Car-related Question [SOLVED]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Car-related Question [SOLVED]

Post by Portreve »

I realized after paying this image that the belt featured in this image is not my car's timing belt. However, does anyone have a guess which one this is, and if the threadbare spot visible in the image is a concern or not?

Car is a 2004 Chevy Aveo.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Car-related Question

Post by catweazel »

Portreve wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:55 pm Car is a 2004 Chevy Aveo.
If it's not frayed, not squeaking and not causing any other issues then on an older car I wouldn't be too concerned. If it does concern you, take it to a mechanic for an opinion.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

That appears to be a micro-vee belt (flat belt, multiple vee-notches on drive side). The damage appears old, as evidenced to me by the smooth edges around the wound. Perhaps was torn in that spot during installation. (Improper procedure, likely screwdrivers/prybar involved)

If you only make short trips, and its made it this far, just plan on replacing it in the not-to-distant future. If you’re planning a long trip, I would replace it prior to that. If the rest of the rubber casing around the cord plys in that area lets go, those micro-vee belts can self-destruct in pretty short order. Sometimes, they partially shred, and clack against/slap all sorts of things under the hood. If that happens and one is lucky enough to still have part of it intact, cut the shreds off and get it replaced asap.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

if you can use an inspection mirror of some sort along with a flashlight to view the underside, look for cracks on the belt...they will look like little vertical slits...if there are more than three cracks per inch, the belt is about to fail...3 cracks per square inch is the industry standard to replace it before it breaks and leaves you stranded...besides the damage on the belt, i see also the mark in the center, probably from a tensioner which indicates the belt is also dried out and losing its flexability allowing the indentation marks on the belt, the belt being dried out also is a weakening indication...also have the area around the belt itself checked out for any possible bent metal pieces etc.that might be rubbing against and gouging the belt itself...if im not mistaken, that is the water pump belt...DAMIEN
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Portreve wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:55 pm .
From my short search online it appears your "Serpentine Belt" in that pic runs everything, from AC/water pump/alternator/power steering. If it breaks and you don't see your warning lights/ or guages your car will over heat (not good) leaving you stranded. Then your calling a tow truck $$ and getting the belts changed anyway $$. My suggestion is change it. Usually if I am in there changing a belt and cannot remember when the Hoses were changed I change them also.
Timing Belt: If this is a interference engine and you break a timing belt it is serious engine problems. The timing belt connects the rotation of the crankshaft and camshaft together, when it breaks the camshaft stops rotating and leaves a valve open and a piston hits the valve bending the valve/valves and pokes a hole in the piston. This isn't a cheap repair and will most likely cost more than the car is worth. Usually it is recommended to change this belt around 60,000-100,000 miles.
Expensive roll of the dice and your call.
Edit: Also I will add to get to the timing belt you need to remove the Serpentine belt so you may as well change them at the same time. Plus that picture makes it look as if the radiator hose is breaking down and swelling near the clamp.
Last edited by HaveaMint on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

When should the timing belt be changed on a 2004 Chevy Aveo?
It must be inspected at 30,000 miles and changed every 60,000 miles. Warning: This is an interference engine. If the belt breaks you will have serious engine damage. Some of the OEM timing belts on these engines have not even made it to the 60,000 mile mark. There have been numerous reports of timing belts failing at 40,000 to 50,000 miles. In October, 2006, General Motors issued a technical service bulletin (TSB 06-06-01-021) offering motorists a free "goodwill" replacement timing belt (parts only, labor not included) for vehicles with 30,000 to 55,000 miles on the odometer that still have the original timing belt. GM said they wanted to examine the original belts for possible defects. The free belt offer is for a limited time only, and does not apply to vehicles with more than 55,000 miles on the original belt. GM says it is the vehicle owner's responsibility to maintain their vehicle properly, and to have the timing belt inspected at 30,000 miles and replaced at 60,000 miles. Consequently, if the belt has never been replaced and it breaks, so sad too bad it can cost you $1,500 to $2,000 in repairs.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

HaveaMint wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:34 pm Warning: This is an interference engine. If the belt breaks you will have serious engine damage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeVq-iA0QVs

A demonstration of the interference.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

When the timing belt goes,your oil pan gasket will blow out. The valves WILL knock a hole in the piston and the crankcase becomes part combustion chamber.

Proved this with a GM 3.1 V6 from a Grand Am, and a snapped camshaft.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Citizen229 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:30 am When the timing belt goes,your oil pan gasket will blow out. The valves WILL knock a hole in the piston and the crankcase becomes part combustion chamber.

Proved this with a GM 3.1 V6 from a Grand Am, and a snapped camshaft.
Ouch!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_yHtMuuIpw

Step by step link. Looks like a rather intensive fix.

Catweasel, Im still waiting on you to send me one of those 302C's them Aussie's are known for. :P
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I just set up an appointment for Monday at a local Meineke service center to change it. They quoted me $99 (€85) and to me it's money well spent.

Thank you all for your feedback. It has made a positive material difference in the life of a real person (me).

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Portreve wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:55 pmCar is a 2004 Chevy Aveo.
Have you updated the drivers?

...I'll go away now...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi portreve...when your done at meineke, could you report back just what belt that was that needed replacing ?...i was guessing it is the belt controlling at least the water pump if not more...hope that is all you need because as you and i both know, once there into it, sometimes other things are noticed...DAMIEN
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Hi Portreve,
I think its good that you are getting this taken care of.
Its the serpentine belt which turns the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and air conditioning condenser. You can still steer without the power steering but its physically harder to turn the wheel, so if you loose pressure at an inconvenient time it could be an issue.
Here's a video showing how to replace it on an Aveo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Ux5FztGxk
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Portreve wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:21 pm .
I forgot to suggest checking the Idler pulley for the serpentine belt you are replacing Monday. This is a spring loaded pulley that keeps the serpentine belt adjusted tight. They don't go out often but they can. Make them show you and explain if they tell you it needs replacing.
Here is a link that explains the pulley.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/ho ... ulley-last
You will not see these signs below because the belt is still on as of now.
There are engine warning lights on
The power steering will not work
The engine is starting to overheat on a regular basis
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hey Folks!

So, what I was seeing (and you all have seen) was one of several wear marks caused by a sticking tensioner pulley. They took the belt off and were looking around and found it and showed me how it was stiff to turn. I know how a failing bearing package presents, and this was in line with that.

So, about $191 (€163) later, and everything is good. There were two other sounds I was getting, one being a regular tick tick tick kind of sound, and the other a very intermittent metallic rub noise that I'd hear when I would make a significant turn, and they're both gone now as well.

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

im glad that the problem is now solved...the price is pretty much spot on as well...the tensioner problem explains the track marks i spotted on the belt in your pic...all in all a breakdown (at least from that) has been avoided...DAMIEN
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Portreve wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:27 pm .
:D
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

D4vids0n1987 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say that after all this time it is still helpful, my brother has a similar car and could find some clarity thanks to this discussion.
I'm glad someone else was able to be helped by this thread. :D

Incidentally, I got rid of that car and replaced it with a Hyundai Elantra.

Broncowicz_2358
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Broncowicz_2358 »

That is a very odd wear mark..get it fixed..u need all your belts.
Dell XPS circa 2006/ intel Pentium D 2.8GHZ dual-core 64 bit/ bus speed 800MHZ/ L2 CACHE 2MB / RAM..1.0GB/ Ram speed 533Mhz

Return to “Open Chat”