Brother HL-5470DW hiccups between pages <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Brother HL-5470DW hiccups between pages <SOLVED>

Post by LN-cda »

My printer installed just fine, ie it appeared on the list of printers with my Linux Mint installation and printed a test page. The problem is that I want to print a long document, double-sided. Previously (on Windows 7) the printer ran continuously doing that. Just to check that everything was working ok, I printed 10 pages and found that it is pausing between every 2 sheets of paper. I'm a writer and it'll take a long time to print a book-length manuscript at that rate. I'm using LibreOffice and tried printing from within Scrivener instead to see if it's an issue with LibreOffice, but had the same problem. I'm printing over WIFI. I tried connecting the printer directly to my laptop, but got a configuration message asking me to choose the driver, and I wasn't sure which among the generic drivers to choose. I'd prefer to print over WIFI if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also explanations.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Brother HL-5470DW hiccups between pages

Post by pdc_2 »

so I am guessing this is an "airprint config": your printer is airprint-compatible (A-C); that came with Mint 19; so with A-C it should auto-config;

if you go to the icon for your printer, which should be in the PRINTERS folder; and right-click on it; look for MAKE & MODEL; drag the window to the right to read the words; maybe copy what is there and tell us;

the pausing sort of makes me think there is some sort of "lack of RAM" problem around;

I could suggest how to install the drivers Brother provide; to see if that helps; ... but one sort of hopes A-C is doing that sort of thing already;

so 1) tell us the listing above and 2) muse over whether you want a how-to on installing the Brother drivers; happy to provide; might be useful learning for us all as to whether it improves things
and it'll take a long time to print a book-length manuscript at that rate.
...... and it'll take a bit of toner but the lasers seem very effective

(as I googled around, I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04OrC0ljh-s on how to add memory to a Brother printer)

and here is the manual page for the 5470 that says the same http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.a ... 000068_031 ... just sort of plug and play if you choose to go down that route

sounds like they say to do a printer settings print before adding memory; and also after; to show the memory has increased http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.a ... 000571_008
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LN-cda »

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Under make and model: HL-5470DW series. That seems to be right. the Device URI is: ipp://BRN30055C8D1F29.local:631/ipp/port1

I'm not sure about the printer memory problem--if that was the issue, then it should have been pausing under any operating system, but it's only been since I switched to Linux, but I'll watch the video. I'd be happy to have the tutorial unless there's a chance I could make the printer stop working altogether. Right now at least it's working with the pause, just slower than I'd like.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well done; if you use the Brother driver, I wondered if it would be better

the airprint driver should be called
driverless
or something similar; and the Brother driver will be different:

you just need to be clear which is which .... you seem a bit of a power user so a bit of extra memory may help; a computer shop would slip the memory in for you I am sure if you were concerned about doing it

I see on ebay is it is $16 US .. a couple of cups of coffee!! link added: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256MB-Memory-R ... 0498263586

and here https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Brother- ... B00FBVB5RK
Last edited by pdc_2 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LN-cda »

Thanks! At the bottom of the box with the printer icon, it says, Connected to localhost. How do I find out which driver it's using? And if it's airprint, how do I then get the Brother driver? I really appreciate the help!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so you right-click on the existing icon as in thumbnail; Make & Model is 4 lines down;

for the Brother driver, follow post #4 here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=275786

as it is a generic installer tool, just use the link there and do as the instructions: if what I have written is not clear, please get me to clarify what is needed
M&amp;M.png
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LN-cda »

thanks again, pdc_2...I see where to get Make & Model, but how does that tell me what driver is being used? It says Brother HL-5470DW, which is the model and make of my printer. Does that mean the driver is the Brother driver and not a generic one? (I wanted to take a screenshot like yours, but I can't figure out how to use the screenshot tool, grab an area, yet)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

if you go to the MENU icon; bottom left; go up to ACCESSORIES; then TAKE SCREENSHOT; click to open it and select AREA TO GRAB;
I am guessing this is an airprint driver; ........ but tell us if you installed the Brother drivers;
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LN-cda »

