Storing VirtualBox images on different hard disk?

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fusaliker

Storing VirtualBox images on different hard disk?

Post by fusaliker »

Hello

I can not seem to get the VirtualBox app to be able to see anything other than my hard drive.

I am speaking about on my system not creating a virtualM.
I Wish to open the VBox app and save to a different hard disk.

I am running on dual boot and assumed it was a permission issue but... what do i know... Should work as follows:

-Open Virtual box
-Click File
-Click Preferences
-Drop-down box: Default Machine folder
-Click other
-BOOOM Nothing (aside from my "Computer" and "$User" Folder <----Issue? (here is where i want to see my other 5 drives)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Storing VirtualBox images on different hard disk?

Post by catweazel »

fusaliker wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:32 am -BOOOM Nothing (aside from my "Computer" and "$User" Folder <----Issue? (here is where i want to see my other 5 drives)
Navigate to the mount points. You'll probably find them under /media/$USER.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Welcome to Linux. This isn't Windows. No drives, only a single file system tree. ;)

If you can't find your mount point, the Disks tool from the menu tells you where a partition is mounted at when you click on it.
fusaliker

Post by fusaliker »

Your condescension aside. My partitions or w/e you wish to call them... Are mounted. If that is what you were trying to say I should do?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

fusaliker wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:34 pm Your condescension aside.
Good luck.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
fusaliker

Post by fusaliker »

Sorry I meant that at gm10 not you.

You helped me I got it ty
gm10

Post by gm10 »

fusaliker wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:34 pm Your condescension aside. My partitions or w/e you wish to call them... Are mounted. If that is what you were trying to say I should do?
If I was condescending I would say something like "If you cannot follow my simple language then you should go back to Windows".

But I am not. It is common for converts from the Windows world to get confused by the different file system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_filesystem). What you know as drive letters from Windows are usually just partitions on your drive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning). Me pointing that out to you is not condescending. If you didn't expect us to know more than you and share our knowledge with you then why are you here asking for help?

With that in mind, if you just carefully read again what I wrote then I am confident you will understand me perfectly well:
gm10 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:46 am If you can't find your mount point, the Disks tool from the menu tells you where a partition is mounted at when you click on it.
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Are you talking about sharing existing folders with your VM or having VMs stored in a different folder to the default?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
That will tell everyone where your partitions are mounted. About the only thing missing would be how you were mounting them:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Virtual Machines”