usb image creation UEFI

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

usb image creation UEFI

Post by richard-g8jvm »

HI
Silly question
If you write an image to a USB stick on a machine that uses UEFI with usb creator or similar
does it put a EFI partition on the USB stick.
I'm pretty sure that CLI dd just puts an exact copy on, the stick, but I was wondering about the graphical applications
for creating an image.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: usb image creation UEFI

Post by JeremyB »

I am not positive but I think the ISO supports UEFI and legacy boot and the Mint image writer won't change that as I have put ISO's on USB drive using an older BIOS laptop and could boot it EFI or BIOS on another
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

OK Jeremy
Just trying to think of reasons why new motherboard/CPU combination is not booting off an install image on a USB stick,
whereas another new motherboard/cpu combination did.
Thanks
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Does the USB drive show in the boot menu that is part of EFI/BIOS, some computers will show on the splash screen at boot press del for system settings, F12 for boot menu where you can select HDD, DVD, or USB
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Hi
I haven't seen on this ASUS mobo, the previous MSI mobo showed it 3 times.
2 UEFI entries , one for each partition
and a entry just listed as USB,
it would only run from one of the UEFI USB entries

The bios boot menu on the ASUS mobo seems to be simpler, I'll have to dig deeper in to it
I changed the mobos as the MSI mobo took one look at the EID of the TV I used as a monitor and refused to bring up the HDMI port.
The ASUS mobo brings the HDMI interface up every time, but its very fussy what it boots, it would only boot the SSD with LM19 on in recovery mode
and then in software acceleration.
I found in dmesg that that TV returned an invalid EID. I've hung a Monitor on with a DVI i/p, luckliy DVI and HDMI are compatible, and that boots up with
correct hard acceleration, but only if LM was shut down previously by a power down. If it is started after a proper shutdown it wont load.
hence I'm looking for reasons.
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

The boot menu in the bios lists
UEFI P1 ubuntu SSD
UEFI P2 SSD
UEFI P1 Sandisk
UEFI P2 Sandisk
USB Sandisk

Sandisk is the USB memory stick which has the install image V2 on
SSD , actually say the manufacturer of the SSD

AS long as the UEFI first partition is selected the boot sequence starts
Its a shame our developers couldn't get the installed system to identify itself a linux mint instead of ubuntu
On the install image , both standard and compatibilty start, but after a init sequece which scrolls up so fast you cant read it , both go to a blank screen and it just hangs there.
The installed system only boots up and runs on the second boot, after having to powerdown then up , the same happens if you restart.
There is a different boot sequence in the bios if power is lost previously.
The previous MOBO , MSI when it found a HDMI monitor/TV it liked would boot up straight and very fast.
But that MSI mobo would not recognise the 22" Sharp TV I use as a monitor,
THe ASUS mobo ( the current one ) reports the Sharp TV as an invalid device and will only startup in recovery mode,
Its happy with Philips monitor that has a DVI input , HDMI to DVI cable used , and starts normally , albeit only after a power cycle
I'll get a USB3 memory stick and put the installV2.iso image on it from the same computer and see if that will boot up a live session, a long shot, but low cost compared with the rest so far.

From other postings, the install of LM19 does seem to be very hit and miss.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Trying to help (not sure if I could).

First, you´d better create an USB media according with the way you want to boot/install. If you want to boot/install in UEFI mode (no Legacy Compatible or CSM), USB partitioning must be GPT when you create it. You can use Unetbootin or other GUI tool that need the USB devices been formatted previously or let you choose between different partitioning styles (MBR>Legacy BIOS, MBR Compatible with EUFI or GPT>EUFI systems only) ... and yes there will be an EFI partition on it after creating.
Traditional tools for creating USB images, in most of the case, format the device by itself using MBR Compatible with UEFI and/or no other options are offered. That is a mess as you can boot the devices in UEFI, UEFI compatible or Legacy mode depending on the BIOS/UEFI settings.
Second, every BIOS/UEFI differs and you can hardly compare brands, models even versions for the same PC (still don´t know what MSI MOBO you had or the new ASUS you have installed). The boot list your showing looks like options for booting in EFI and MBR so CSM must be enable and/or maybe legacy support for USB devices. In any case UEFI booting points to the EFI partition not the one with the SO installed on it or the whole device (USB, SSD, HD, DVD or whatever) as they are MBR/Legacy BIOS booting.
As JeremyB told, Mint Live media boots in EFI mode if you can see the black and wait boot GRUB menu, not the Mint logo with the countdown progress.
And third and last, once you choose the option to boot in that GRUB menu there would be another problems (not only BIOS/EUFI setting as Fast Boot, Secure Boot,..also with graphics card or newer hardware), that´s because you have an option to boot in compatibility (nothing to be with Legacy Compatible mode or CSM) to sort this problems or you can edit default option as described in the release notes. Did you try it?
That only will help you to boot the live media, but if there is a big real problem (i.e. newer hardware kernel can´t manage or corrupted BIOS) maybe wont boot at all.
Last edited by JOPETA on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Hi Jopeta
As JeremyB told, Mint Live media boots in EFI mode if you can see the black and wait boot GRUB menu, not the Mint logo with the countdown progress.