I'm doing it...omg, it's using 469mb; that is a whole lot of drivers. In process.
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LN-cda »

The terminal wants an IP address...no idea!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

there are two of you on the same area

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=275786

if you do

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
it should list how Mint sees your printer

(the other alternative when the drivers are installed is to go to the PRINTERS folder; click the ADD button and let Mint add the printer from there
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LN-cda »

Thanks so much--I did read that thread, but her issue is different. She couldn't install her printer. My printer is installed, and i can see it with the configure printer utility. The only problem is the slight pause between every 2 sheets of paper. This is what I get when I do that command.

network beh
file cups-brf:/
serial serial:/dev/ttyS4?baud=115200
network ipp
network http
network https
network ipps
direct hp
network lpd
network socket
direct hpfax
network dnssd://Brother%20HL-5470DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-30055c8d1f29
network dnssd://EPSON%20WF-3640%20Series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=cfe92100-67c4-11d4-a45f-ac18264f294c
network lpd://192.168.2.13:515/PASSTHRU
network lpd://BRW008092D8B6F0/BINARY_P1
network ipp://BRN30055C8D1F29.local:631/ipp/port1
network ipp://EPSON4F294C.local:631/ipp/print

I'm not sure what any of that means, but it does list the right printer and model number (the Epson printer is another one that we have in the house). Do you see anything there that's not right? Maybe I just have to live with the pause.

After I downloaded the drivers from the Brother page, whatever i did ended up installing a printer that didn't work, so I used Timeshift to restore the computer to the way it was before. However, after Timeshift, I now have 2 icons that say Brother on them. One says Brother-HL5470DW_series (same as before) and the other says Brother_HL_5470DW_series@BRN30055C8D1F29.loca

I don't know why there are 2 now. I just tested them both, and strangely, the local one (BRN300055C8D) is slower--it pauses between every sheet of paper. The other one pauses between every 2 sheets.
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LN-cda »

Thanks pdc_2 for hanging in there with me and trying to help!!! I found a solution and am posting it for anyone else with the same issue!

I opened the configure printers utility. Then under make & model I selected change. Under choose driver, I left it at "select printer from database." I scrolled to Brother and clicked on Forward. At that point, under my model of Brother printer, I had a choice of drivers. The recommended one, which I had been using was listed under my make and model, but it said driverless. There were also a number of generic ones listed. I didn't know what to choose, but the first one had "color" in the driver name and since my printer is b&w, I just chose the next one on the list. it is: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2 . I selected that and clicked forward. Then I was offered the choice to copy over the options from the previous driver and I said yes. Now under properties, the description is still my printer name, but under make and model, the driver is listed as above (Generic etc). I did a test, and it both started faster and printed my test pages without a pause between them.

I should add that a similar thing happened with installing Linux Mint. Using the recommended NVidia driver crashed my laptop, it totally wouldn't work. Reinstalling Linux Mint with the generic video driver worked fine.

I got the idea from here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=848075 The problem and solution was a bit different, but it gave me the idea of how to look for other drivers.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Brother HL-5470DW hiccups between pages <SOLVED>

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks;

so with any printer, the choice in the past on linux; has been to use open-source drivers; (that the linux community offers);

or the drivers that the manufacturers supply; sometimes the open-source don't seem so good; so folks install the manufacturers: (the Canon drivers seem better than the open-source on a number of occasions);

well done to investigate and get it all sorted; I confess I hadn't thought to get you to dig so deeply as the Brother devices seemed to need the Brother drivers; but here the open-source (Gutenprint) wins the race! http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

you have had to ferret around; but I think you will feel pretty pleased at getting it all sorted; and you will move on with much greater confidence I hope to check through options here and there in Mint as you need them;

well done; you can keep an eye on this forum; and you can offer other Brother users some support when they ask for it!!

(PS I think the URI was
network dnssd://EPSON%20WF-3640%20Series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=cfe92100-67c4-11d4-a45f-ac18264f294c
)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”