do with that?

I thank y'all so much for your help. If you would like to reply to this message too, please feel free.

Tracy
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

click the "start menu" and search "driver manager" you should be able to install nvidia there. reboot right after if you install it
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

Hello trytip,

Thank you for your help. I have some screenshots here. FYI, the internet connection is excellent because I have an ethernet connection. (very long cord - for work) Does this mean that the Driver Manager is not working? I also have a screenshot showing that "nvidia settings" has been installed successfully, but I still don't have sound to my laptop speakers. I just don't understand what I am looking at here.

Tracy
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

here are the other two attachments. SMH. It was not cooperating.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Tracyfromnc wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:40 pm Thank you for your help. I have some screenshots here.
Go into Software Sources and choose a local mirror. If you already have a local mirror, select a different local mirror.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

The mirror I used to install this was from the UK. I took the ISO and used Rufus to make a bootable USB drive. I think it was from the University of Kent. There are so many, it's hard to know which one to pick. Is this what you mean by "mirror", though?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so, click on the Update Manager Icon that is on the Taskbar:
then on Edit - Software Sources,
- - then on the Official Repositories Tab ,
click on Both Mirrors & select the fastest Mirror for your Location.

finally, click on Update Cache, that is on the Top Right Corner of that screen.
- then Exit, back to the Desktop.

now wait for a few minutes, for the Update Manager to Auto-Refresh & maybe, show if any updates are available.
8)

The Term - Mirror - is simply a Reflector of the Software that is in the main Repository, on the Official LinuxMint server.
- there are these "mirrors" all over the world.
but, what is on each of these "mirrors" is somewhat dependant on who own that server.
- sometimes it's an University, where the Tech Dept maintains that server, and thus 'reflects' what they are interested in.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

here is what I am talking about:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so, from that list, you would pick some server, that is located in the UK,
and then download the ISO from that server.

then write that ISO to some media, so that you can the boot from that media,
& try out that Live Desktop.
:)

that is different from finding Your Local Mirror, once the New Operating System is installed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

Hello Pierre,

I have said many times I wanted to visit Australia, so I am envying you a bit right now. :P

I opened the Update Manager and everything is "greyed out." How long does it typically take to come up?

Tracy
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that Official Repositories Tab - - is greyed out ?
- it shouldn't be. ...
and the two lines, for each mirror ?.

the Usual Default, is that the Ubuntu Mirror is set to the UK, and the LinuxMint Mirror is set to the USA.
- change both to a mirror that is in the UK.
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

Everything above "Welcome to the Update Manager" is greyed out and I cannot select those buttons. :?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

test your mirrors like this. a mirror is a computer where the updates come from. they can be all over the world but many times it's too far from you so try to choose one closer to you.

ps: do i understand correctly that you already have mint19 installed on your laptop?
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

Yes I do already have Mint 19 on my laptop. I have done all kinds of mess, installed a software updater. I am just stuck. Both the software updater and the Driver manager will download new stuff. You'll see the green bar go left to right. And then it will say, "Download failed" even though I have a hard-wired connection to the Internet. It makes no sense whatsoever. And it was pulling a lot of stuff too. If the thing would just finish I imagine I would have a lot of useful things downloaded. This is getting frustrating, and I am sure it is getting frustrating for y'all too.

Tracy
Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

Hey Trytip,

That screenshot was helpful for this reason - what does this mean?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

in Software Sources > Additional repositories > UNcheck the CD-ROM it will ask again to refresh cache then run apt update again to see if you get any errors

Tracyfromnc

Post by Tracyfromnc »

Well I can update my software! Thank you!

My computer speakers still are not working, but at least the headphone jack works. I'm going to say that's about as good as it gets, as far as this "ticket" goes anyway. Plus I need to go to bed!

Y'all are fantastic. Thank you so much. I think I got a good machine now, This has actually been kind of fun.

Tracy

Return to “Beginner Questions”