Timeshift's Absurd Space Requirements?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Timeshift's Absurd Space Requirements?

Post by VtPoet »

Why does Timeshift demand over 260 Gigabytes of free space for an installation that only uses 26 Gigs?!? All home directories are excluded.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Timeshift's Absurd Space Requirements?

Post by ajgringo619 »

Wow - only 260 GBs??? :wink: Mine never gets higher than 2x the size of / (the only partition I'm using it for). Can you paste your snapshot configuration - I'm mainly interested in the schedule and the number of snapshots to save.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

Nevermind, I figured it out. When I installed Mint, I formatted a secondary partition and called it "/storage". I use this for my home directory via symlinks. Once I filtered out /storage/**, the absurd space requirements went away.

This is interesting because everything on storage is, in a sense, the home folder. In other words, my Documents folder is symlinked to the Documents folder in /storage. The reason I do this is for installing new Linux Distros (though this time I simply upgraded Linux Mint). It makes installing new OS's much quicker and easier.

Even so, TImeshift apparently doesn't consider all those "home" folders to be excluded because they are not, technically speaking, in the excluded home folder. Probably wouldn't call this a bug. Kind of a gray area.

Edit: I don't make the second partition my Home directory because then I'd have to weed out all the distro dependent config files when installing a new distro.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Timeshift only automatically excludes mounts in /mnt and /media, everything else is your own responsibility to exclude.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

gm10 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:58 pm Timeshift only automatically excludes mounts in /mnt and /media, everything else is your own responsibility to exclude.
Not true. On both my mint installations, Timeshift automatically excluded all home folders.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

VtPoet wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 pm
gm10 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:58 pm Timeshift only automatically excludes mounts in /mnt and /media, everything else is your own responsibility to exclude.
Not true. On both my mint installations, Timeshift automatically excluded all home folders.
Timeshift excludes a whole bunch of folders, but as far as arbitrary mounts go only /mnt and /media as the default mount points are excluded. You can get the full list of what's going on by clicking on Timeshift > Settings > Filters > Summary.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Not true.
Wrong. The post says "excludes mounts" <--- mounts.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

catweazel wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:56 pm
Not true.
Wrong. The post says "excludes mounts" <--- mounts.
Wrong. The post also says " everything else is your own responsibility to exclude. " <--- everything else

That's demonstrably not the case. On the both my mint systems my Home folders were also excluded. Ignoring this is to play semantics.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

VtPoet wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:25 am Ignoring this is to play semantics.
On the contrary. I was pointing out where the emphasis is. If there was an error, it was only in omitting the two mount locations.

<shrug>
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

VtPoet wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:25 am Wrong. The post also says " everything else is your own responsibility to exclude. " <--- everything else

That's demonstrably not the case. On the both my mint systems my Home folders were also excluded. Ignoring this is to play semantics.
Let's play:
semantics
/sɪˈmantɪks/
noun
the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. The two main areas are logical semantics, concerned with matters such as sense and reference and presupposition and implication, and lexical semantics, concerned with the analysis of word meanings and relations between them.
So semantics are what's needed to understand what another person means. If you refuse to play semantics you basically saying you refuse to understand.

Now semantics include context, and the context of my statement was clearly mounts, in reference to your /storage mount not being excluded. You can drone on about your home folders - which are not mounts - all you want, it really is besides the point I was making and that others clearly understood.

Anyway, I only responded because of your statement about semantics. At the end of the day you do you and I really don't care. :)
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

Yeah. You looked up the wrong definition, the definition you should have looked up is "playing semantics", not "semantics".

What I was responding to was this:

"Timeshift only automatically excludes mounts in /mnt and /media..."

And for the sake of accuracy: This is simply wrong. I can't speak for Timeshift on all distros, but on both my Mint distributions TImeshift also *automatically* excludes the systems /home folders.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

VtPoet wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 am And for the sake of accuracy: This is simply wrong. I can't speak for Timeshift on all distros, but on both my Mint distributions TImeshift also *automatically* excludes the systems /home folders.
THOSE ARE NOT MOUNTS.

semantics matter. but I said it 3 times now, I'm outta here, gl further.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

gm10 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:55 am
THOSE ARE NOT MOUNTS.

semantics matter. but I said it 3 times now, I'm outta here, gl further.
SO WHAT!?!

"User home directories are excluded by default unless you enable them here."

Tell me what part of that you don't get and we can proceed if you want.

Return to “Software & Applications”