And third and last, once you choose the option to boot in that GRUB menu there would be another problems (not only BIOS/EUFI setting as Fast Boot, Secure Boot,..also with graphics card or newer hardware), that´s because you have an option to boot in compatibility (nothing to be with Legacy Compatible mode or CSM) to sort this problems or you can edit default option as described in the release notes. Did you try it?
There is no response to either shift key,
If I knew which grub file to edit I could try adding the nomodset line.

USB3 sandisk memory stickpurchased and loaded with Unetbootin
The current Mobo is a ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I, CPU :AMD5 Ryzen 2400G with integrated Vesa graphics, on board HDMI port.
Getting in to boot menu , DEL to get in to the bios, F7 for the EZ setup > F8 for the Boot selection menu.
Selecting the non UEFI entry , using the linux mint 19 compatibility mode does the same as selecting in UEFI mode.
a very fast scroll up and blanks screen
Selecting the "default"
goes all the way thru to the live screen, with the computer, folder and CD logo visible,
BUT
I have only the top half of the page, two pages side by side, , no panel visible the mouse pointer just jumps from mid way to the bottom.
This could be due to the Philips DVI monitor I have attached to the HDMI port, the TV with HDMI port is causing problems . I hadn't realised that DVI and HDMI are compatible

AS the install Icon is visible and does respond with the welcome screen the install may be able proceed.
however, with the current display anything on the bottom of the page is not clickable as its not visible.

SO JOPETA, YOU HAVE HELPED A LOT, MANY THANKS :)
The use of Unetbootin I'm sure will help others with install problems.

Just the normal boot up to fix now , please wave your magic wand a few more times
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

richard-g8jvm wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:58 am There is no response to either shift key,
If I knew which grub file to edit I could try adding the nomodset line.
You can try pressing rapidly left Shift key once you choose boot device option or later pressing Esc key to go back to GRUB menu (aborting load). Some other key combination will result (in my case Alt+Ctrl+Dell restart PC if hangs on booting USB w/o power-off the computer).

The default option to edit is the first one in the GRUB menu. Try "nomodeset" as kernel parameter. Also replacing "quite splash" you can see where the system stacks and also you can try together with another parameter if any (nomodeset grub_gfxmode=1920x1080 radeon.modeset=(1 or 0)...).

Maybe someone else can help you with that (I`m "only" fighting with Intel integrated+Nvidia graphics primus/optimus problems and kernels 4.15 now). You will need avoid "default" or "auto" in your BIOS settings as possible( preselect iGPU, enable VGA, choosing video RAM..).

AMD5 Ryzen 2400G is too new (that´s causing graphics problems) and there are several post here and there (Ubuntu pages) telling you to update kernel (4.17 or later) and Mesa (even from PPAs as Obiaf as soon as you can. Best wishes :wink:
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by richard-g8jvm »

Thanks Jopeta
I'm very aware the CPU is new, so is the B450 chipset and accept a few teething problems,
which grub file is it that produces the grub menu, if I manually edit, ??
I'm using a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, and there is a delay on key strikes.
I've also found that shutting down or rebooting after logging out is the key to booting up first time.
I hope kernel 4.17 gets in to the system asap
I'll look and see if the kernel 4.17 is in any of the ubuntu repos, it maybe.
GL with your Intel headache

Footnote

Code: Select all

richard@richard-MS-7A40:/proc$ cat version
Linux version 4.17.0-041700-generic (kernel@kathleen) (gcc version 7.3.0 (Ubuntu 7.3.0-20ubuntu1)) #201806041953 SMP Mon Jun 4 19:55:25 UTC 2018
I found that here:- http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-18-04/
I'll play for the next few days and see how much difference it makes.

Return to “Installation & Boot”