Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schallaven

Re: Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Post by Schallaven »

If When Mint will reach the top again at this arbitrary measurement, I hope you all go to the Manjaro forums and open a thread like this to explain them why they are not as good as Mint! :mrgreen:
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

Both are really good distros for their own reasons, and when combined, are utilized at their finest.

It's fine to be loyal to a brand, but when the developers screw up, you'd care enough to call them out. I'm not a fanboy whatsoever. Just someone who wants this great kernel to thrive!
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

In my opinion, the rolling release model is the future.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

zoli62 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:48 pm In my opinion, the rolling release model is the future.
"Debian Unstable (also known by its codename “Sid”) is not strictly a release, but rather a rolling development version of the Debian distribution containing the very latest packages. Debian Unstable is one of the 3 distributions that Debian provides (along with Stable and Testing)"

I am using Sid on one machine, it is usually fine, but sometimes not so much. It takes some TLC to keep it smooth.
on my Buster (testing) system I seldom have any issues, I trust it to work 98% of the time with small effort.
For daily use, that I can depend on Always working without any futzing around... I use Stable (stretch)... It is what I put on the Office machines, and my wife's machine (no down time is tolerated).

In my limited experience the various Mint flavors all fit somewhere between Sid and Buster.
not so sure about Manjaro, I will test it again.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

sdibaja wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:29 pm
zoli62 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:48 pm In my opinion, the rolling release model is the future.
"Debian Unstable (also known by its codename “Sid”) is not strictly a release, but rather a rolling development version of the Debian distribution containing the very latest packages. Debian Unstable is one of the 3 distributions that Debian provides (along with Stable and Testing)"

I am using Sid on one machine, it is usually fine, but sometimes not so much. It takes some TLC to keep it smooth.
on my Buster (testing) system I seldom have any issues, I trust it to work 98% of the time with small effort.
For daily use, that I can depend on Always working without any futzing around... I use Stable (stretch)... It is what I put on the Office machines, and my wife's machine (no down time is tolerated).

In my limited experience the various Mint flavors all fit somewhere between Sid and Buster.
not so sure about Manjaro, I will test it again.
What do you mean by the term TLC?. Sometime long ago i came from Debian world. I've been testing the stable Manjaro for some time. I also do not know how to place it as a rolling release between Debian Stretch and Buster.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

TLC = Tender Loving Care.

Manjaro is basically Arch with a couple of weeks delay in new packages hitting the repos to I understand allow for some testing before general release. So it's most definitely rolling releases.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Manjaro has shoved Mint to 2nd place on Distrowatch's Page hit counter

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Mint has finally been dropped from the number one spot on DistroWatch's Page hit counter for Linux distributions, and has been replaced by Manjaro.

By all means, Manjaro is a popular distribution since it makes installation and management of Arch Linux more manageable for people who aren't Linux gurus but want a highly configurable and customizable Linux distribution. It is also not a true Rolling Release model since all new packages are wrung out before being offered as upgrades. All of this takes a bit of the mystery and unpredictability out of Arch. Of course, if you like Rolling Releases (and are fond of drinking and playing Russian Roulette...) you can set Manjaro to use Arch's "bleeding edge" repositories to get the latest packages every time you update.

Manjaro is my personal favourite for installing Arch when I feel particularly masochistic, but for all around every day computing, especially for business, I'll stick with Mint. While I may not get the freshest packages (which sometimes cause me problems because of my software choices) it maintains the stability I need to do my work. It's also pretty good for playing music and photoediting as well.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

I'm definitely liking Manjaro. Seems to work just a little better than LM19 cinnamon (open source amd-gpu driver) with my AMD APU, now replaced with a proper but used AMD A9 GPU so neck and neck again. But that could just be the different default windows manager in cinnamon vs xfce. I have it alone on a laptop and am dual booting on a desktop with LM19 and MX linux (a sweet non-Ubuntu Debian light-weight distro). No problems so far except duelling grubs. But that seems to have strangely gone away. Not to hijack so I started another thread above about not needing to update-grub after kernel purge and still have Manjaro on the boot menu w/o repairing the Arch grub.

Anywho, distro popularity wars going to the new chick in school might just mean people get bored with perfectly working fine stable o'l OS's. Familiarity breeds....
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Better indication is where people buy linux DVD's and their ranking.

https://www.osdisc.com/
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

buy?? I can see paying for an enterprise geared OS or paying for dedicated support but.... :lol:
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

this is the kind of thing to get people clicking, yeah i know this is nothing
manjaro ms office online

..but then again
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

"Hits per day" is a rather meaningless way of ranking the different Linux distros. It's only natural that someone visiting Distrowatch for the first time will click on the #1 spot on the list, following the rest of the herd. A far more meaningful way of measuring popularity would be based on the number of .iso files downloaded each day for each individual distro.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Better indication is where people buy linux DVD's and their ranking.
Even though this is all unscientific, I'm still surprised how low Manjaro rates (14th) on OSDisc.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Those page hit results are easily skewed by bots, fanbois, etc. and should not be considered an indicator of any sort.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

all41 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:14 pm Those page hit results are easily skewed by bots, fanbois, etc. and should not be considered an indicator of any sort.
Three lines of code is all that's required :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Reaccion Raul

Post by Reaccion Raul »

snowflake wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:35 pm this is the kind of thing to get people clicking, yeah i know this is nothing
manjaro ms office online

..but then again

I gotta say it looks nice, i agree this kind of tricks probably help. I've been thinking on Manjaro for a while, what stops me is that i need a stable system. Mint never let me down on this, but Manjaro seems more enjoyable.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Reaccion Raul wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 am I gotta say it looks nice, i agree this kind of tricks probably help. I've been thinking on Manjaro for a while, what stops me is that i need a stable system. Mint never let me down on this, but Manjaro seems more enjoyable.
I ran manjaro for a while when Mint announced it was no longer supporting KDE. It was stable and never gave me any issues, apart from having to learn pacman commands, but then I found out about KDE Neon. If I had to go to another distro, I wouldn't discount manjaro. It seems to be well maintained and supported, and it's stable.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 am learn pacman commands
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta is nice for that.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

At the time I noticed that the new version of Manjaro had just been released and LM 19 hadn't been yet so I just figured people were checking out the new Manjaro.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Spatry's "Cup of Linux" is one of the better Manjaro Linux sites. He also has a lot of Youtube videos about it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ry+manjaro

He even has his own version of Manjaro he distributes.

However, he seems to not been on Youtube now for 2 years.

This however is probably what's behind it. Some drunk tech had a falling out with him and then went vindictive when his own behavior got him banned.

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/?tag=spatry

Even in Linux, there are jerks who will do more to damage others than they contribute, including against those who contribute a lot to Linux.

It seems Spatry may have run into money problems lately, maybe due to less income from Youtube videos after that battle.

http://www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/index.php ... 81.15.html
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Chat about Linux”