Mint 19 Cinnamon nvidia 1050ti Problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 19 Cinnamon nvidia 1050ti Problem

Post by uvlt »

Hallo!
I'm using a fresh install of LM19 Cinnamon x64 on my AMD FX-6350 system. I just installed a new Nvidia GTX 1050ti graphics card that runs ok with nuveau drivers or on my second boot system (dual boot with ubuntu studio/kde).

The problem i have is that is impossible for me to install any of the nvidia drivers (tried 375, 390, 396.. adding the graphics-drivers ppa). The driver seems to be installed correctly, but after the reboot the system stucks on a black screen and a blinking cursor. Tried with "nomodeset" option with no luck. :(
Is there any idea?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon nvidia 1050ti Problem

Post by catweazel »

uvlt wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 am Is there any idea?
You're going to have to try and drop to a terminal when you get the black screen, ALT-F2, I think. From there you need to purge the nVidia driver:

sudo apt remove --purge nvidia*

If you still have the nomodeset option, remove it.

You should then be able to boot into Mint. If not, you might have to consider a reinstall. Either way, post back and we'll try to sort out the nVidia driver.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

Thanks for the answer, With ctrl-alt F1 i got already in command line where i just removed the nvidia drivers. So i use my card with nouveau now (nomodeset removed).
Glad to hear that there will be a driver soon...
Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

uvlt wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:32 am Thanks for the answer, With ctrl-alt F1 i got already in command line where i just removed the nvidia drivers. So i use my card with nouveau now (nomodeset removed).
Glad to hear that there will be a driver soon...
Thanks!
Now that you've done that, run the Mint Driver Manager and see if it will let you install the nVidia driver. You want version 390.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

I did it again (installed teh 390 driver)... No luck!
:cry:
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

Installing 396 driver, i can login but cinnamon runs in software rendering mode ...
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

If you can get to the desktop, then use these commands in the Terminal and post the output: inxi -SMCGx and ls /etc/modprobe.d

Also post the Xorg.0.log file. Use this command to open the file: xed /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Press Ctrl+A to select the entire file contents. Right click on the screen and select “Copy”. Open the Mint Forum reply window and select </> at the top. Press Ctrl+V to paste the copied lines into a code display window.

If you have problems posting that long file, then it can be uploaded to pastebin. First install pastebinit with this command:
sudo apt install pastebinit
Then use this command to upload the file to pastebin: pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Post the URL link that displays in the Terminal window.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

inxi - SMCGx command gives:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: nick-desktop Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.6 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx serial: N/A
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 2603 date: 06/26/2015
CPU:       6 core AMD FX-6350 Six-Core (-MCP-) 
           arch: Bulldozer rev.0 cache: 12288 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 46958
           clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 2051 MHz 2: 1674 MHz 3: 3532 MHz
           4: 3734 MHz 5: 2931 MHz 6: 2762 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: vesa,nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev)
           Resolution: 1024x768@61.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
           version: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
ls /etc/modprobe.d gives:

alsa-base.conf           blacklist-framebuffer.conf   dkms.conf
blacklist-ath_pci.conf   blacklist-modem.conf         iwlwifi.conf
blacklist.conf           blacklist-oss.conf
blacklist-firewire.conf  blacklist-rare-network.conf

Thanks a lot!
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

the xorg.0.log is here
https://pastebin.com/e3TJ85Zy

Thanks a lot!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

After installing a Nvidia driver, there should be a file named nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf created that blacklists the nouveau driver. It’s missing. Use this command to create the file: sudo touch /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf

Then use this command to open the file for editing: xed admin:///etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf

Add these lines:
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
blacklist nvidia-modeset

Use this command to update the initial ram disk: sudo update-initramfs -u

You also should not use the nomodeset parameter at startup on the kernel command line or remove it if it has been added to the grub file. Then use the command sudo update-grub

Reboot. Sometimes two are needed to reconfigure everything.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

I did what you suggested, but no luck... Im still in software rendering mode, after two reboots. I'll try with 390 driver.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

...and with 390.77 drivers, still sticking on a black screen with a blinking cursor
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

If your PC originally came with Windows 8 or 10, then check if there is a Secure Boot option enabled in the BIOS and disable it.

Remove the blacklist nvidia-modeset line in the nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf file but don’t remove the file. Then use the command sudo update-initramfs -u and reboot.

Some PCs using the Nvidia driver will need the nomodeset parameter enabled to boot, so try enabling it again.

After installing the Nvidia driver and rebooting, if you get a black screen, then try entering the virtual console tty1 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. Login and use this command to add the Xorg.0.log file to a file named xorg.txt in your Home directory: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > xorg.txt
Post that file when you get to the desktop.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

I can login but the software renering mode remains... I'm reverting to my old graphics card....
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

If you have not removed the Nvidia driver, then would you post the output of this command:
ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

Another option is to install the nvidia-384 driver, but it will have to be downloaded from Nvidia’s website. I have that on my Mint 18.3 installation. It has given fewer problems for users than the nvidia-390. However, when I tried to install the same nvidia-384 package that Driver Manager used in Mint 18, for a Mint 19 installation, there were problems with dependencies and conflicts with some newer file versions on Mint 19 that would have to be resolved.

The nvidia-384 driver from Nvidia’s website installed with no problems. I then removed it and installed the nvidia-390 in Driver Manager without problems. If you want to try that method, then I can give you instructions.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

Thanks a lot for the interest...
For the time i just installed my old nvidia card because i need to do some work with my pc. It works fine with the 390 driver.
I'll try it again with the 1050 titanium card when i'll find some free time... Maybe then, it will be a newer driver too!

Thanks again and i 'll keep on touch!
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

So i,m back again.. I downloaded the driver (390 from nvidia's site) and now i have to install it manually.. How can i get in command line mode (xserver shut down)? Otherways i get an error ...It's a long time ago since i installed a graphics driver that way, i don't remember it anymore :| ...
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

I would rename the downloaded driver N-390.87 so you won’t need to type the actual long name during the installation. Move the driver to Home.

Check if there is a nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d with these lines:

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
If not, create it as you did in a previous post, update the initial ramdisk and reboot.

Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter tty1. Stop the display manager: sudo service lightdm stop

Sometimes you may now see a different screen. Just press Ctrl+Alt+F1 again.

Start the Nvidia driver installation: sudo sh N-390.87.run
Or if you also want to install the 32 bit libraries: sudo sh N-390.87.run --compat32-libdir=lib32

Ignore the message about the "pre-install script failed!" and answer YES to any question.

You will see this message:
“An incomplete installation of libglvnd was found. Do you want to install a full copy of libglvnd?
This will overwrite any existing libglvnd libraries.”
The choices are:

Don’t install    	Install and overwrite     	Abort installation
Select Install and overwrite. There are actually no libglvnd files installed on your system so nothing is overwriitten.

When the installation is finished, restart the display manager: sudo service lightdm start

If there is any problem, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter tty1 again and use these commands to revert:

sudo service lightdm stop
sudo N-390.87.run --uninstall
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf
sudo update-initramfs -u; reboot
Post the Xorg.0.log and the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log files.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

thanks a lot... Lets try it!
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

So, no luck again! :( :?
I think that maybe my card is the problem (it's a cheap Chinese version of a good card...). I'm reverting to nouveau driver where my pc works. Hopping that video rendering will be not a big problem...

Thanks a lot!

Return to “Hardware Support”